Blog Review: Tjoritja, Finke Gorge & Watarrka National Parks

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

I have spent all afternoon going through this great read Michelle & David, absolutely fantastic, along with the many great things you pair do along the track. Regards Paul & Fiona
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Aug 18, 2023 at 14:26

Friday, Aug 18, 2023 at 14:26
Thanks Paul, its a big read so well done on getting through it.
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644300

Reply By: Briste - Friday, Aug 18, 2023 at 21:46

Friday, Aug 18, 2023 at 21:46
I've just done all this (in reverse, minus Palm Valley & the GCR). Great read. Agree with pretty much all of it, esp that Finke 4x4 is the ideal base camp. Yes, that sand there is a little tricky.
AnswerID: 644302

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Aug 19, 2023 at 10:27

Saturday, Aug 19, 2023 at 10:27
In the cool light of morning, I'll make some additional comments.

1. The Woodland Campground at Redbank Gorge is a good illustration of what a mess NT Parks has made of camping arrangements. You didn't mention this - either it was done after you were there or you were being polite. The Woodland campsites and the access road have been delineated by fence posts and wire. The access road is now very narrow, and some of the campsites are small and at 90 degrees to the narrow road. This presents major obstacles for anyone towing. We were fortunate to have one of the few drive-through sites, but even for our Karavan it was a bit tight. Other campers told us that the previous people who had booked it turned up with a larger van and gave up and left. This is a pity, as it is a nice campground. Also worth noting is that there is a small-cell Optus tower there.

2. As you didn't visit the East MacDonnells you didn't mention the campsite highlight of our travels through these ranges - Trephina Gorge. Similar fencing has been done there to the spectacular Panorama Campground, but the sites are not as tight and all are drive-through. There are also two other campgrounds at Trephina - one not for vans or trailers, and one for any form of camping with no fencing. This is at least a more flexible arrangement. Another Optus small-cell tower.

3. The new $10 p.p. p.n. camping fee seems unwarranted at places at places like Finke 4x4 campground, where there are absolutely no services of any kind. There is perhaps more justification at Redbank and Trephina, where some services are available. We paid our camping and park access fees, but didn't see a single ranger the whole time. I suspect that Finke 4x4 is becoming more popular with the closure of Glen Helen camping for the time being.

4. The NT does allow drone usage in some national parks and reserves, but you need a permit (which I believe is free and fast to get), and it is only allowed in some parks and reserves. This is better than say SA & NSW where there's a blanket ban on recreational drone usage in national parks. However it's not obvious which NT ones it is permitted in. It's not immediately obvious from the website - you have to download a PDF and examine the list carefully. Some parks like Watarrka have signs clearly indication where you can and can't fly a drone, but there are absolutely no signs at Gosse Bluff - you'd have had to have done an archaeological dig on the NT Govt website to know this. Quite a few parks are off limits to drone flying for "cultural reasons", which strikes me as odd, as unlike certain areas at Uluru and Kata Tjuta, there is no ban on photography from ground level or lookouts, and I can't see how drone imagery is all that different.
FollowupID: 924316

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Aug 19, 2023 at 14:25

Saturday, Aug 19, 2023 at 14:25
Thanks some good comments there too, which I’ll respond to also:
1. Yes bollards there - we noted every site in ExplorOz Places separated to help people choose a site before booking. It is definitely easier in a small camper trailer like ours than a caravan though we saw a few big caravans though def don’t fit in all sites.

2. Whilst we didn’t go to the East Macdonnells this trip the latest details are accurate in ExplorOz Places for those sites including Trephina Gorge - absolutely agree a wonderful spot with Trephina Gorge Campground, Bluff Campground and Panorama Campground. Been a good few years since last there but we are going in 2024.

3. Many NPs now are paying fees to the indigenous peoples regardless of facilities they provide so user pays….

4. We attempted to get drone licence in WA and NT national parks but they stipulate a copy of your $10M public liability insurance ! We don’t qualify !$&@

MM

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924319

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Aug 21, 2023 at 15:02

Monday, Aug 21, 2023 at 15:02
50% of Tjoritijia (West Macdonnells NP) has burned.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-21/national-parks-tjoritijia-west-macdonnell-fire-buffel-grass/102746024
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 924335

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Aug 22, 2023 at 09:57

Tuesday, Aug 22, 2023 at 09:57
I hope this is permitted here. In addition to EO Traveller and HEMA maps, I took a copy of the Destination Red Centre e-book, by Monica and Phil Coleman., a couple of fellow Karavan owners. I found it thorough and meticulously researched. If you baulk at spending the $25 sight unseen, there is a free sampler.
FollowupID: 924349

Sponsored Links