Choice of 4wd vehicle

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1457 Views:1555 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all , I'm looking at bying my frist 4wd vehicel . I wood be interestd in any opinions. I'm looking for reliability, range , space. Reading comments on here over a while , I think the only one that I should croos of my list is the Landrover so I'd be intrested in opinions on the other vehicels available.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Without knowing how much you want to spend is difficult, but Toyota Landcruiser 80 series is hard to beat. I didn't want one at all and ended up buying one - now I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it !
AnswerID: 4768

Reply By: Member - Darren - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

narog or goran backwards buy the landy you could do with some style and class
AnswerID: 4769

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
Buy Landrover and good tool kit.You are going to use it.
FollowupID: 2022

Reply By: steve - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Here we go again. The same spelling errors of someone we all know. Steve
AnswerID: 4770

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Narog
Stick with the Excel mate. You're too bloody stupid to consider going bush.
AnswerID: 4773

Reply By: Goran - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

As before this post is a fake.Nice try Bob.I dont think anyone is that stupid to take this alligations seriously.
AnswerID: 4778

Follow Up By: Bob - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Goran, I haven't tried or alleged anything. I agree that it probably isn't you this time, but heh, remember the joke about Ahab the boat builder (just one lousy goat). Sadly for you, whenever false postings re Landrover appear it will be you that people think of first.
FollowupID: 2023

Follow Up By: Alreadytaken - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

or damien.
FollowupID: 2026

Follow Up By: Damien - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
alreadytaken, what a tremendously clever & witty reply, you are obviously a very intelligent person. In fact, you had me roaring with laughter it was that good.
I must follow your example some time, write a word or two here & there, see if i come across as smart as you. 2 words in the same sentence, wow you really are learning something in kindergarten - keep it up, before too long you may just be able to write a full sentence.
FollowupID: 2036

Reply By: raong - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Narog - I agree with Allyn's advice. I have been 4wding for years and Toyotas are by far the most common vehicles when you get off road. The others weren't much help to you were they - you'll find it's quite common on this forum to find small minded people getting carried away with their petty arguments. I think the advice to give Landrovers a miss is justified. They were considered to be a great vehicle when VWs and Holden utes were the alternatives but others have caught up and passed them when it comes to reliability, performance etc.
AnswerID: 4796

Reply By: Old Soldier - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Ah, this whole subject is becoming a source of weekly amusement. I have changed my views and now look forward eagerly to the latest post:) And the names - wow. I suppose I could be a ROGAN join in but I cant see if there would be any GANOR loss in doing that. I think I will just go and while away some time with a tune on my ORGAN while I wait for the next post. By the way, if anybody really needs telling - this is all tongue in cheek. Just thought I would add that in case this post provoked ANGOR in somebody. :) :) :) :) Lighten up everybody.
AnswerID: 4801

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Well done Old Soldier, nice to see some clever humor :)
Maybe we should rename the forum as Exploroz.circus cause of the clowns we are getting in here.
Like you, I am starting to look forward to the input from these guys for the humor content it provides. On the bright side, these fellows do prove there are more stupid ppl than us out there..scary eh???
FollowupID: 2037

Follow Up By: Tony - Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
ROFL....Very clever Old Soldier!
FollowupID: 2055

Follow Up By: Rango - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Well done Old Soldier. What do you drive?
FollowupID: 2078

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
g'day rango, some could ask do you drive a rangie with that variation :):). I currently drive a V6 Jacka after a having Patrols for the last few years. Am currently on the road north and reading this at a friends place in Mackay - Getting warmer as we head north to the good fishing spots. Enjoy
FollowupID: 2089

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
AH,some of you should indeed go and play on your own ORGANS.For those like Bob(without one) i will be happy to provide mine....:-)
AnswerID: 4835

Reply By: Definate110 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Narog....

Cross LR of your list??? Well that would be absolutley unconcevially stupid! I am not quite sure where you get your advice from, but that sounds like someone who really has no idea what they are talking about... or an idiot. You should never cross any manufacturer of any vehicle of your 'list' test them all, actually drive the cars around for yourslef and see how they perform. If you want to do some real 4 wheeling, then live axle will be your only option, so that counts out most of the Japanese vehicles, (except the big 2) You will also need something that has a fair amount of wheel travel, maybe this comes standard.. That also wipes a few cars off your list. Next have a look at the required space that you need. If you want to travel/tour, then you can forget some of the smaller model 4x4's. Lastly you need to have a good think about the motor. I would reccommend T/D, but others may say petrol. OH, and one more.... Style. (something that most Japanese cars have forgottem....) OH WOW I THINK THE CAR THAT YOU NEED IS.... you guessed it a LandRover Defender!

ENJOY!
AnswerID: 4839

Reply By: Definate110 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Narog....

Cross LR of your list??? Well that would be absolutely unconceivably stupid! I am not quite sure where you get your advice from, but that sounds like someone who really has no idea what they are talking about... or an idiot and I am sure Narog you are no idiot?. You should never cross any manufacturer of any vehicle of your 'list' - test them all, actually drive the cars around for yourself and see how they perform. If you want to do some real 4 wheeling, then live axle will be your only option, so that counts out most of the Japanese vehicles, (except the big 2) You will also need something that has a fair amount of wheel travel, maybe this comes standard (I can think of only two models that have this). Next have a look at the required space that you need. If you want to travel/tour, then you can forget some of the smaller model 4x4's as you will need plenty of cargo space. Lastly you need to have a good think about the motor. I would recommend T/D, but others may say petrol. OH, and one more.... Style. (something that most Japanese cars have forgotten....) OH WOW I THINK THE CAR THAT YOU NEED IS.... you guessed it a Landover Defender!

ENJOY!
AnswerID: 4840

Follow Up By: Bob - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry definite 110, can't agree with you. I have a lot of experience with your vehicle. I pass them often as they bounce slowly along highways. I have helped recover them from bogs and twice have helped owners when they've had mechanical breakdowns.
FollowupID: 2077

Reply By: Definate110 - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Bob,

That is really helpfull mate. Sounds like you know exactly what you are talking about. I must keep an eye out for your posts in the future.... they are a top read after all... And speak with so much experience. Well done!

BTW: Have a read of the following... It might help you sleep tonight.

"This past weekend I have been reading all the Land Rover Defender tests in motoring magazines of the last 5 – 6 years that I possess. Most of these tests were comparison tests and there are a lot of “buyers guides” as well. And once again I was reminded of why I decided to purchase a Defender. It is my second Defender, the first being a 300Tdi CSW, and now a Td5 CSW and although I have been somewhat disappointed here and there with the build quality and after sales service, I still love the vehicle and I think it’s extremely capable off road.

Most of the magazine’s road tests rated a vehicle 1 – 5 off road and 1 – 5 on road, 5 being the highest. I’m not even going to mention the on road scores for the Defender because I believe them to be irrelevant. However, through ALL the tests only 2 vehicles EVER received 5 for off road ability: The Defender and Land Cruiser pickup. It is also noteworthy that both these vehicles have no axle difflocks. And throughout all of these tests (about 6 tests involving the Defender) no one mentions the fact that a difflock was needed or hampered ability etc. In the latest magazine I purchased they discuss over 180 trails and routes you can do throughout Southern Africa and the routes are rated 1 – 5 as well. In the back of the Magazine they rate the vehicles so that one can compare the trails with the vehicles that will be able to complete them. Once again the Defender, Land Cruiser pickup and (for the first time) Nissan Patrol are the only vehicles given a 5 rating as standard.

My point is actually simple. Even with only a transfer case lock (center difflock) the Defender still rates higher than any of the new technology driven vehicles including the Grand Cherokee, Disco and Land Cruiser 100 series (all three received 4). Sure, I’ve seen little Suzuki 4x4s doing better in thick sand than either Defender or Cruiser, but there are always areas where you will pay for weight. The truth is that as far as a serious long range safari vehicle (not a weekend play thing) goes, the Defender is still rated as the one others can only try to measure up to."

Courtesy of G Jordaan.

Sweet Dreams Bob....
AnswerID: 4879

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
Oh dear ... you obviously believe all you read in magazines. Next you'll tell me you believe all you read in newspapers. Make your judgements on vehicles in situations you are able to observe yourself, speak to owners who have had vehicles. They will almost always say something along the lines of ... it does this or that but "I still love it". I know of one whose 4year old vehicle leaks copious dust, leaks oil and diesel, and had major engine surgery .... but he still thinks it's great!!!
Again ... judge by what you see and hear, not by what is written by people with vested interests driving new vehicles.
FollowupID: 2166

Sponsored Links