Trailer Brakes

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 14:46
ThreadID: 146875 Views:1465 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.

We've just finished our big lap but upon leaving we found an issue with the trailer brakes.

We were staying in regional Victoria and decided to hook up the night before as you do so we could leave on time the next morning. My partner hooked up the caravan to our 22 prado and plugged in the trailer brakes. Took it for a drive and noticed they were stuck on. So we stopped and as we were trying to figure out why they were stuck on I noticed smoke coming from the rear of the car where the alko trailer brakes are wired in. We cut power and unplugged. We had no trailer brakes, no tail lights or indicators. My partner was able to rig up so we had indicators on the trailer but they cars tail and brake lights stopped working. So we blew a few fuses when this happened.

We got it back to tassie with no trailer brakes and went back to Toyota as we thought it had to be a problem with the brake controller they had installed. We took it in there they had it overnight to replace the module and they tell us there wasn't an issue with it when we picked it up. It just wasn't wired correctly. But we have had brakes lock on and it play up before.

Anyway my partner can't find anything out of the ordinary on our caravan but now the cars all fixed we're afraid to re connect it incase it happens again.

The only thing we could think of is the day before we left he used the car to tow his grandfathers caravan and we had issues after that. It was fine before hand.

We replaced the brake away before we left 12 months ago. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 18:01

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 18:01
Hello B L
To me it seems you have a trailer plug issue. Either the base on the vehicle or the trailer plug itself. Maybe someone has performed sloppy wiring and some strands of wires are touching where they should NOT. If you get someone to modify a blown fuse which has wires soldered to it and a 30 watt globe on ends of wires, it can be plugged into the vehicle fuse slot and IF there is a short or unusual heavy current draw the 30watt approx globe will illuminate brightly and not simply glow. That way, IF bright, you know immediately there still is a problem.
The fact the vehicle lost park and stop lights, indicates a short circuit in the base of plug. Should be easy to find. Looks like someone doesn't really know what they are doing or checking in the dealership. Maybe an auto elec or someone who understands the systems is needed. Dealers may not be the best option. ALWAYS carry spare fuses, if a second one blows, don't fit a THIRD WITHOUT fixing the fault first.
AnswerID: 645180

Reply By: wilkinson w - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 19:22

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 19:22
This sounds like a trailer plug problem to me. The RV's mounting bracket or the trailer's electrical connector. One possible explanation is that the wiring was not done properly and some wires are touching in places they shouldn't. To make it work in your car, you may have a blown fuse with wires attached and a 30 watt globe connected into the fuse slot. Then, whenever there's a short or an abnormally high current draw, the globe will light up, not just glow.
AnswerID: 645182

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 21:30
What part of ***** are you from? Nonsense repeating of a post AND - Click bait ending on text.
FollowupID: 925444

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 10:47

Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 10:47
Click bait and geographical reference removed from above posts.

ModSquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925448

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 12:51

Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 12:51
RMD, it is a senseless waste of time replying to spammers. They do not bother returning to check their posting. They sit back and wait for any income that may come from their spam.

If you wish to do anything about those posts, you report them to the moderators. If you look below what you are now reading you will see a line of four tabs labelled Back, Reply, Watch and Moderator. Click on the one labelled Moderator. You will then be presented with a form to fill out. In the Feedback box tell them why you think a post would be dealt with and include the authours name for easy location. When you have completed the form then submit it and action on the offending post usually happens within half a day. I reported it before you posted (and possibly a few others did) and the spam was removed shortly after you made your reply.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925450

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 17:20

Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 17:20
I only did that so any unsuspecting people who read through didn't click the link they showed. Nothing wrong with a geographical reference is there? Maybe it should have been Delhi, because another site I look at had one from Delhi around the same time.
FollowupID: 925452

Sponsored Links