tyre pressure

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1465 Views:1935 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for some advice re tyre pressure with 31x10.5R15 BFG AT's on hard stony roads (ie odnadatta track) in a Hilux with a meduim load. I've heard stories of using as low as 25psi. Any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
Gary....I have been up there a couple of times in recent years, in my 99 Jack with the 16" BFG AT's.....Think I ran about 30, and around 85kmh with the camper trailer. On the last trip, guy with us had tyre drama and we found another traveller with drama too - neither using BFG's, but sensible types though.
With sensible cruising, a sharp eye, good tyres and a wife who hates shelling out for tyres, I have a had a good run on tyres. For sensible drivers, tracks like the Oodna a really good. By the way. on my travels, have not come across anyone with BFG drama (yet), but plenty of other brands....chiz.
AnswerID: 4795

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
Gary,

Theo Nell who runs Birdsville Auto Service recommends all tyres run at no more than 25psi.

I ran 31's (AT's) on a 4 runner through the simpson desert at 20 / 22 psi fully loaded. No dramas. Did Cape York at 25 psi.

I personally would run at around 22-25 on the Oodnadatta Highway, assuming you wont be doing 140 km/h you will be fine !

Lower pressures will give you a much more enjoyable ride also ! (damn leaf suspension!)

Mate, enjoy the trip !

Troy

AnswerID: 4799

Reply By: Larry - Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00
Gary as Troy has told you run your tyres at about 24 to25 on the stoney roads Peter at williams creek & the owner of the shell garage gave this advice a few years back and I have had no tyre poblems since heeding this advice.I run BFG mud ter.on my GQ patrol travelled on most of the outback tracks. The secret is adjust your tyre pressure to suite the road surface down for sand, stoney dirt & up to recommended pressure for highway.See you on one of the tracks.Larry.
AnswerID: 4990

Sponsored Links