Fire pit / BBQ

Submitted: Monday, Nov 27, 2023 at 14:06
ThreadID: 146580 Views:2210 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I will receive a new Bushtracker in March. I will live in it.
I intend that most of my overnight stays will be in free camps.

I am considering purchasing a fire pit / BBQ.
My question is: for those people who live/travel long-term in their caravan, how often do you find you need or want to use a fire pit / BBQ you have brought with you?

(I intend to purchase the Grillz Portable Stainless Steel Camping Fire Pit, as one can add more fuel to it (unlike a couple other options), but I am open to suggestions.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Nov 27, 2023 at 15:26

Monday, Nov 27, 2023 at 15:26
Having the option is always good. We carry a portable gas stove , which we can sort of use as a BBQ, and prefer to cook outside whenever we can. Inside kitchen is wonderful, but cooking outside is even better.
The Grillz looks very suitable ...... just add firewood !!
Flies, wind and rain are the only obstacles, but having the option is great.
Another element is the cooking smells ........ important for us in a canvas covered space. We try to cook meat outside as much as possible.
Cheers
Jim
ps very envious of the Bushtracker !!!!
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644807

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Nov 27, 2023 at 19:57

Monday, Nov 27, 2023 at 19:57
Camp fire for warmth and a gas cooker for cooking. We are very conscious of our weight so we dont carry anything that isn't used frequently.
AnswerID: 644808

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 06:48

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 06:48
Hi 42.0,

Interesting “handle”.

We generally bush camp off grid and prefer to cook outside whenever possible. Used to use a 13 gallon drum cut lengthwise in a frame with a purpose built BBQ plate. Earlier this year I purchased the ARB folding BBQ, and used it for the first time on a recent trip across the Simpson desert. It is heavy, but folds flat, so not as bulky as the old 13 gallon drum. Found it very convenient.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644812

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 08:47

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 08:47
Enables a lot of people like myself to sleep soundly at night Macca. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 924972

Follow Up By: 42.0 - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 13:19

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 13:19
Thanks for your input.
From you comments, I am pretty convinced I will purchase a fire pit. But it is likely to be the one originally planned, which is less than half the mass and cost of the ARB version, and I think will be large enough.

In hindsight, I think I should have made the username "0042", but it will do. (With that user ID, I am alluding to Hitchhiker's Guide.)
FollowupID: 924973

Reply By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 12:56

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 12:56
Always worth carrying a fire pit if it raises the fire above ground. Some camp spots wont allow firs or fire places, but will allow above ground pits. The folding ones like the one ARB have put their name on double as a descent jack base
AnswerID: 644813

Reply By: Briste - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 13:29

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 13:29
I carry a collapsible firepit because I find that it uses less wood than an on-ground one, and I prefer to minimise how much wood I burn.
AnswerID: 644815

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 16:55

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 16:55
That's interesting - we find they use more wood as there is less ground insulation so the sides cool off quicker. We tested this theory in winter on our outback trip preparing coals for a camp oven in our foldup firepit vs open fire pit using the same wood (same tree) - to see how much wood was used to prepare the coals. It was an incidental test not a scientific test - just a random David-ism really! ;)

Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924974

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 20:59

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 20:59
My experience is not isolated - I've heard other, far more experienced campers say the same thing when explaining why they carry a portable firepit.

I guess it depends on what the alternative is and what sort of fire you want. When I see on-ground fires, people seem to pile on a lot of wood and have raging bonfires, and I'm not comfortable with that approach.

I find that you can get the fire going more easily with less wood with the folding, upside-down pyramid firepit, as it's easier to get an updraft going. But that easy venting also means that it can die down more quickly as the coals seem to burn faster. If you want a long-lasting fire then that may be the point when you start to consume more wood if you want to keep it going.

FollowupID: 924976

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 15:49

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 15:49
Personally I would use a folding firepit with four lockdown points to the base so I can move the firepit to a sheltered position if the strong wind changes direction . One I use is a Red Roads
AnswerID: 644816

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 19:20

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 19:20
This bloke makes some good products. CnC Metal Creations, a small business, in Babinda Qld area.Check out his page on Facebook. Sorry Allan!

No affiliation!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644817

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 20:56

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2023 at 20:56
It's OK Bob. I'm coping.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924975

Reply By: Member - Moya - Saturday, Dec 02, 2023 at 14:07

Saturday, Dec 02, 2023 at 14:07
We have a Spinifex brand stainless steel folding firepit. It's pretty much the same as the Kings one. Paid $110

It comes with an adjustable height removable grill and a base to catch any stray coals and enable us to easy move it around.

We use ours when ever we can have a fire. It's quick to set up. Puts out enough heat to warm us up, is great to cook on and has good airflow so doesn't smoke us out if using good wood. Ticked all of our boxes.

For the money I think they are a great buy.
AnswerID: 644832

Reply By: Member - Rick T4 - Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 12:40

Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 12:40
I have used a Kingaroy Choofer for nearly 10 years.
Excellent for cooking using either wood or beads. Can use it with camp oven or just grilling, even does pizzas.
Quick to get going and does not need a whole tree cut up. This last winter I lit it only once at one spot I was at and it went for 4 days, but that was using gidgee
AnswerID: 644841

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 12:50

Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 12:50
It's not much good to him. He requires one that folds up due to lack of space for something bulky like yours.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925003

Reply By: Member - Rick T4 - Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 13:49

Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 13:49
Fair enough, the camp oven fits inside the Choofer and it fits into a milk crate so certainly bulkier than a flat pack but 42 mentioned mass rather than bulk and neither are particularly heavy.
He didn’t mention his tow vehicle so space may or may not be an issue
AnswerID: 644843

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 21:22

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 21:22
I too have a Kingaroy Choofer. Not too heavy or bulky really. Certainly does not lay flat though. I bought one partly because I have spent a large chunk of my life living in and around Kingaroy. In Toowoomba now, but it was sort of a bit nostalgic I guess. The big seller for me though, was the ability to put a camp oven in it. I use it with the lid on top when cooking with the camp oven. I find that it is a bit hard to regulate the temperature properly for the camp oven. I mostly use wood though but should take Bill's advice and burn charcoal and it would be a lot better for heat control then I expect. Not perfect, but I do like camp oven cooking.

Roy G.
AnswerID: 644867

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 23:34

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 23:34
Hi

Have you looked at the Snow Peak fire pit?

We have had one for years and are brilliant? Premium Stainless Steel and made in Japan.

Snow Peak Fire Pit.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644868

Sponsored Links