Room for three

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1466 Views:1638 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Not wanting to buy into the Disco vs Cruiser etc argument, but can anyone recommend a good 4wd that comfortably fits three kids aged 4 - 7 in the back seat for a 6 month around oz trip towing an 800 kg camper trailer. No macho jungle jim excursions to the Simpson etc (so no rifle required!), but would like to visit Lawn Hill NP, Borroloola, Kimberly and Gibb River Rd. Space is important as is reliability.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
Rob for my money a diesel cruiser is the vehicle for you without a doubt!! Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 4797

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
Rob,

I have a friend who faced the same dilemma - they opted for a cruiser (bugger!). You will need a big wagon to fit all the gear in, and the last time i looked the Patrol didnt have a centre belt on the rear seat for kiddie no. 3. The cruiser did. That may be the difference.

Having said all of this, its all a personal choice... so Just wait 'til you drive it.....

ps- I think the Gibb River Rd may be as "macho" as the Simpson desert.

Troy

AnswerID: 4800

Follow Up By: Nigel - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Which patrol did you look at? I've never seen one without 5 (or 7) seatbelts.
FollowupID: 2041

Follow Up By: Troy - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel,

It was a friend of mine who went thru the cruiser v patrol debate. Given that the back seats (6 and 7) would not be used for seating, instead for storage, he needed the third belt in the back seat. Apparently (maybe only at the time) there was no third belt option.....

Not sure of the exact details - may have to check up !
FollowupID: 2046

Reply By: winaje - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Rob, if space is your major consideration, consider this. The Cruiser has more luggage area LENGTH. The Disco has more luggage area HEIGHT. You will need a full cargo barrier to use it all in either vehicle. I can vouch for the fact that 2 kids of the same age as yours and a large adult can travel easily for hours on end in the back seats. Also, if you are looking at a NEW Disco, the run out models have a roof mounted DVD screen fitted free, as of 11/07/02. Not available in a cruiser, and great entertainment for the kids on the long hauls. The Disco has some faults as does the Cruiser. I am SURE that others will point out the Disco's faults, but I have not had any major dramas in the 80000 kms I have done in the model I bought new 22 months ago. If you are after detailed info regarding a Disco series II, send an email to aussiediscoveryii-subscribe@yahoogroups.com, and get heaps of assistance from us all there. Hope this helps, Bill Church
AnswerID: 4802

Follow Up By: Goran - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
You should ask the Landrover dealership for career oportunities mate.You would make fine salesman. :-)
FollowupID: 2060

Reply By: Dazmit - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Rob

I suggest you take the family with you on a test drive.

There are pros & cons for both as you would expect but remember a standard diesel 100 series is soooo slow & great if you don't mind council buses overtaking you - They are also overpriced for the lack of power & the petrol versions are very thirsty. If you did buy a Cruiser then budget in a suspension kit as that will be one of your first things you require.

And before you thingk that I am anti toyota I used to own a petrol 100 series & now own a turbo diesel Prado.

AnswerID: 4803

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Rob, You have lots of options to confuse you. Cruiser is the pick of the pack without a doubt. However do not dismiss Patrol, Pajero, Jackaroo, Prado and Disco. They are all very capable machines that are comfortable and can easily tow your trailer. They have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. However, reliability may be better in the Japanese built machines. For a long trip like that, a turbo diesel would definitely be the go. It will come down to personal preference and $$$'s. Just keep in mind that you will need to do some prep whatever you choose, such as cargo barriers, extra lighting if you need it, etc,etc. So make sure your budget can cover this.
AnswerID: 4804

Sponsored Links