Pajero V6 Idleing?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1471 Views:2359 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,With my 1989 NF V6 Pajero I have a strange one, having just replaced my air filter and cleaned out the throttle body with spray cleaner ( Motor off & cold ), just wiped it out ( butterfly etc ) and when I reassembled it & started it up I have gained 300 odd revs. When started cold it runs at 1.100- 1.200 rpm & when up to temp it sits on 1000rpm . I have slowed it down with the screw in the top ( under plug ) .But it seems to lean & not as zippy. Has anyone struck this ?. Hoping for solution "Des".
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graeme N - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
Des, I had a similar problem with my NG V6. Unfortunately it wasn't good news. It was the Air flow sensor. $850 for a new one $400 for a 2nd handy.

I would suggest however, take it to somewhere with all the diagnostic gear because there are a few other sensors that can cause the same sort of problems, throttle, and temp sensors.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Graeme
AnswerID: 4822

Follow Up By: Des F - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Graeme, Thanks ??? for answer. Had you been fiddling (as I was ) or did it just start doing it ?. Which is the air flow meter ,is it in the air cleaner ?. Do you know if it does any damage or just an annoyance. Today it seems to settle down quicker. and seems to go about the same. It is hard to get it checked in Pirie because the dealer has changed and not much time with Mitsubishi. I wondered how long you used yours before fixing it . I need to go to the City 250ks away but dont want to do any more damage. It's getting Expensive! Just spent $ 2.300.00 on the gear box but love the car. Only had it 7 Mths. Regards Des.
FollowupID: 2051

Reply By: Graeme N - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Des, I had just replaced the engine, but original electrics. I don't think it does any mechanical damage, because all it is really doing is idling the car faster, hence using more fuel etc. I'm not a mechanic but thats what I understand. The sensors I mentioned allow the ecu to make ajustments. It isn't something I would want to continue for to long just in case (personal opinion).

To me it was just a pain in ther butt, because evertime you pulled up at lights etc, the engine revs would increase as you sat there.
AnswerID: 4853

Follow Up By: Graeme N - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry Des, forgot the rest of the question.

Yes, the air flow sensor is the large unit inside the air filter. I believe they are fairly sensitive, you may not need a lot to damage it.

Any decent motor workshop with electronic diagnostic gear should be able to tell you what sensor (assuming that that is what the problem is) is playing up.

Another thought is check the Throttle body is clean, I also had a problem with that, and also check all the pulse lines, some of those can affect the revs.

Cant think of anything else off the top of my head. Try those.

Cheers

Graeme
FollowupID: 2065

Follow Up By: Des - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Graeme, My problem is the revs dont vary just stop at 1.000 when hot , I have found a dealer in a nearby town and he is going to do the tests Tuesday. He said it should not hurt to drive it because it is only the idle mixture . The screw I adjusted is only an air bleed screw and he seems to think by cleaning it out has increased the air flow and by turning the screw in has reduced it . But I am getting it checked out. Thanks again for your help Regards Des.
FollowupID: 2066

Sponsored Links