News tonight ------------ speeding 200 k's +

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 22:34
ThreadID: 14609 Views:2945 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
Tonight on the news there was a segment on a 16 year old female learner doing 203 klm / hr on a freeway somewhere over East, I missed exactly where. So now the answer to that is to get motor companies to change the design of the speedometer so the number 60 is bigger than the rest so people can identify when they are going faster than 60 k's, you have got to be kidding me........ Change the speedo, the needle bouncing on the little pin on the right hand side of the dial and the tacho in the red maybe plus all the other vehicles appear to be reversing might be few good pointers. And then the "authorities" say that people driving four wheel drives should take a special driving test because they are more of a risk, wake up and smell the roses Mr Authority person............ What about a sixteen year old learner in a vehicle capable of over 200 klms / hr. Jeeesh. Just had to get that off my chest, that's better.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Croozer - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 00:14

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 00:14
A learner driving what appeared to be a modified 300ZX !!!!!!!! And all she got was a $1000 fine and 12 month suspension, surely 100km/h over the speed limit is worth more than that.......

AnswerID: 67547

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:21
Found this article on the net.

Learner driver caught at 205km/h

12jul04

A TEENAGE learner driver recently clocked at more than 200km/h on Melbourne's Western Ring Road had been disqualified from driving for a year, Victoria's top traffic cop said today.

Her high speed on the ring road was part of a general pattern by motorists since fixed speed cameras were removed in May this year after they were found to be defective, Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Bob Hastings said.
The learner driver, 18, was at the wheel of a Nissan Skyline with a 16-year-old female friend when she was caught by a Victoria Police mobile radar unit doing 205km/h in a 100km/h zone on the ring road at Sunshine, in Melbourne's west, on July 2.
Mr Hastings told radio 3AW the driver was booked under a recent police speeding blitz on the ring road.
There was no licensed driver in the car, as required under her learner's permit, and the driver was issued with several penalty notices, he said.
"I believe there was one young female passenger inside the car, so it was a cocktail for disaster and not something we ought to be patting ourselves on the back about," Mr Hastings said.
"If you're an L-plate driver, you've got to get experience, but you get the experience in the proper way.
"I'm not sure why that person was driving at that speed and what reason was offered.
"But I mean, you can't justify that speed, particularly when you're an L-plater driver learning and getting experience out on the road, and particularly on the Western Ring Road, which we know has a high volume of traffic all the time."
The driver had been fined $430 and banned from driving for 12 months.
She also could be charged with unlicensed driving or driving outside the conditions of her permit and other offences, Mr Hastings said.
Mr Hastings said police commonly detected speeds "up into the high 150s and early 160s" on the ring road and linked the problem to defective speed cameras on the road.
"I've got no idea (why motorists were driving at high speed), but it's just silly, and what I want to tell people is that if they think they'll get away with those speeds, they're not," he said.
"We will be out there and we'll be out there again until all those cameras are out there operating."

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 67548

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:40

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:40
Some people miss the point totally don't you think?

Of course, making the 60 prominent will stop a teen doing 200+........NOT!!! Even more disappointing to see Toyota's PR bandwagon touting their wonder speedo and not attempting to address the driver attitude instead.

Like $1000 and 12 month is an adequate penalty. Why not get her to do community service in a morgue and/or a hospital emergency room so she can see the results of irresponsible driving? Let's get some real negative reinforcement happening. A stint at one of these places may well adjust her attitude and genuinely save lives.

This girl was lucky that she did not kill or cripple someone else or even herself. She obviously has no comprehension of the possible outcomes of her actions.
AnswerID: 67555

Follow Up By: Member - Murray C (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:18
G'day folks, good piece of clear thinking Savvas, if the dramatic TV ads re driving/speed/alcohol/tiredness etc are having an impact as the Govt. claims, why not reinforce the message even more with "punishment" along the lines of Savvas' suggestion.

Who is going to take the tough decisions, enforce tough justice and save lives? AND, shouldn't this be a national issue rather than a state issue?
FollowupID: 328248

Reply By: VWR - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:07
Kids will be Kids - I like the morgue idea though - There used to be a program in Adelaide many years ago that incorporated, among other penalties, a compulsary viewing of some rather horrendous accident scenes (warts and all) - Headless bodies, bottles through heads etc (If I offended anyone image what the images would be like to some children - it may just work)
There is probably some type of privacy crap these days preventing it but I am sure any family who could help the same thing happening to another family by letting a young member of that family see things like that would give consent for a fatal accident involving their loved ones to be included.

We are never going to stop kids speeding unles the deterrents are so horrendous they will think twice before doing it - Like automatic impounding of vehicle for a pre-determined period for any speed over "x"
Removal of license won't stop them, the worse elements just drive without one.
AnswerID: 67564

Follow Up By: Swerv - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:11

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:11
Hi Guys

I take it you guys are in Adelaide. I'm up here in Queensland and the goverment up here has introduced what they call the Anti-Hooning laws.

It seems to have worked quite well from the reports that I have seen.

On the first offence I believe that the penalty is confiscation of your motor vehicle for 24 hrs.

The second offence I think you loose it for around 48hrs (don't quote me on that one).

On the third offence you forfiet your car, end of story.

I believe that most people only go as far as a first offence to give them a wake up call. Only a handful have been forfieted to the government coffers.

Might be something to consider down your way.

Food for thought.

Swerv.....
FollowupID: 328292

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 16:00

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 16:00
woman driver....
AnswerID: 67587

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:28

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:28
Bruce, you bastard!! I was reading and getting incensed and saw this response, what a classic. I am proud to say I know you hahahahahaah
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 328306

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:32
Shes ahead of her time, shes right on par with every other P Plater chick you see in the fast lane in their rice bubble getting 1ltr/1000klms on the phone putting makeup on, telling of how many blokes she had on Saturday night while sitting on 80 in a 100, and going thru a red light, with a smashed in both front 1/4s, why should this one get so harshly treated..

12 mths without license and a WHOLE $1000 fine. My god kids everywhere will be soiling themselves.
FollowupID: 328310

Reply By: Member - Bernard - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:10

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 20:10
Doesn't matter if the driver was male or female ... they were just plain STUPID. Not only was she a learner driver ... but she didn't have a qualified driver with her. Surely she must have known she was breaking the law before even starting the drive. What's more ... being 18 she's supposed to be an adult ... well treat her like one. At 200 kph she knew she was doing wrong in great heaps ... should have hefty fine of $5,000 and be banned from driving for life!

Anyone who exceeds a speed limit by 10 kph must realise that they're consciously breaking the law ... hefty fines, long suspensions; downgrade licence; put them onto push-bike for 12 months.
AnswerID: 67648

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 22:26
After hitting something at 203 kmh there'd be nothing to inspect in a morgue - the car and whatever's in it just explodes - bit's of steel an flesh everywhere. I had the dubious honour of recovering crashed vehicles in the first ever multiple crash on the M6 motorway at Sandbach in Cheshire, UK back in the early 70's. 6 miles long was the pile up and on fire to boot. Those cars 'n trucks hit at 70 to 80 mph ( about 120 to 130 kmh). It was gory I can tell you. I was 24 at the time and I physically spewed when I saw what happened to a human body at that speed.

These people should be up on CRIMINAL charges - NOT driving offences.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 67683

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 22:37
Bilbo,
For what it's worth I came from Cheshire I moved out here in 1990, used to live in Ellesmere Port. I remember that crash now you mention it, from what I recall it wasn't pretty, wasn't it foggy or something like that?
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 328385

Reply By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:52
Yes it was a VERY foggy morning. I remember it being very slow driving to work that day. Couldn't see yer hand in front of yer face type of morning. I worked in Warrington, not far from the M6. Sandbach is a low point on the M6 and the fog simply collects there.

But people drive at the same speed, fog or no fog - and Whammo! Dead and dead vehilcles bodies everywhere.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 67762

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:24

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:24
Martyn, following up.....

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10277560%255E2862,00.html

L-plater warrant issued
Katie Lapthorne
29jul04

A WARRANT has been issued for the arrest of an L-plater who failed to appear in court yesterday.

Tenhae Amber McNally, 18, stirred public outrage when she was caught, allegedly speeding at 205km/h, on the Western Ring Road on July 2.
Ms McNally, of Laverton, was due to appear in Werribee Magistrates' Court yesterday on four counts of theft, allegedly committed between April 28 and May 1 this year.

Magistrate Noreen Toohey issued the warrant after confirming Ms McNally was not in court.

She said that the charges were serious, and that Ms McNally was now in breach of her bail conditions.

AnswerID: 70190

Sponsored Links