New Simpson Desert Recovery Service

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 15:56
ThreadID: 147086 Views:1792 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This from a post on Facebook. Sounds like a good thing to me, especially since Club 4x4 no longer want my custom with our new vehicle. Their remote area recovery option was one of two primary reasons I had remained with them almost since they first began. Wouldn’t it be good to have services like this for other popular remote area treks.

The Birdsville hotel is pleased to announce that it will be launching from late April/early May a Simpson Desert 4WD recovery service. A custom-built Mercedes Benz 4x4 Arocs equipped to cater for 5 passengers, including children if required, will feature a specially designed sliding tilt tray for recoveries in a rugged sand dune environment. At a cost of nearly half a million dollars, this state-of-the-art vehicle will revolutionise recovering vehicles out of one of the most remote areas in the country. Over the past 3 years no recovery service has been operated due to the retirement of an outgoing long-standing operator. This new operation will give confidence to those travelling and holidaying across one of the most beautiful places in Australia, the Simpson Desert, our backyard!
Crossing the Munga-Thirri NP however doesn’t come without its challenges and while this is part of the attraction for many, it can also be a worry for those considering embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. Most Roadside Assistance and General Insurance Polices do not cover the Simpson Desert and emergency callout services can take weeks and cost upwards of $10,000 meaning breaking down will likely ruin even the most resilient 4WD enthusiasts’ journey. In the coming weeks information on our Recovery Assistance Packages will be released and are designed to make an unfortunate breakdown rescue much more affordable for travellers choosing to buy a package. For only a few hundred $$$ you’ll be able to purchase a recovery package on-line assuring you peace of mind that if something does go wrong, you’ll be covered for a recovery. More details coming soon. "
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Feb 29, 2024 at 06:54

Thursday, Feb 29, 2024 at 06:54
That's actually a cool business model, selling a recovery package for a single crossing. It'll really help the nervous nellies get out there.
AnswerID: 645414

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Mar 03, 2024 at 22:27

Sunday, Mar 03, 2024 at 22:27
Hey Cuppa, what's the story with your Club 4x4 coverage - is it because of your new vehicle type, or just because you've changed the details? I've been with C4x4 for years, and nothing has changed in my policy.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645425

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 05:56

Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 05:56
Hi Wildmax, I too had been with C4x4 almost since they began & had no complaints.
About 3 years ago I was buying an OKA based motorhome which they covered for me.

That sale fell over at the last minute & I didn’t buy it, so subsequently cancelled the insurance, but C4x4 did cover it without any problem.

This time around I bought another expedition vehicle, & thought C4x4 would insure me. However things have changed at C4x4 in more recent times, I think since Kalen Ziflian, former founding partner & general manager of C4x4 moved on.

He is now Head of Marketing for a broader ‘umbrella group' of insurance companies which I believe use the same underwriter (Hollard) as C4x4. This group now includes KT (formerly Ken Tame & Associates) who insure Motorhomes. C4x4 described KT to me as as a ‘sister company’ when directing me to them for coverage of our new vehicle, saying sorry, we don’t cover 4x4 motorhomes/expedition vehicles.

My belief is that they simply have an arrangement with KT about who will insure what between them, but they did not confirm this.

The problem for anyone with a 4x4 motorhome/expedition vehicle, intended for remote area travel is that KT do not include a remote area recovery option in their product, & nor do any other insurance companies, leaving owners of 4x4 expedition vehicles with no remote area recovery options other than on gazetted roads via the state based auto organisations (RAC etc).

No doubt ‘Expedition Vehicles’ are a tiny niche part of the insurance market, & whilst I have been able to insure ours with another company, it seems to me that there is a significant opportunity being missed by the current insurance industry to provide remote area recovery for such vehicles, leaving owners like me with no option other than maintaining sufficient funds as an ‘emergency kitty’ to pay for recovery from places like the Simpson, & the Canning if things go pear shaped.

As a long term & claim free (bar one windscreen replacement) customer of C4x4 I was pretty disappointed to find myself ‘dumped’ in this way - a case of need but ‘computer says no’.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925718

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 15:41

Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 15:41
Thanks for that detailed reply Cuppa; that explains why nothing has changed in relation to the cover for my humble Hilux.
Agree with you that the expedition vehicles are a growing niche, and there certainly seems to be an opportunity for an insurer to capture that segment - though I guess at great cost, seeing the recovery vehicle you'd need would by a much bigger unit than for a regular 4WD wagon or ute.
Safe travelling !!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925719

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 17:46

Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 17:46
Many people, including insurers, have blinkers on when it comes to major breakdowns and how to react to it.
"Recovering" the vehicle might be the worst of numerous other options.
I have told this story here before, but we broke a (faulty) rear axle on the OKA 20km west of Poeppel Corner a few years back.
We considered several options and the chosen one was post an axle from Melbourne to Birdsville and have our friends pick it up and bring it to the vehicle.
Total cost was a tank of fuel for our friends and dinner at the Birdsville pub.
And an extra 8 days in the beautiful Simpson Desert.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645427

Sponsored Links