"A" Frame

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 06:26
ThreadID: 14553 Views:2111 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
I am looking to build an "A" Frame to tow Suzuki Jimny behind my Cruiser. Could any body give me a desciprtion of the design and how does the vehicle being towed cope with the cornering issues? Will the Suzuki front tyres get cut out if it does not connect to the steering system?
Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CHRIS - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:14

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:14
Wil,
Going back to my Army days as a Recovery Mechanic the A frame was used to lift tow a vehicle with the front wheels off the ground. To tow a vehicle on the ground we used what was called a Hollibone set up which was shaped like a protractor (the thing you used to draw circles with at school) with one adjustable side which was bolted or shackled to the bull bar or chassis of the other vehicle. They were much more sturdier than the A Frame. The towed vehicle will steer itself without touching the steering on it and it will not scrub the tyres. Always use a safety chain on both sides in case the frame or shackle should break. Might pay to check your State regulations also.
AnswerID: 67309

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 15:21

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 15:21
Wil,

Having built several "oddball" trailers here in W.A., I strongly suggest that you contact your licensing authority in whatever state your located. They have tonnes of info on this type of thing as it'll probably be classified as trailer when it's hooked up and towing the Jimny. Therefore it will have to meet regs etc. It might even have to go for a police licensing inspection before it can be used.

Have a look at the way tow trucks and "Mobitow" vehicles have it set up.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 67323

Sponsored Links