Canvas Roof Rack Bag

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:24
ThreadID: 14654 Views:2512 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Unfortunately my next trip requires me to purchase a full length roof rack, I've decided to purchase one of the aluminium racks that many members of the Nissan Club use. I would like to hear from others who use the Canvas Bags made from Southern Cross & Freedom. Are they really waterproof ? Is dust a problem ? any other comments ?

Thanks
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:36

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:36
You mean one of Andrews Racks?? Top stuff they are. he made me a rear light setup the other day, easy stuff when you know what ya doing!

Roof Bags, there was a thread a while back on these.. I borrowed a Bushranger one (TJM) off a mate, it fell apart.

General consensus was the SC or Freedom ones are about similar quality.

And remember you get a club discount on both being in the club :)~
AnswerID: 67750

Follow Up By: Phil P - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 14:49
I'm in discussions with Andrew and will finalise my requirements tonight. Are you saying that the SC or Freedom may fall apart like the Bushranger ?

FollowupID: 328417

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:09
Na they are better than the Bushranger ones.

Have a search on them, see what you find on this site.
FollowupID: 328421

Follow Up By: Phil P - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 18:09

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 18:09
Hi Truckster,

Do you have any photo's of any 4WD's that have one of Andrews Roof Racks ?

Thanks
Phil P
FollowupID: 328443

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 18:17
Gotta agree wit Truckster on the Bushranger one - bought a newie and by the time I got to Townsville (on the black stuff) it had a dozen or more holes in the top of it (definitely not waterproof now Jan) - had it repaired in Cairns for about $80.
FollowupID: 328445

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 22:56
http://www.nissan4x4vic.com/
on the front page, the one going down into the crap.. I THINK thats one of his... other than that, none at moment.
FollowupID: 328510

Reply By: Geoff (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 15:56
Phil,

I have a Southern Cross bag which has done the Simpson, Anne Beadell, abandoned section of the Gunbarrell, etc., and it has done quite well.

Dust proofing is okay, can't comment on water proofing.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 67754

Reply By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:43

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 16:43
Hi Phil,

I started a thread a few months ago and using the feedback decided on the Southern Cross. It was half the price of some and have found it to be good quality. It's not dust proof but not far off it, I had to lay a sheet over the gear at the back, dust comes through the rear zip but very little. Seems to be water proof but there would be a limit. Just be very carefull with what you put in so it won't rub and you will need something soft and thick to put under the canvas bag. I used some core-flute and a couple of the thin foam hiking mattresses. If you don't it will rub though very quickly.

Regards
AnswerID: 67761

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 17:11

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 17:11
Worth checking the threads on this as it will answer your questions on waterproofing etc.
You do need to follow the manufacturers instructions carefully regarding what it sits on. They can rub through if not supporte correctly but if you do it right there does not seem to be a problem.
Don't personally know about freedom bu southern cross are very helpful.

regards

A
AnswerID: 67766

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:33

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:33
I read all bad reports on the Bushranger Rack Sacks on here, but also some good reports. I needed one urgent and didn't have the $$$ for Michelle's etc so spoke to my local Opposite Lock dealer, he said they warranty them for 3 years anyway. Cost me $180 inc GST and the first trip out was in pooring rain over about 900km's. The scrub was so thick that Peter's GU in front copped the brunt of it, lost a wing mirror, broke snorkel air ram, ariel, fishing rod holder etc. The bushranger was loaded right up and sticking right up the top of the roof rack unprotected and copped the lot, not a scratch on it. On top of that, after the 4wding we drove home 400kms in the pooring rain at $110km/h and erverything was still dry.
It's better than I expected. (mainly because I had low expectations from some peoples comments). Have only taken it out 4 or 5 times since Ive had it (only about 3 months now) but am heading away this weekend with it again, and will give it another go, but it has only done the right thing by me so far. They have also just brought out a newer model (bugger about a week after I bought mine) that has better water proofing and clips (like Michelles) instead of the loop ties jobbies. Material is supposed to be stronger also.
But yeah, make sure you put a liner in the bottom (I havn't yet, OOPS!) so it does not rub through, that's what everyone has told me to do.
AnswerID: 67888

Reply By: Member - Algee (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 13:46

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 13:46
Phil, dont know if it is to late but I have a large Bushranger Bag. It has done all the trips without a problem. I dont use it anymore so if you want to discuss price you can have it. It has ben on the Gibb, Cape Laveque,etc etc and still lokos good and seals well. We could start at say 1/2 price of a new one.

Alan
AnswerID: 67894

Reply By: lozza - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 16:45

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 16:45
I have just returned from the Cape,have a Southern cross bag on a Rhino roof rack and basket,bag is great covered in red dust,none on the inside,no wear on the bottom just some aluminuim rub marks hasnt damaged the canvas,rhino basket has quite wide slats.
Had some rain on the way to Cairns appears to be waterproof.

However the Oztent bag is starting to disintergrate after one trip,the bag flaps in some areas(cant strap down every square inch) and creases so it appears the waterproofing membrane on the canvas inside the bag is peeling off.
Lozza
AnswerID: 67913

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:34

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:34
Had a look at the Bushranger bag a few years ago and decided to get one manufactured by an upholsterer out of same material as the semi-trailer tautliners use. About the same price but made the way I wanted with heavy duty zip and welded seams. Its travelled in belting rain, dusty roads, through low trees and held up to it all.

I find a lot of products on the market a little light on long term build quality and life.

Wizard
Darwin NT

AnswerID: 68028

Sponsored Links