Which way?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 11:29
ThreadID: 146752 Views:1593 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
If you had 1 week to travel Sydney to Geelong (2nd week January) which way would you go? And why?

Route can include 4wd tracks etc. (200 series towing Ultimate camper trailer).

Thanks Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 11:56

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 11:56
Something we do from time to time if we have no clue at all is to take the absolute shortest route. It often brings unexpected surprises, but is rarely quick.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644973

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 17:07

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 17:07
"Wilson's Bluff" didn't look like that when I last saw it!

EDIT: With a replaced photo it now looks like Wilson's. lol
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 644975

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 18:05

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 18:05
Last year we did Sydney down the Hume to Marulan and to Bungonia Caves - just the gorge views. Followed Shoalhaven R upstream to camp at Oallen Ford - camp 1. Then Braidwood. kept going to near Wyanbene C2, then Numeralla to Cooma. It began to rain so spent pm at Nimmitabel and onto Black Lake N of Bombala C3.
Then to Delegate and McKillops Bridge. Took the very narrow track to Little River C4, then Buchan Caves tour. Hit the hwy and onto Melbourne.
Previously we have done the Prom - camp at Shallow Inlet. Take the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff and bingo you're in Geelong.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644976

Follow Up By: Member - pete g1 - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 15:28

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 15:28
ditto recommendation;

Take the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff and bingo you're in Geelong.

But importantly, prior to booking, check their sailing departure/loading schedule.

Queenscliff Tarra terminal worth a look see.

https://www.searoad.com.au/Experience/Tarra-Queenscliff

FollowupID: 925180

Follow Up By: Andrew L - Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 08:32

Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 08:32
Just FYI Oallens ford is no longer camping since new bridge went in, but stuarts crossing is (just up river 20kms)
If you have a canoe and 2 days, pop it in at Stuarts and have a ball, get out at oallens. I know this is off topic, but yesterday the shoalhaven was at 4 meters.
FollowupID: 925189

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 21:26

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2023 at 21:26
Down the coast. Way more interesting. Naturally takes time to do and so many things to see. Unlike the Hume you have to go through every town. Either that or head to Bathurst and meander down the center of the state
AnswerID: 644977

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 06:27

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 06:27
Batemans Bay, Braidwood, Cooma, Bombala, Delgate,Deddick, Buchan, Melbourne.

There is some beautiful countryside in that area.
AnswerID: 644978

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 09:16

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 09:16
Delgate, Deddick Valley, Buchan, That's an interesting trip, particularly the 25 km or so from MaKillops bridge up to Wulgulmerang East. It is definitely a one lane road with passing sections that will accommodate 2 to 4 vehicles within sight of each other. It's not a trip that I would recommend for those with not much experience, but David should be able to handle it. There are some National parks warnings currently for the area.

Have many of you EO members towed camping trailers through there?

I have driven through those roads several times and it is an area I am likely to return to. McKillops Bridge is an interesting bridge with a bit of history about it.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925176

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 16:13

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 16:13
As per my previous request, has anyone towed a camper trailer across McKillops bridge and up the other side? How did you find it?

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925215

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 18:48

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 18:48
In answer to your question Peter, I have done it. I was towing a 5.1m hybrid camper. Signage certainly discourages towing and I can see why. I had no issues but I did it mid week out of holiday periods. I did pass one or two vehicles without issue. A bit of courtesy and commonsense by both parties contributed to the safe encounters.

There are numerous roads and tracks in the Vic high country that are similar or worse than this one . Its a bit like firies having to rescue cats from trees. Have you ever seen a dead cat up a tree ? Everyone generally gets passed safely with a bit of give n take. Having said that I wouldn't tow anything bigger than my hybrid across McKillops.

Kenell
FollowupID: 925216

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 20:49

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 20:49
Kewell is that 5.1m the length from the tow hitch to rear of your camper or is it the length of your camper body?
Thanks Mark
FollowupID: 925217

Follow Up By: Kenell - Saturday, Dec 30, 2023 at 08:13

Saturday, Dec 30, 2023 at 08:13
Mark, it is a Lifestyle Reconn and is pretty much a full length of 16ft or 5.1m. It tows full at <2t so is easy to tow. The issue on the McKillops track is that it is narrow and there are not a lot of passing options. I was able to see well into the distance in a lot of places and when I saw something coming I had time to find a wider point and wait for the oncomming vehicle. I wouldn't tow at this time of the year up there.

Ken
FollowupID: 925222

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Dec 30, 2023 at 10:31

Saturday, Dec 30, 2023 at 10:31
Thanks Ken, we hope to get that way in the next couple of years, I've heard it's quite spectacular. We tow a 14ft Complete Campsite Exodus, 2.2T, 1.9m wide, same width as a vehicle, so sounds like with care should be doable.
FollowupID: 925223

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 09:29

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 09:29
Hi Michelle
Last time we travelled from Toowoomba to Melbourne I planned a route that avoided highways. It was mostly good secondary roads apart from about 20km on highways which was sort of unavoidable without becoming pedantic about it all. It ended up being a most enjoyable trip all be it somewhat slower. I love the old highways which are usually good roads with not much traffic but still go through those interesting little towns that the new highways bypass. Of course one has to stop and walk some of the streets to get a feel and appreciation for them, and of course my wife will drag me into a coffee shop as well.
All this sort of reinforces what several others have also eluded to like taking the shortest but not the quickest route etc.. Travelling and camping along the Murray R. was a pleasant part of that trip. Certainly did not take the shortest possible route but you get the idea.
Enjoy your trip.
Roy G.
Toowoomba
AnswerID: 644980

Reply By: Andrew L - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 10:20

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2023 at 10:20
East cost will be busy,and most probably booked out, but further down, Croajingalong NP is an awsome place to drop roots for a few days, via mimosa rocks NP
If its sight seeing your wanting, blue mountains, oberon, Kiangra walls, Crookwell, wee jasper, back way to Jugiong along the river, Gundagai Junee wagga, etc etc
AnswerID: 644981

Reply By: Rob J8 - Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 22:32

Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 22:32
We leave Sydney around the 11th of February, after visiting friends in Wagga, we are heading into the Victorian wheatbelt to check out the Silo art trail before heading to Mt Gambier, Adelaide and then back to Busselton. Whatever route you choose , I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
We were going to go to Canberra, down to the Snowies, into Victoria along the coast to Melbourne and up to the wheatbelt but decided we didn't want to go through Melbourne.
AnswerID: 644988

Follow Up By: Member - pete g1 - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 07:51

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 07:51
hi RobJ8
SILO art - link below may assist, happy viewing
If u do Wirrabara your challenge is to locate the skull within the background & what image is reflected in the robin's eye..
safe travels

https://www.australiansiloarttrail.com/south-australian-silo-art-locations

West coast/Eyre peninsula has numerous silo offerings.

we're off to WA mid Feb, usual goldfields-god's own country, south west coastal then return thru wheat-belt.

FollowupID: 925202

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 08:52

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 08:52
If coming back through South Australia, make sure you detour through Bute to one of our States best painted art, that also appears of the cover of next year’s calendar.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925204

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 21:00

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 21:00
Thankyou for the links pete g1, I didn't realise SA had so many.
Might have to change our planning a little and not spend too much time in Vic.
Enjoy your trip to WA, in Busselton check out the SDA campsite , right on the beach, good spot
and you don't have to be a member of the flock to stay.

Yes, Stephen , we'll definitely check out Bute on our way home.
FollowupID: 925218

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Dec 30, 2023 at 13:21

Saturday, Dec 30, 2023 at 13:21
Hi Rob

If you want to do a little zig zag through South Australia, there are some great silo art to see here.

Travelling north from Mt Gambier, you could make your first visit to Coonalpyn. From there you could detour to Karoonda, with its great silo art, then detour up to Galga, the newest site for South Australia, then further north to Waikerie. The silo art here is unique for all of Australia, as they are the only silos that have been painted both back and front.

Then to Eudunda for more great silo art. A special detour from there to Farrell Flat for more great colourful silo art, then to my favourite at Bute, which is so special. A few more bitumen back roads to Wilmington. If you still want a little more zig zagging, down to Cowell for more special art then north to Kimba for your last stop before your final run west.

Safe Travels
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925224

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 23:25

Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 23:25
If I was going to Geelong I wouldn't start in Sydney ...

Sorry, it's an old joke but I couldn't help myself.

Have a Nullarbor crossing on the cards next year . I've made note of your camping spots.

Enjoy Tasmania. I was there many decades ago. It's special.

Cheers
AnswerID: 644990

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 23:53

Thursday, Dec 28, 2023 at 23:53
Thanks to all the replies - no one suggested either of the 2 options I had mapped out which was interesting… im still reviewing each of the suggestions so apologies for my lack of replies. Im still working through it it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644991

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 10:40

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 10:40
What are the options you were thinking of?

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925208

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 11:03

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 11:03

We know we want to leave Sydney via the coastal route to Wollongong but due to school holidays we thought it best to get to Victoria via the Snowys but very unclear which route - (we’ve done some very extreme 4wd tracks in the Vic High Country previously but hoping to find some tamer ones to take the trailer across). Hence my questions which way. Happy to hear thoughts?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925210

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 16:07

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 16:07
David, it's a bit hard to see from these map your exact roots but to me, they look like you are a black top traveller.

The first map looks like you are going through Thredbo and over Dead Horse Gap to Khancoban. It's an interesting run. In the tame caravan forums, every time that route surfaces, you get a bun fight as to whether it is suitable for trailers or not. You are experienced enough to enjoy the trip. I have towed it both ways with a 19' van, both directions. You will be challenged by a gatekeeper for a hefty fee to enter the Kosciuszko Nat Park. However, if you inform him/her that you are just passing through, you will be issued with a two-hour pass to travel through. When I did it, in the company of two larger vans, we had a quick lunch at Tom Groggin and got through in a reasonable time.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925214

Sponsored Links