alco suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1470 Views:6115 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at pulling apart my alco suspension on my camper and repairing it.
Can anyone give me any hints on how too and if they know where i can buy parts.
Thanks Karl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Yonnee - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
What's to repair? The Al-ko Rubber Suspension is a manufacturer assembled system that is pressed together at the factory in Hallam Victoria.
This takes a 10 tonne press to both assemble and disassemble, not easily done in your average backyard.
Advantages: Good ride, can be reconditioned, can be assembled with different weight ratings each side, simplicity.
Disadvantages: Doesn't like overloading, and in worst case scenario, breakages cannot really be fixed except for removal and return to Hallam.
AnswerID: 4813

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
A mate of mine replaced it with coils and shocks on his campomatic coz it bounced too much.
AnswerID: 4821

Follow Up By: Yonnee - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
They can. Al-ko's have a very narrow window of optimum weight ratings, but then again so do leaf springs.
The biggest disadvantage with coils is that running shockers is a must and can therefore be a bit on the pricey side when comes time
to replace them. They are also bulky. Not many trailers, campers or vans have huge wheel arches to accomodate the length of
a coil and shock absorber. Don't get me wrong, coils are probably the softest riding suspension with the longest travel,
but other than multi-axle, I don't know of many trailers that need wheel travel. Having worked in the industry for a number of years,
including Al-ko, everyone has their own opinion as to what's "the best". In my opinion, the best suspension set-up for a single axle trailer
is the "knee-suspension" produced by Melbourne Trailer and Caravan Supplies. A simple leaf spring set-up that does not use the springs to
hold the stub axle captive, so if you break a spring, it won't tear the axle from under the trailer. And there is no axle as such,
it uses a wish bone type that pivots from the middle of the chassis, so your ground clearance is the maximum available.
FollowupID: 2048

Reply By: Graham - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
Yonnee,

The 'knee suspension' you refere to, can suffer the problem of not keeping the wheel/tyre aligned as different weights are carried on the suspension and/or as the wheel goe up/down in an arc....... give me trailing arm with leaf or coils/shockers thanks

cya......
AnswerID: 4842

Follow Up By: Yonnee - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
I understand your concern with the wheel alignment of the "knee" suspension, but as with any independent suspension, the wheel alignment
is set up to be correct at the load rating that the particular vehicle is set up for. Even solid beam axles can suffer this to a certain extent.
Try putting 1500kg on your 6x4 trailer axle and see how much you'll wear tyres. Irrespective of your suspension choice,
make sure you know the load of the towed vehicle, including all the luggage you put in it, and add a safety margin. That way
you shouldn't have to worry about how easy the trailer suspension is to repair in the middle of nowhere! Happy Towing.
FollowupID: 2076

Sponsored Links