Subaru Forrester 2001

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:10
ThreadID: 14585 Views:2588 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are complete novices and are planning a trip through Qld and up to Darwin but we were wondering the capabilities of the Forrester, off road, as it is an all Wheel Drive not 4wd drive and don't really know if what sort of roads we could take it on.
We will be towing an Avan but thought we could do trips of a day on tracks with the Subaru
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sdc - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:27

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:27
I have a Forrester and you will find you are able to go most places with no difficulty remembering ground clearance and wheel travel are the limitations. I would suggest fitting an Aluminium sump guard as the only necessary modification but you may like to also consider a switch to isolate the radiator fan for water crossings.

Really your major limitation in your lack of experience. Let caution be your guide (but be a little adventurous) and you will have a grest holiday.
AnswerID: 67420

Reply By: DaveNJude - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 14:37

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 14:37
Ozie

I second that about the sumpguard, I smashed the plastic one the first time I hit some serious ruts so now I have an alloy one from SubaXtreme which seems fine. The other thing I plan on getting is manual winch just in case. I know they are not easy to use but as insurance they are worth it. Lack of clearance is the price you pay with a "softroader" but otherwise they are great

Happy travels

DaveNJude
http://home.iprimus.com.au/daveju/Caravan/Caravan.htm
AnswerID: 67449

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:28

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:28
The Forester will cope with conditions harder than you would probably ever dream of tackling!.
The Subaru Club in your state could offer you good advice.

As mentioned, a sump guard is important - it is a pity that Subaru don't fit them anymore, or even offer them as an option. A steel guard is preferable, they bend and don't crack like the cast aluminium one recomended above. A guard off any older model Subaru can be easily modified to fit.
Tyres are another weak point on ALL 4WD's - change from the standard H/T to A/T - your car has 15" wheels and there is a lot of choice in A/T tyres available.
If your car has self leveling suspension, be careful not to overload the rear suspension, the SLS is prone to fail if heavilly 'stressed' - SubaExtreme make suspension options for most Subaru models.

Good luck
AnswerID: 67493

Reply By: ozie - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:35

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:35
Thankyou for your replies. We now feel confident we can do a few extra tracks along the way.
AnswerID: 67497

Sponsored Links