Camooweal Camping Closures

Submitted: Friday, May 26, 2023 at 07:42
ThreadID: 145677 Views:2718 Replies:6 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Public access to the banks of the Georgina River, and Lakes Francis and Canellan, in Camooweal will be temporarily closed for a period of six months, including the rest of the 2023 tourist season, with the closure to come into effect in the coming weeks.
Following is a link to the Mt Isa council article.
Camooweal Camp Closures
Reading the last sentence of the council article, it looks to me like the caravan parks are trying to get extra patronage.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 10:26

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 10:26
Rod, agree, the last sentence does ay it all...........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643664

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 14:10

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 14:10
Yep, for sure re caravan parks. As for the "other" reason, give me a break. We have to put up with this pagan nonsense in far to many situations.
FollowupID: 923370

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 19:40

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 19:40
The irony of your nic is palpable "Aussie1". Don't know about others but I've had enough of the snide ignorant/redneck comments which occasionally rear their ugly heads on this forum. Most go unchallenged because we don't want to make a fuss- and it's not what the forum is for in any case.
FollowupID: 923373

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 20:18

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 20:18
Bit personal there Cobber, but we all have opinions. You stick with yours and I'll do likewise.
Thank you to the 2 responders, so far, to my comment on "Pagan nonsense".
This is a great and successful country due only to hard working folks not waisting time on trivial issues that exist to extract money based on some invented past. That they, in my opinion, are not entitled to.
I will remain a realist.
"Not what the forum is for in any case", wrong, the forums exist, for all opinions, even yours.
Cheers Cobber.
FollowupID: 923374

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 20:32

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 20:32
Personal? Lol. If I told you what I really thought of the ignorance of your statements and the attendant attitude we'd have a forum meltdown. Justifying anything by 'likes' is puerile garbage.

Your opinion on what this forum is for is interesting, if only for the fact that it's comments like yours (inter alia) which have - unsurprisingly - lost many contributors to the forum.

I'm not your cobber btw, so don't patronise me with your warped and ignorant opinion on what is important or trivial in regard to indigenous issues, or simplistic generalisations about how the nation became wealthy and "successful".
FollowupID: 923375

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 20:50

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 20:50
Thank you for your very concise response, albeit very personal AGAIN, some evidence of losses to the forum would be very welcome. Some names lost from the forum, for example.
Please don't hold back on what you think on my account, debate is always healthy. Trust me, it will not cause a forum meltdown.
And despite all of the above, as long as you are an Aussie, you will always be a Cobber to me. As all Australians are. That's the Australian way, assuming here that you are an Aussie.
I guess, given your tirade, I can put you down for a yes vote, which of course I will cancel out with my no vote :)
Cheers Cobber. Stay safe and happy.
FollowupID: 923376

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 21:04

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 21:04
"The Australian way". Roflmao. It's quaint that you think you know what Australians think and why, and can sum it up in a couple of sentences. A throw back to the middle of the last century. No doubt next you'll be telling us land rights, cultural preservation etc are "unAustralian". Your conflation of the council's reasons for the closures with the upcoming referendum is instructive, and little else.
FollowupID: 923377

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 22:40

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 22:40
I read a helpful post on changes to free camping arrangements. Those who seek to go through the entrails to find yet again a reason to display their particular societal views can surely find a more appropriate outlet.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923379

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:08

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:08
This outlet to comment on is good enough for me to use, others do as well.
Freedom to comment is a great thing we have in Australia, well it was last time I checked Cobber.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 923383

Follow Up By: Kenell - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:10

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:10
I can appreciate the frustrations some feel in having free camps closed. I haven't stayed in or around Camooweal on the occasions I have been there so can't comment on the specific camps. The fact that it is reported as temporary suggests to me it is more a matter of recovery and renewal. I doubt the campers will gravitate to the caravan park though.

I have been to many communities and went to school with a lot of indigenous kids. Very few of us understand their Dreamtime or cultural beliefs. I met a priest at a community a few years ago who was held in high regard by the people he served but he too was critical of their "Pagan ways". I asked him how unbelievable the indigenous beliefs were in comparison to the Book he preached from.

FollowupID: 923384

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:13

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:13
Yep, summed up in a couple of sentences, I am a supporter of the KISS theory.

Cheers Cobber.
FollowupID: 923385

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:46

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:46
Good point there Kenell. And a very fair question asked of the priest.
Would loved to have heard the priest's response. To me, no difference between all "so called belief's " when it comes to my thoughts on pagan issues.
Cheers Cobber
FollowupID: 923386

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 09:39

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 09:39
It's far from uncommon that lack of knowledge and appreciation for the cultures, struggles and history of others -or in this case the warts and all history of their very own country - is accompanied by an inflated view of the value of one's own opinion, "cobber".
FollowupID: 923391

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:50

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:50
What is a pagan??

Nothing wrong with being labelled a pagan. I,d rather be labelled pagan than christian..Then again are they all not worshipping invisible , imaginary friends?
FollowupID: 923392

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 14:21

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 14:21
Finally, you have accepted me as a Cobber. I feel better already :):):)
Cheers Cobber
FollowupID: 923396

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 16:58

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 16:58
Not sure why but Darryl Kerrigan's famous line comes to mind.
FollowupID: 923398

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 19:15

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 19:15
Absolutely spot on Bazooka me old Cobber. Just had to look up Darryl's "famous" lines. Found it, "tell 'em to get stuffed!"
Boy was he ever on the money :):):)
Now if you don't see the humour in that, then I'm happy to get you enrolled into "Smile School".

Cheers Cobber and stay happy, if that's possible ;)
FollowupID: 923402

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 19:34

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 19:34
And here I was thinking that most 'true' Aussies (/s) knew Kerrigan's famous line. Google certainly ain't what it used to be. Good news is that even chatgpt took two goes to get it right. It struggles with a lot of basics, but apparently it learns with every mistake,
FollowupID: 923403

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 20:16

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 20:16
Cobber, I'm getting to like you more and more with your retorts.
Ain't life grand when we can communicate and accept each other's views on various issues and maintain a good sense of humour.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on"cultural preservation etc, etc, etc". Cast our vote and one of us will say "I told you so" :):):)
I think the big day for the vote will be sometime after September.
Let's make it a date for you and me to have a chat on the result and analyse the whole issue.
As usual, Cheers Cobber.
FollowupID: 923404

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 14:42

Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 14:42
Found that famous Aussie line yet "cobber"?

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd believe that a failure of a national plebiscite to lock in an undefined system of indigenous lobbying to parliament somehow justifies your attitude to indigenous culture and heritage. The two have some obvious links but even you should be able to see they're vastly different issues.

That you seem to think a vote on anything somehow makes it "right" is interesting. A common enough fallacy which deserves its place alongside the simplistic myth of the wisdom of the majority. As far as a post-referendum "chat" goes - what makes you think that you and I know better than many hundreds of thousands of indigenous people, and people who are directly involved in solving some of the obvious issues that still confront them more than 2 centuries on? Those issues won't suddenly disappear irrespective of the referendum's result. The primary - arguably the ONLY - reason we're being asked to vote is to ensure that future govts can't wave away indigenous voices on indigenous issues. It certainly isn't because we have some untapped wisdom, or indeed any worthwhile relevant experience in the vast majority of cases.

FollowupID: 923412

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 15:39

Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 15:39
You really appear to be quite the emotional one Cobber.
In a nutshell, I believe you have assessed my feelings on the whole issue so there isn't any real need to use phrases such as "It doesn't surprise me", "but even you ", or That you seem to think" etc.
Suffice to say and for your edification, I have no interest what so ever in all the "palaver" with regard to 2 centuries ( as you put it) of issues.
Now wether or not you accept that is of no concern to me. Now, criticise me all you want, you will never change my attitude but, feel free to keep plugging away. I'm loving it.

FollowupID: 923413

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 15:49

Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 15:49
By the way, I didn't bother looking for the so called Aussie line you asked about. I nailed it with "tell 'em to get stuffed" as far as I am concerned.
FollowupID: 923414

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 29, 2023 at 06:53

Monday, May 29, 2023 at 06:53
Well, this post has been successfully “high jacked”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923420

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, May 29, 2023 at 12:05

Monday, May 29, 2023 at 12:05
I'm not interested in changing your opinion Aussie1. That would be a waste of my time. People's attitudes and opinions are formed for many reasons - experience, education, upbringing, rejection of or inability to cope with difference or change, comfort, complacency (she'll be right/I'm all right Jack), ideology, religion..... Many of those reasons are understandable, if not embraceable, some are so extreme as to be rightly completely unacceptable in a civil society (eg neo-Nazism etc).

The answer to the Kerrigan question can be found in this clip from the famous and much loved movie:

Kerrigan Clip.

Google reckons there are about 1.5M references. Rotten Tomatoes audiences rate the movie 92%, which is a very high and well deserved rating for a classic little Aussie movie. Up there with Malcolm and The Man Who Sued God imo.
FollowupID: 923421

Follow Up By: Aussie1 - Monday, May 29, 2023 at 14:08

Monday, May 29, 2023 at 14:08
Firstly, many thanks for not attempting to change my opinion. Secondly, that is very gracious of you and thirdly, it would prove to be a fruitless excersice anyway.
I to, have no interest in attempting to change your opinions also. Not because it would be a "waste of time" as you put, but simply out of respect for your opinions.
Now, you are correct, in my view, regarding attitudes. And to further clarify, I put myself in those categories as follows:
Experience, education & upbringing,
I personally abhor the neo-Nazism philosophy. It does disappoint me that you would even use that term. What a dreadful minority in our society they are.
No, not interested in watching "the Kerrigan clip"., so I didn't. However, you are quite correct on the film being famous and much loved.
Cheers Cobber.

FollowupID: 923422

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 14:09

Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 14:09
Thanx for the feedback to Mods on this discourse, your eyes and notifications are extremely handy.

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923446

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 14:58

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 14:58
Rod N, heading that way soon, good info thanks.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 643666

Reply By: Briste - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:49

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:49
I'm as disappointed as the rest of you about this closure, as I may have been hoping to stay there this year. Rather than squabbling amongst ourselves, calling each other names and insulting each other, perhaps it would be better to spend our time and energy to write to the Mt Isa Council telling them (in direct but polite terms) the implications of this decision for the local community. And for travellers. As was pointed out, it's something of an oasis for travellers that the CP can't substitute for.
AnswerID: 643675

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:57

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 08:57
Well said.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923387

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:43

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:43
We camped here 12 months ago, 2 vans, and picked a good site well down the River from where many usually camp. Unlikely to be there again this year so the closure won’t affect us.

Some years back, when I was a member of the now defunct Georgina-Diamantina Catchment Group, we held a meeting in Camooweal, and one afternoon drove down to the waterhole for a look. Many vans & campers there then too, and while we were standing around talking, a bloke came out of his van, removed the toilet cassette & walked no more than 50’ from his van & emptied the contents onto the ground. Don’t recall if there was dump point in town back then, but this was the type of behaviour we’d been alerted too by some residents.

If this behaviour continues these days, no wonder Council has decided to temporarily close the site.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643679

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 14:59

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 14:59
We've camped there a couple of times and would've probably been there again in a few weeks time, so now we will be using our alternatives and Camooweal will now just be a fuel stop, if needed.

The issue of emptying cassettes is what was mentioned a few years ago as the reason for the public closure of another favourite of ours, the water hole at Elliott NT. Apparently, someone was spotted actually emptying it in the lagoon itself. While there was possibly more to it, I've never been able to get a response from the local MP, who was previously the Mayor of the Barkly Council, as to the matter. I had tried to tell him what a great stopover it could be, but he never replied.

There seems to be zero interest there for a camp, just like for years that there's been almost zero interest amongst the caravan community in staying at the caravan park at Elliott.
FollowupID: 923397

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 12:40

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 12:40
Out of curiosity how many people patronise these sort of places because they are free and if it reopens and you have to pay would that be ok?

Just a hunch but it wouldn’t surprise me if that is where it is heading. The article said it is a temporary closure and the traditional owners were erecting fences/ gates and the matter was going to be further discussed
AnswerID: 643680

Follow Up By: Kenell - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 13:08

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 13:08
The trouble is I think Alby that as soon as you start to manage it ie charge a fee etc it infers responsibility, regulation etc. Insurance for regulated caravan parks is becoming very hard to get let alone bush camps. The way around it is an honesty box. Yeah right - what could possibly go wrong??
FollowupID: 923395

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 17:00

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 17:00
Yes I get there are issues they need to address if charging a fee.
My question was more at the users point of view. Is the attraction the price ( or lack thereof) or they particularly like the location and would be happy to pay to stay there?

It is not particularly aimed at this one location but with the explosion in popularity of vans and camping I am thinking we are going to be seeing a lot more of this happening.
FollowupID: 923399

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 17:08

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 17:08
We have no problem with paying a fee commensurate with the facilities provided and definitely prefer such community camp sites in preference to formal caravan parks where you have to pay for facilities that you will never use.

We're in a CP at the moment and a van just moved in next to us with a slide out towards us. Not our preference, but dental requirements gave us no alternative.
FollowupID: 923400

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 18:18

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 18:18
Likewise, we avoid CP’s whenever possible. Not so much because of the price but because we don’t enjoy that style of camping
Happy to pay for freestyle type camping though
FollowupID: 923401

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 22:12

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 22:12
I love camping there as well
Beautiful views, water, fuel and also a dump point available in town but I too have seen dirty old bastards just empty their cassette full of 5hit on the ground because they were too lazy to drive 2 kms to town.
Some travellers just ruin it for everyone because of their actions
I bet that is the underlying reason for the closure.
The whole area was flooded this year and I bet the billabong is contaminated

Avery similar thing happened at Perlubie Beach in SA
AnswerID: 643686

Sponsored Links