Help !!! ARB (OME) vs Lovells GVM upgrade : Land Cruiser 300

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 13, 2024 at 23:07
ThreadID: 146980 Views:2155 Replies:12 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

I am seeking help on pre rego GVM upgrade. I live in regional sydney area and have just booked a 300 VX.

Earlier I looked at lift kits just for the extra clearance and may be bigger tyre/wheels, but looking at my aspirations, I think I may be crossing 650 KGs of useable GVM, So I decided to look at the GVM upgrades because it gives a lift anyways and I wont have to keep the weight in check always.
Having said that, my usages are not extreme and do not require me to upgrade over 4000 KG... I will be using it as:-
1. No constant load except the bull bar at front (No drawers or fridge in the boot). May be a roof rack later.
2. Occasional towing around 2 - 2.5 ton caravan
3. Some off roading and beach driving.
4. Need a bit of lift (40-50 mm) and want to fit bigger tyres (285/65 R18), factory ones are (265/65 R18)
5. Need it to be comfortable for city driving without any load in the boot as well.

I did get in touch with:-
1. ARB OME - they have 3 mods (3560, 3650 and 3920 KG), but the salesman strongly advised me to go for 3560 (stiffer ride without load otherwise). Although he did give me option to choose any shock/struts for 3560 KG - nitrocharger for $4819, MT64 for $5072 or BP51 (didnt ask)
2. Lovells by Fulcrum - The rep suggested 3800 KG gvm for $4000. Looked up lovells website, which says its a twin tube shock set up (might be similar to OME Nitrocharger).
3. I heard a lot of good things about Bilstein but didnt find any shop near me doing a GVM with it. So its out atm unless someone here can point me to any good workshop

Now, I myself have gathered all this info about the good brands by reading online, having no personal experience about what is good/better in Australia. I am looking for suggestions/experiences on these kits, and also if you can share some insight on what GVM weight I should look for based on my usage.

I am also waiting to hear from my toyota salesman how he will arrange it, mostly he will add luxury car tax on it (and may be towing cost) and give me a $ figure.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 07:02

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 07:02
Hi kratos,

If you have the money, I would be “future proofing”, and going for a GVM/GCM upgrade. I would be aiming for 4,445 kg GVM, and 7,990 kg GCM. That way, if you upgrade your van, or decide on a “Tinney” on the roof, or long range fuel tank etc. in the future, you still have the weight capacity to cope.

As far as “brands” go, I have the ARB/OME 3,900 kg GVM upgrade on my 200 Series, however, if doing again, I would opt for the Lovells.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645289

Follow Up By: kratos - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:08

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:08
Thanks Macca.

Will the ride quality be ok with that high GVM? I will use it for my city driving as well.
FollowupID: 925561

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 21:12

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 21:12
Unloaded the ride quality will be ordinary due to the heavy springs and shocks
FollowupID: 925566

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 06:51

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 06:51
To be honest, I have a fridge and draw system in the back of my wagon, so I carry a reasonable weight in the back all the time, plus I have my spare wheel on the back in a replacement rear bar/wheel carrier, so I do not notice it. It is also my daily drive. Yes, the ride will be stiffer. With the ARB/OME set up, it is adjustable, so you can vary the ride comfort some what, however I don’t bother adjusting. You would have to check the Lovell’s set up.

When it comes to suspension upgrades, and other add on accessories, everything is a compromise. A lift, even a small one will make it harder to get in and out. Heavier suspension will make the ride “harder”. Bull bar and winch will drop the nose. Roof rack will increase fuel consumption and be a little “noisier”. Long range fuel tank required my spare wheel to be carried on a replacement rear bar wheel carrier. My vehicle is set up for long range remote touring.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925567

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 08:09

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 08:09
I’d agree with Macca, Kratos, go for the highest GVM rating available & my choice would be Lovells. ARB seem to have lost the plot to some degree.
Have had Lovells suspension on 3 different Toyota’s, a Hilux dual cab, an HJ60 & an 80 series, and in all three, ride was improved immensely.

Might be worth checking an upgrade with Ironman too. Our Landcruiser ute has an SSM GVM upgrade to 3900, and has stood up well over the past almost 9 years, on tracks on Simpson, CSR & towing on the Gibb. The Ironman Foamcell Pro shockies seem to be very good.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645290

Follow Up By: kratos - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:11

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:11
Thanks Bob

I asked a similar question to Macca as well that with the high GVM, will I still have a comfortable city ride without much load.

I did go to Ironman as well but they are having some issues with their certification at the moment. So they gave me a lovells quote instead. They were happy to do just the lift kit with ironman shocks.
FollowupID: 925562

Reply By: kgarn - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 08:40

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 08:40
Another option:

Pedders GVM upgrade
AnswerID: 645291

Follow Up By: kratos - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:13

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:13
thanks @kgarn,

I did call Pedders, but couldnt get hold of the person handling GVM. maybe I will follow up.
But I did check their website, they have only one option around 4090 KG I think.
FollowupID: 925563

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Feb 19, 2024 at 09:26

Monday, Feb 19, 2024 at 09:26
I don't like Pedders in general there misleading I tried to get my suspension done at one of their branches yrs ago. After discussing what needed to be done I I booked an old GQ patrol in to get everything replaced all bushes tie rods sway bars a wheel allignment a lift kit fitted everthing suspension related bought back up to like new. Wow I was surprised how fast they done it finished before closing that day because it was a big job. So turn up ready to pay several thousands for the bill and all they done was an inspection w.t.f. Wanted me to book it in another day never been to one again and never will. They are useless I've never been to someone needs to waste your time trying to sucker you in to make several bookings just to get something fixed on your car and they also claimed all parts were in stock.
FollowupID: 925611

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 18:16

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 18:16
Having had a Lovells GVM upgrade on our rear leaf-sprung Patrol ute (3400kg to 3900kg) I wouldn't choose Lovells again.

It would suit some but not others - I would be in the latter group.

My view is that the Lovells upgrade was designed primarily for carrying extra loads on road, not off road.
The rear suspension was overly stiff & tended to transfer the forces experienced on uneven suface to the vehicle chassis rather than 'flexing' as required when off road.

Ths realisation became very apparent from the frequent snapping of bolts which held the rigid canopy to the chassis. It was something I tried rectifying in many ways, but basically we ended up simply travelling with a supply of replacement bolts.

When we broke a rear leaf somewhere on the Munja Track in the Kimberley I was unable to get a Lovell replacement within a reasonable time frame, so opted to replace the Lovell springs with what I was able to get - Dobinsons springs with the same rating, sent from Darwin to Kununurra.

They were a revelation! No more broken bolts, no more squeaking & groaning on any surface which was other than flat, but still supporting the load in a controlled manner whilst providing a lot more suspension travel.

Lesson learned was 'Suspension ain't suspension'. The Dobinsons was far superior to the Lovells & continued to be for the rest of the time we owned the Patrol (4 years) without sagging.

Of course things might be different with coils all round, but I would suggest that asking questions about the intended use of different manufacturer's GVM upgrades beyond simply load carrying might be wise.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 645292

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 19:57

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024 at 19:57
Dobinsons for me. They have been at it since the early 1950's and know what it's all about.
Wouldn't go near Iron Man again for quids! Springs sagged and broke 2 leaves. A shocker totally failed at less than 5k and they denied warranty!!! Replaced the lot with Konis.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 925565

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 06:59

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 06:59
Cuppa,

Bit of a difference between the leaf springs on your Nissan, and the coil springs on the latest Landcruiser. Without wanting to start a whole new discussion over leaf springs vs coil springs, leaf springs were always stiffer, and were good for carrying heavy weight, but coils tend to be a little more “forgiving”, and absorb the bumps a little better.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925568

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 08:32

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 08:32
You are correct Macca.

I wasnt trying to compare leaf vs spring. Rather to reference the difference between on & off road focussed GVM upgrades from different manufacturers.

Of course their is leaf suspension & leaf suspension. Some far more forgiving than others . Eg the long travel leaf suspension in OKAs. But no doubt that most coils are more forgiving than most leaf springs.

Also in the Nissan Civilian bus we used to have the original factory leaf springs were parabolic.When I replaced them I couldn't get parabolic springs to fit, so had some multi leaf (12) packs made up by a very experienced (4 generations) spring works. They assured me they would be fine. I was worried they would be way too harsh. Luckily they knew what they were talking about & turned out to be more 'plush' than the originals but with far better control. Spring making is a black art I think.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 925569

Follow Up By: kratos - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 10:49

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 10:49
Thank you so much all for sharing your experiences....

I did check Dobinsons and Tough Dog as well. Both are above 4000 KG.
Tough Dog rep gave me a ball park figure of $6K for their 4139 KG upgrade, but again emphasised on weight.
Dobinsons - got a quote for $10k for 3999 KG- this was by far the most expensive one. I think the guy took it to extreme, without listening to my requirements, just overselling me.

Looks like I am going to choose between ARB and Lovells only. Not checking Pedders - they are also 4000+.

Leaning towards Lovells; will try to visit them this week and have a general chat about my usage with the sales rep.

3800 KG is just a little more than what I need and gives me good weight to play in future as well. For 4K I can't argue their value. I understand the ride might be a little stiff but should be manageable.

will let you know how I go.
FollowupID: 925571

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 12:19

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 12:19
Good to get your feedback kratos, & hope you get what you need.

I am a very surprised at the Dobinson pricing though. I know when I replaced the leaf springs on my Patrol that Lovells wanted just over double what Dobinsons charged!

FollowupID: 925572

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 16:11

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 16:11
I have the Lovelles GVM/GCM 4,000 - 7300 on my 200 series.

Very happy with it. The ride not towing is fine by us but we don't live in town and are used to bouncing around a bit so it doesn't seem stiff or hard to climb into for us.

I have a 300 on order (in fact they called me this morning saying it was being built now for delivery March.)

I told them to put it back to the original August delivery as we are heading off in May and I wouldn't have enough time to prepare it and get some km under its belt before we do a 3.5 t tow for a few months.

I have chosen to go again with Lovelles GVM GCM pre rego.

I haven't been able to find any others that do a GCM

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

AnswerID: 645297

Follow Up By: kratos - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 17:32

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 17:32
thank you so much @bungarra ... closely comparable set up.

do you have much gear/accessories in your 200 when you are not towing?
FollowupID: 925576

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 23:43

Thursday, Feb 15, 2024 at 23:43
Hi Kratos

Too much add ons ?? The 200 has ARB bar and side rails, winch. 2nd battery under the bonnet, 2 compressors, full drawer system and fridge, significant recovery gear and tools always loaded..GVM with all that is 3222
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

AnswerID: 645299

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 07:12

Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 07:12
Hi Bungarra,

Similar to my 200 Series GX, except I have 275 Ltrs of fuel capacity as well. When fully loaded for travel my GVM is 3,400 kgs.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925580

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 07:36

Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 07:36
I note you are questioning the difference between different size GVM upgrades and ride quality
Check what parts are different between the different options, I know with Lovells and the 79 the same springpack is used on both options and is just a different certification so you won’t necessarily get a harder ride out of the higher GVM upgrade , this may be irrelevant to your vehicle but it is worth asking to know the differences to help make an informed choice
I suggest you call Lovells directly for a better understanding on what they offer
AnswerID: 645300

Reply By: Andrew L - Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 10:56

Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 10:56
Arb, and go for the highest or second highest. stay away from Lovell if you like your empty ride, simple as that.
AnswerID: 645301

Reply By: kratos - Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 11:34

Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 11:34
So I managed to talk to few popular suppliers in my area.

Lovells 3800 GVM is for $5300 ,(the site incorrectly said $4000, which is for 3560 KG) all fitted with option of 2 coils depending on load. The rep suggested softer coil for me and gave a data sheet (attached)
Lovells are with their twin tube shocks, they only do monotube with their highest GVM 4200KG

ARB OME also has a few options:-
1. Entry level 3560 KG GVM with Nitrochargers - $4800
2. Entry level 3560 KG GVM with MT64 - $5100 approx
3. Mid Level 3650 KG GVM with MT64 - $6000 approx (this also has option for Nitrochargers, $300 less i think)

All the options do not need me to upgrade my tyres/wheels immediately. I can probably change when the factory tyres wear off... some startup relief for me.
I have drilled down to either Lovells 3800 or OME 3650.
Waiting for the workshops to send me the final quotes.

I don't see myself with as much gear as @bungarra or @McLaren3030 anytime soon.
My first year will be mostly with front bullbar, dual battery (mostly battery box type), compressor and portable camping gear (tents etc).
AnswerID: 645302

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:21

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:21
With what you described in your first post I don't understand or see the need for a suspension upgrade unless you regularly pack a lot of gear when you go out then remove it when you get home. When you just get a regular suspension lift the springs and shocks will usually already be heavier than standard springs so you may be looking at spending more money for no real reason. I wouldn't bother unless you have a constant load as you'll probably end up with a rough uncomfortable ride you will hate. You could also look into replace the rear coil springs with air suspension for comfort and load carrying
AnswerID: 645317

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 14:03

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024 at 14:03
hi @Batt,

you are right for my first year usage... but as soon as I consider towing, it goes beyond.

Attached sheet is how I calculated...orange items are after first year. Ignore the simplistic GVM/GCM table... i know its more complicated but I don't see my GCM going beyond factory limit so all the options are ok.
I took 250 kg ball weight for a medium (slightly large) size towing.

FollowupID: 925603

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2024 at 14:43

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2024 at 14:43
Good to see your interested and care about what your going to carry and are correctly loading the vehicle where lots of people have no idea.
FollowupID: 925621

Reply By: Daniel G3 - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 07:45

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 07:45
Hi
The GVM upgrade offered by manufacturers can be very confusing. Lovells seem to get selected by most due to the GCM upgrade that they offer.
I am currently working through this minefield and consider the supplied shock absorbers are a critical factor when selecting a suspension upgrade.
If you are planning on going offroad consistently then the twin tube shock absorbers supplied by Lovells may not be the best choice.
I will more than likely go with Dobinsons due to the better quality shocks.
In my case I have leaf springs on the rear and coils on the front.
Heavy loads and fading of shock absorbers can easily end in disaster.
AnswerID: 645349

Reply By: kratos - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 11:30

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 11:30
Thank you all for your opinions/suggestions, huge value for me.
I decided on the ARB OME 3560.
It gives me just the extra 280 KGs on top with no constant load (sufficient for my usage), gives me a lift, and I think it will keep the ride as comfy as possible with the after market suspension.
I chose the MT64 front and rear instead of nitrochargers. (Lovells didn't offer choice of shocks btw)

I have confirmed my dealer to do it pre rego. The car should be arriving to dealer mid March and I am expecting delivery end of March after doing GVM and rego.

Surprisingly I am getting better price through dealer than the ARB quote I got directly. Noticed that for both GVM and Bullbar. May be its just because ARB guys don't apply any discount when they hear pre-rego, or may be they give discount to Toyota dealer for giving business.

AnswerID: 645354

Sponsored Links