Speeding - Vic

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:45
ThreadID: 14596 Views:2023 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I was reading a somewhat old posting re the tolerance of the speed cameras in Vic and wonder if perhaps NSW hasn't actually got something going for it!
I have lived in SA (25 years), Vic (20 years) and NSW (10 years) and while I cannot remember SA I was young and stupid anyway so probably deserved whatever tickets I got -
I do remember Vic They were the days of unmarked cars (usually camouflaged) on the side of the road with cameras attached to the front - The technique was to treat any parked car with great suspicion, especially if it was not parked in a "natural" position.
At least in NSW these days they tend to tell you where the camers are and the boys in blue obviously exercise some common sense as far as tolerence is concerned when they are in their cars - we have the side only marked cars etc, not a problem really unless you indulge in excessive speeding or road rage. One thing - they tend to leave you alone in peak traffic and drive you mad off peak when they earn their quota.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:08

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:08
I have never worried about speed cameras as i don't speed(ever) aND NO I DON'T DRIVE A DIESEL LOL
AnswerID: 67482

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:39

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:39
I love it when people say things like that, it's so good when they do get pinged because they sneezed or were changing radio stations while going down a hill because they get even more angry than the rest of us!
I don't speed, quite often I'll do 5 over depending on the road but I only have 1 point left. I drive all day everyday. (mind you I did loose 6 points on the motorbike in one fine before I sold it). But still I have lost 5 points over 3 years (not counting the bike) and while driving cars I just don't speed. They will get you. If you spend enough time behind the wheel they will get you, noone can tell me that the needle has never gone more than 10ks past the speed limit ever, if you do you're lying. It's just impossible to ensure that every single second your on the road you are under the speed limit, even with cruise control. I find nowadays I spend more time looking at the oncomming traffic, the side of the road and my speedo than I do looking for small children or the brake lights of the car infront of me. Bloody rediculous.
FollowupID: 328184

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:54

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:54
Jeff......i had both hands touching wood when i was typing it. 19 years on the road now so i spose u could be right. My time will come. Speeding tickets are worth a carton or 2 of my favourite brew so i hope its later rather than sooner.
FollowupID: 328192

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 21:25

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 21:25
Jeff, I totaly agree with what you said, last week I did a short trip with the family and I don't like to speed in the Nissan, don't see the point, but it was exactly as you wrote, a couple of distractions like sorting out the kids with the "stop looking out my window" rubbish, and the needle was 10 k's over before I knew it, and the constant focusing on the speedo instead of everything else is a real worry, but the mongrels have us so worried about going even 1 or 2 k's over we don't have a lot of choice.

It's good to know if we do clean someone up because of it we probably wont have been speeding at the time...yep, bloody ridiculous

FollowupID: 328217

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 13:05

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 13:05
totally agree with Jeff's comments. Brew - if you have NEVER gone over the limit, it means that you are generally driving under the limit and holding people up, causing frustration and potentially accidents (e.g. risky overtaking moves). And I agree with Jeff that if you have to concentrate so much on checking your speed limit, checking for speed signs and checking for cameras/police, then you are not able to concentrate on what really matters for safety - i.e. driving!
FollowupID: 328263

Reply By: mr diamond - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:10

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:10
also in vic the cameras(some) are run bye private people.
so you could be booked bye a hq holden.
AnswerID: 67486

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:22

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:22
I always say: You do the crime you to the time. I have been booked doing 122kmh along the road cruise control set and sitting back enjoying the sunshine, do the crime, do the time. accepted. Doing 104 in a 100kmh zone to me is not a crime. Any statutory bodies that persist in attaching speed to added risk of accidents are full of it I reckon, and even now they are saying that 5kmh faster in a 60kmh zone is akin to driving with double the 0.05 alcohol limit what a load of tripe! These days speed isnt about safety its about revenue, pure and simple, and as soon as the government drop this stupid points system and admit that revenue is the aim, then the better off we'll all be. Then all I have to do is budget a lazy $1000 for speeding taxes and life could be a dream...sha boom, sha boom
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 67491

Reply By: WDR - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:50

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:50
It would take some organising but could you imagine a peaceful protest along the lines of 20K below the posted speed limit by everyone in Vic - Excepting when the speed limit is 20k or less of course.
Buses etc would not participate but truckies who drive all day around town might.
Advertise it far enough in front and get some TV coverage and I reckon you will stop the state govt in its tracks - especially given their recent need to refund fines etc - imagine the global publicity - they could just not tolerate it or allow it to happen (they are pollies after all) more than once and the rest of the state govts would fall into line - perhaps it would be a global thing?
Fair is fair - Lets force the little darlings to stop pretending to reduce the road toll by grabbing revenue for speeding 4k over the limit and force them to take it for speeding past schools etc
AnswerID: 67500

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:59

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:59
One time I got done for speeding on the main highway north outtta Sydney.Speed was 140 in 110 zone.I thought I was driving a 1.1 litre car and was amazed by the power.Turns out it was a 1.6 litre car and before I knew it i was doing 140kph.
Anyway I knew I was wrong and didn't even bother for the cop to catch up. I just pulled over and waited for him.
Wasn't he suprised when he wrote the ticket as I was driving a VIC registered car in NSW and I had a QLD licence.
We had flown down to sydney for a wedding and we had hired a avis car and all they had was this VIC car. We asked for the cheapest car and we thought it would be a 1.1 litre vehicle.

Anyway this cop asked me if I needed my licence for work. I most certainly do says I, so he knocked the ticket back down to 138 kph so I would not lose my licence. Anyway I paid the fine after I got home and never heard any more about it and have recently found out I have all my points.
The moral of this story?
I did the wrong thing and paid for it. Now I look twice before doing the wrong thing. ;-)

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 67512

Reply By: Member - Bernard - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:42
110 kph is 68.35 mph ... years ago when we had real figures like mph, mpg etc, the prima facie speed limit was 70 mph on just about all country roads. Now most of them are 100 kph which is 60 mph in real terms. Urban spped limits were 35 mph which is 56.35 kph ... now we're down to 50 kph (31 mph) and they want to make it 40 kph (25 mph).

What's next? Man with red flag in front of vehicle?

Problem is perception. People see three digits, 100 or 110 kph and don't realise that they're spurious ... the real figures are 68 and 60 mph in genuine measurement. Most drivers today only know kilometres ... and when measured and shown as a rate per hour it's a very small movement on the speedo needle.

OK1 So kilometres is the law ... that's fine, but more discretion should be given. Years ago, the police had to pace you for 3/10 of a mile before booking you for speeding. Today, the radar or speed-cameras get you at a registered speed ove a few yards ... this can be caused by a momentary, but quickly corrected, lapse, or a surge by the cruise control when cresting a hill. In other words, there's no intention to exceed the speed limit and when it happens it's quickly corrected ... but TOO LATE, you're gone. Nobody believes you and nobody in authority cares. They only want the revenue.

And there's another swifty. State authorities say cameras are not revenue raising. Fine ... if that's the case, then pass all speeding revenue over to charities. Gosh ... if I believe that could ever happen the pigs will really fly ... and I don't mean police aerial patrols!!
AnswerID: 67658

Sponsored Links