Solar Panels

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:54
ThreadID: 14606 Views:2431 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

I will be setting up a deep cycle battery in my new camper trailer and would like to have it set to charge via Solar Power when we are away from other methods of charging.

Can anyone offer me information on what gear I need to buy and how it should be set up etc as I am a bit short on information on this one.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Magnus - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 21:06

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 21:06
Hi Brian,

While there is plenty in the archives on this subject, you will need to know the following for a start

Average daily draw in Amp Hours

Then obviously your budget. Solar panels start at $260 plus for 20 watt which is really the bottom end of the requirements. A lot of forumites will agree with this and suggest lot bigger units.

Then you can size the deep cycle battery.

You should take a peek at the following site for info on deep cycle baateries and how they should be handled. I strongly recommend you take the trouble to print it out for further study. It is long but well worth it.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

Hope this is enough to start.

I use 70 amp hour deep cycle (delkor) and a 20 watt solar panel and have been using this set up or similar for a number of years. But I only run lights and radio/cd player. Fridge is gas.

Cheers

Magnus

AnswerID: 67529

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:21
Brian.
As Magnus points out lost to consider. If you live in Bris I would be happy to help.

Have a good day.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 67549

Sponsored Links