Ipad Mini - Traveller App Location Won't Stay On Always

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 12:06
ThreadID: 145627 Views:1239 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Does anyone know of a way to get the Location setting to stay on "Always" for the Traveller App on an Ipad mini?
I set it to Always and then find next time I open Traveller its back to "When Using App".
I can't get the App to display a proper snail trail when Location is set to "When Using App"
It just shows a straight line from where I started and is no use for backtracking
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 19:40

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 19:40
Rapid

Interesting, on your Mini go to settings, Privacy & Security, Location Services & check that ExplorOz Traveller is set to always in there.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643529

Reply By: rapid80 - Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 20:10

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 20:10
As per my original post I've done that and it later changes back to "when using app". I'm wondering how I can stop it changing back.
AnswerID: 643530

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 21:17

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 21:17
Sorry Rapid

I thought your post was about the setting in the App itself & not in location settings on the iPad.

Help Desk

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923200

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 07:11

Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 07:11
What about deleting the App and reinstalling it ? Sometimes fixes glitches. Bit painful of course !

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643533

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 07:27

Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 07:27
This question might be better if posted to the Help Desk.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643534

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 10:21

Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 10:21
If you look at about the last page of the manual there are changes to the advanced app settings that prevent it from turning off the gps when you are stationary. It states that this is for issues with the iPad and external gps, but perhaps a solution to this problem as well?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 643537

Reply By: rapid80 - Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 16:09

Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 16:09
Thanks Warren. My Ipad is Cellular so inbuilt GPS but I'll check those settings as that sounds like a similar issue.
AnswerID: 643539

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, May 12, 2023 at 16:50

Friday, May 12, 2023 at 16:50
Hi Rapid,
We haven't received a Help Desk email from you but have noticed this post. We just want to clarify that the location services is fully controlled by the device/apple settings not the Traveller app.

Here is the link to Apple's full instructions about how to use/and adjust settings for Location. How to use Apple location settings

We have never had any reports from anyone having the issue you are describing so have no experience with what could be causing your device to unstick the location setting but read through this page of tips and see if something there triggers with you. My best guess is that you have possibly responded to a prompt from Apple that says "this app is using your location" etc. and it prompts you to turn off the permission for the app to use location. This is a built in prompt in the operating system and out of our control so just beware of accepting such prompts....

Hope this helps,
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643555

Follow Up By: rapid80 - Friday, May 12, 2023 at 17:01

Friday, May 12, 2023 at 17:01
Hi Michelle
Thanks for the info. I definitely don't turn off the location service and don't recall seeing any message asking me to choose. Its just every time I open Traveller it has the prompt saying it needs location services to be set to "always" so I go back into the Ipad control menu and change it.
Relax, I realise its an Apple thing not the App.
Just hoping to make it stay on as the snail trail function doesn't work when the Location turns off.
FollowupID: 923233

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, May 12, 2023 at 18:47

Friday, May 12, 2023 at 18:47
Rapid
Just incase you have no luck with this and find that you constantly have to work your way through settings to get to location on/off you can create a quick shortcut to enable you to turn location on/off with a single click, which is what i have done.
It is a bit tricky initially so watch this video to see the steps involved to create it, just make sure you watch till the end where he mentions github.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WIZUhfp22QM&feature=share
AnswerID: 643556

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Friday, May 12, 2023 at 22:04

Friday, May 12, 2023 at 22:04
Check that you have updated the OS on the mini ? as there has been a couple of small "security" updates in the last 14 days.. it is @ V16.4.1 presently.
If what you are saying the Location setting in settings in the OS is not staying on "Always"..do a backup of the device and then the OS may need a "hard reboot", if this problem continues then you will have to do "factory reset".
Hope that helps.

AnswerID: 643558

Sponsored Links