SUZUKI LX7 dual range question

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 23:28
ThreadID: 14578 Views:4262 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Thinking of signing for one this week.

I recently read a report on the jeep that said that the 4H range was only selectable after sliding the shift through the $H locked selection.

I was womdering if this is the case for the Suzuki as well?

SO there is 2H 4H and L - is that right?
Is the 4H slection -what is called - locked ? I know it has a viscous coupled centre diff but I read s areport that said that in $H the front hubs were locked -
is that right?
What does that mean?
I cant use this mode for bitumin?
Or if I do I risk reduced steering and extra front tyre wear?

Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: a2814410 - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:59

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:59
I have a 2004 XL7, there are 4 positions on the 'range' selector shift. 2H, push forwards to 4H. This can be done at speeds of up to 100km/h while traveling in a straignt line. Moving from 2H to 4H engauges the front differential and then engauges the air operated axles to the diff. There are no freewheeling hubs as the engaugement happens in the differential end. If you then stop (and I do mean stop), put the gearbox selector into N or P, you can shift the 'range' selector to the left, which is 'N' or neutral from the range selector. This enables the vehicle to be flat towed without turning the odomoter. From there you push forwards again to enter 4L.

There is no viscous coupling, it is a full differential in the centre so use with care on the black stuff. I have used it in heavy rain, and you can feel the windup in the drive train after a few corners in the steering.

Greg
XL-7
AnswerID: 67430

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 15:41

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 15:41
There is NO center differential of any kind, that is why you get "wind up". Do not use 4H on the blacktop (even in rain!), you will damage the transfer case or other part of the driveline.
FollowupID: 328156

Reply By: muppo - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:22

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:22
Dont bother signing there are better vehicles around, I had a XL7 Limited for 18 months and hated it!
AnswerID: 67471

Follow Up By: Joe - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:48

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:48
Muppo,
What gets your vote in this catagory?
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 328172

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 23:07

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 23:07
I'd be interested to hear your reasons, Muppo. I've had a new XL7 for two weeks now - not long, I know, but I've just returned from a long weekend trip to outback NSW and I'm happy with my choice. Didn't have much occasion to even engage 4wd hi (except in some deepish bulldust around Mungo National Park) but very pleased with general behaviour both on corrugated dirt tracks and the blacktop.
FollowupID: 328234

Follow Up By: MrMagoo - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:55
Muppo,
Low 40K's and Low Range sort of limits my options. I guess it is still one step better - having low range than the X-Trail but it misses out on the Torque distribution system 4Auto that X-Trail has.

So the question is - will the suzuki go where the X-Trail Wont?

PS: what 'other' do you suggest? I was thinking of the Terracan but it will cost me extra 2K in petrol a year.
Magoo (crosseyed again)
FollowupID: 328343

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:14
Magoo, if by "low 40ks" you mean the price you're paying too much. I got mine for 37k, on the road, with roofrack accessory pack thrown in and Yokohama A/T tyres fitted instead of the stock Bridgstone H/Ts. And that was In Sydney - in QLD you'll be able to do even better.
Email me if you want advice on how to get that sort of price. As to the XTrail question: a hell of a lot further...
FollowupID: 328346

Reply By: muppo - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 20:39
Mine was a October 2002 build.
The bad
-three transmission mounts replaced
-I changed the springs and shocks because the soggy rear end was dangerous on high twisty roads(you wont notice it on a new vehicle but after you put some kays on it youll see it and it gets worse)
-the base of the drivers seat has no support so you get the bottom of the backrest in you lower back
-the third row seats dont fold flat so packing a fridge in the back is fun.
-the dashlights have no dimmer so long stints of night driving have your eyes bulging out.
-the radio has a delay turning off when you have something plugged in the ciggie lighter socket.
-60 series tyres mean you cant have LT tyres and if you upsize then your speedos out.
-no cruise control so I fitted the Autron one but it was not user friendly.
-450kgs towing capacity without brakes means towing a 4mtr tinnie is illegal.
-baby seat acnchor point is behind the driver not the kerb side.

The good.
- the fuel economy was excellent, 10ltr/100 city 9ltr/100 h/way 12.5ltr/100 towing.
-it went everywhere it pointed it, high range low range it did it.
-great little motor, a bit sluggish at first but once it had a 5k on it, it was great.
-dual air con best thing invented

The choice
First, Terracan because of the extra size and space. It has Pajero motor and running gear.
Second, the Kia Sorrento if you dont need the extra space and it too has Mitsubishi gear in it.
Both vehicles have better shoulder and legroom, the XL7 has a very narrow body.
Both manufacturers build heavy commercial vehicles so they know how to put them together, not like their lttle buzz boxes.
Fit and finish is better with more features. The Sorrento is a little more moden looking.
One bad thing I forgot is the resale of the XL7 is shocking, I dropped 20k on trade in 18mths later, too much competition form Vitara on used market.
Terracan and Sorrento resale? At least they arent competing with their own brand.

And for the record I now own a new Pajero and have had three 4wds previously.
AnswerID: 67806

Sponsored Links