GU 3L TurboDiesel engine will crank over but not start

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 13:41
ThreadID: 14653 Views:2044 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I had just left home and was driving down the road when I lost all power, When I checked the dash all lights were on, as if I had just turned on the ignition keybut no power. When I tried to restart, the engine would crank over but not fire, I checked all fuses no problems, checked fuel filter that was clear, in fact every thing appear to be OK. Next step, get RAC they came out and had no joy so they arrange for transport to local Nissan dealer. We left the vehicle in the rear entry and tried to start but still nothing. Later that afternoon the service manager ring me up wanting to know what the problem is, guess what? they have hopped in and the thing started straight away. When I re-explained what had happened, waht I had checked, then what the RAC guy had checked and tried, the service manager agreed that there must be a problem, and as yet (11.30am) they are still none the wiser. One consolation I suppose is that it didn't happen on the Sunday while SWMBO and I were out with our 4WD club day trip to York via powerline track, things could have ben interesting. Do any forumites know of this happening? If so what was the cause

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:20

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:20
Mike there are 2 possibilities that could be the culprit
1. the immobiliser is faulty and is turning the engine off
or
2. the engine management computer is tripping with an intermittant loose connection.
I hope this helps. I am interested to know your eventual outcome???
Cheers P Guy.
AnswerID: 67749

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 15:29

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 15:29
Thanks Peter
I've been in touch with the dealer and they are looking at the possibilty of the problem being the immobiliser. When we initially bought this vehicle (2nd hand), there was a hold up with its delivery because of a problem with keys/immobiliser. My daughter reminded me about this, I have since passed this on to the service manger who is checking their records, will keep you informed
Cheers Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 328419

Follow Up By: whale - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:36
another one , a friend of ours pulled up at the traffic lights in adelaide and his 2000 3l stoppped. RAA came out and spent half hour looking at it. It would crank but not fire. they were about to call for a tow truck, gave it one last crank and it started. they took it to the nissan dealer and they couldn't find a thing wrong with it. this happened about 3 months ago and it hasn't happened since. I wonder if it is a similar problem as with the other motors they recalled not long ago. I know it doesn't help but it seems to a contagious problem
FollowupID: 328425

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 23:57

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 23:57
Hi Pete
The fault turned out to be a faulty A.R.Sensor in the injector pump, not a faulty cam as suggested by Nissan, according to the company that did the repairs the faulty sensor should have been picked up in the early stages.
Cheers
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331643

Reply By: Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:43

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:43
Michael,
As I started reading your story, I thought it sounded very similar to the circumstances some friends of mine with a 2000 model 3L sufferred back around 2001/2. It just died; would crank over but not start. Turned out to be a fuel pump blown, which was a relatively common problem. However, given that yours DID start later, I guess that counts that theory out.
Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 67751

Reply By: Moz - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 20:20

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 20:20
G'day Michael,

I'm not familiar with the Nissan system but the genuine immobiliser
systems I've dealt with only prevent the car from starting and will not
cut the engine once it has started. i.e The immobiliser is not part of the
engine management once the engine has fired up.
It sounds like an electrical problem somewhere like ECU, sensor or
even fuel pump as they are electronically controlled.
Although there should be a fault code if this was the case (maybe).

The problem is with these sorts of intermittant problems it is hard
to trace the fault if the vehicle is running O.K. and who knows when
it will next play up.
Until then you can only have a wiggle and poke around and do some
basic checks which sound like they have been done.

Hope there's a happy ending,

Moz

AnswerID: 67802

Reply By: floyd - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 19:14

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 19:14
Oh What a feeling!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 67926

Reply By: Member - Michael- Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:42

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:42
The saga continues, the my Nissan Service Manager rang me yesterday (Thursday)afternoon to tell me that they had been unable to find any fault or what was the cause of the problem despite numerous computer analyses, start-ups and test runs.
I went to collect the vehicle and after settling up Iwent to where it was parked in the rear of the service dept, hopped in and guess what? NO START. Aftre attemting to start the engine numerous times over about a 10min spell, I went back to the service dept and the look on the service manager,s face when told was a classic but there was atouch of disbelief in his voice. He took the keys and attempted to start it himself, came into the waiting romm and his exact words were 'Gee your right, it won't fire'. I'm now waiting for a phone call . Will provide updates for reference
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68022

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 21:25

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 21:25
Had a similar problem with a traveller in the gulf a few years back. These other people in a Patrol had pulled up for a lunch break, and when they tried to start - same thing, cranked over OK but refused to fire. After towing them about 120K to the nearest phone - Nissan roadside assist asked the guy to lock/unlock the drivers door with the key several times. After that - the dam thing started!
It seems that the key wasn't talking to the imobiliser and the door locking/unlocking sequence resets it. If he had tried to start it with his wifes key - it would have started straight away!

Modern day electronics! BAH !!
FollowupID: 328826

Sponsored Links