Birdsville to Innamincka to Tibooburra

Submitted: Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 23:42
ThreadID: 146299 Views:1743 Replies:4 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Travelling from Boulia shortly down to Birdsville. Our aim is to be in Geelong for Tasmanian leg by end November but wanting to see as much as possible on our way. We are towing a Supreme Territory 19.6 Off Road van (3T).

We are hoping to go from Birdsville to Haddons corner then on to Innamincka using the Arrabury Road. Then from Innamincka we would like to take NEW Strezlecki track, Omicron Rd, Toona Gate Rd and Cameron Corner Rd to Silver City Hwy in Tibooburra.

This is part of our 10 year in the making dream trip and we really want to see it all (well as much as we can)!

I would really appreciate some input and opinions on the best roads to take from Birdsville to Tibooburra via Innamincka and Camerons Corner? or if impossible, what is the best route.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 06:47

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 06:47
Hi Kazbahr,

Just completed the opposite direction a couple of weeks ago. Take the Birdsville Developmental Road to the Planet Arabury Road, but don’t forget to check out the Rainbow Serpent, The Betoota Hotel, and Deons Lookout along the way.

Down the Planet Arabury Road a few kms to the turn off to Haddon Corner. The road out to Haddon Corner is in good condition. There are two sand ridges you will need to get over to get to the corner, but are easily doable, even towing a caravan.

Back to Planet Arabury road, turn right and continue until you come to a left onto Arabury Road. Both roads are in better condition than the Cordillo Downs Road. Follow the Arabury road to the end. Take a right out to The Dig Tree. $20 camping and day visit fee. This is a good spot to camp, drop toilet and bins, no dump point though.

After leaving The Burke & Wills Dig Tree, take a right, and follow this road into Innaminka. You can visit Burkes grave along the way, not far from Innaminka. You can camp on The Common at Innaminka. The Pub has good meals and a reasonable price.

Leaving Innaminka, you take the Strezlecki down towards Merty Merty, also stopping at Wills grave along the way, just out of Innaminka. Turn Left onto the Merty Merty/Cameron Corner road and continue out to Cameron Corner. Both these roads were in good condition. Camping at Cameron Corner is cheap for a bush camp, or you can camp in the camp ground with toilet and showers for a fee.

From Cameron Corner you take the road to Tibooburra. The first few kms were very badly corrugated, but once through the Bilby Habitat, it isn’t so bad. You can then take the scenic route which links up with the Toona Gate road, that then links back up to the Tibooburra road. This scenic route has some magnificent vistas from the top of the jump ups.

From Tibooburra it is bitumen all the way to Broken Hill. However, take the short side trip out to Milparinka, well worth a visit to this historic town.

Check these routes out on either Exploroz Traveller, Hema, or any good maps of the area.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644492

Follow Up By: Member - Kazbahr - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 16:18

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 16:18
Thank you, that sounds like exactly what we wanted to do.

How far did you drive each day? How long did you take? How much traffic did you pass? What did you drop your tyre pressures too (car and van)? What was your fuel consumption like? We have an Isuzu 2021 with a long range tank (145L) and carry and extra 20L. Do you feel that would be enough?

Also, with Haddons corner, I was going to leave the van at the John's Creek Camp after the turn off and travel in without the caravan. We are not experienced 4WDers and really only do off road driving tracks so didnt want to risk anything with the van.

Nervous as I dont want to put my family in danger for our dream to see these places.

Thank you for responding.

Kaz

FollowupID: 924605

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:03

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:03
Hi Kazbahr,

Birdsville to the Dig Tree you can do in a day, even stopping at the sites I have suggested. As far as Haddon Corner, some people drop their vans when they reach the first Sand Ridge, it is only about 3 kms from the corner.

The Dig Tree to Innaminka is only about an hours drive.

From Innaminka to Cameron Corner is about a day.

Cameron Corner to Broken Hill is another day.

For the gravel roads, dropping your tyre pressures is a good idea, but any pressure that I tell you will not necessarily be suitable for your rig. I have a Landcruiser and travel with heavy weight. So not knowing your specific tyre size, construction and the load your tyres are supporting, I will not give you an actual pressure as I would only be guessing. Depending on your starting pressure, you could drop 10 to 15 psi from your starting pressure.

My Landcruiser has a total of 275 Ltr total fuel capacity, so I filled at Broken Hill, and did not need to fill again until I got to Birdsville. My fuel consumption was around 16 Ltrs/100 kms. but I wasn’t towing. The biggest influence on fuel consumption is the right foot of the driver. What do you normally get out of a tank of fuel when towing? That should give you an idea of how far you will get.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924606

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 07:57

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 07:57
They are charging to see the dig tree now? Makes it even more disappointing when you actually see it.
FollowupID: 924611

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 09:18

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 09:18
They have been charging for years. The fee also covers camping, but unfortunately like most honestly boxes, lots of people do not do the right think and just look and drive out.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924612

Follow Up By: Members - North200 - Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 13:34

Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 13:34
Why are they changing for the did tree
FollowupID: 924642

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 13:45

Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 13:45
North

It’s on private property, part of Nappa Merrie Station and they say it goes into the upkeep of the area.

It’s better to pay rather than getting the place closed to the public, and this also covers your camping fee for how long you want to stay there, so cheap really.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924643

Follow Up By: Members - North200 - Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 20:07

Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 20:07
Very sad, I can remember a time when could camp just about anywhere at no cost
FollowupID: 924644

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 20:24

Friday, Sep 29, 2023 at 20:24
North200, that applied before the feral hordes arrived and messed the place up. If you want paces like the Dig Tree to remain open then you contribute to the maintenance of the place.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924645

Reply By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 07:58

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 07:58
Its going to depend on the whether, and track conditions when you go. The old Strezlecky was a wonderful drive, sandy but nothing your van wont handle if its dry.
The road across to camerons is probably the worst road out there, lots of sand hills to cross, with blowouts on the eastern sides of the tops (potholes) make sure you drive it slow, plenty of head ons and broken suspensions along it.
AnswerID: 644494

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 06:37

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 06:37
There are lots of sand hills on the road out to Cameron Corner from Merty Merty, but the road is “clay topped”, so should not be too difficult to negotiate, even with a caravan. There were lots of caravans in the campground at Cameron Corner when I was there. Speaking with the owners of the pub at Cameron Corner three weeks ago, they advised that it was in fairly good condition.

We actually travelled to Innamincka from Cameron Corner via a couple of station roads, to the Old Strezlecki track. This was an extremely easy and scenic drive. If you ask the Publican at Cameron Corner they will give you directions.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924610

Reply By: Briste - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 08:30

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 08:30
Some recent relevant information on sections of the route in this thread
AnswerID: 644495

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 19:42

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 19:42
Birdsville to Cordillo Downs to Innamincka to Tibooburra to Camerons Corner to Mt Hopeless to Yunta to Broken Hill. Did this a month ago and all roads were in Good nick
AnswerID: 644501

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 06:26

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 06:26
A friend of mine came down the Cordillo Downs Road a week ago and mentioned that it was badly corrugated. He is an experienced outback traveler, so has a good idea what is good and bad when it comes to corrugations.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924609

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 10:01

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 10:01
If that's the case then it must have deteriorated a lot since I drove it a month or two ago. There were corrugations, but only in limited sections, and severe corrugated sections were few and very short. Other than that, it wasn't a difficult drive.
FollowupID: 924613

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 21:14

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 21:14
Must have deteriorated a hell of a lot. It was the best I have ever seen it
FollowupID: 924616

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Sep 28, 2023 at 06:34

Thursday, Sep 28, 2023 at 06:34
Birdsville races traffic with tyre pressure too high perhaps?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924618

Sponsored Links