King Canyon to Hermannsburg via Ernest Rd, Finke Track Thru Boggy Hole

Submitted: Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 16:56
ThreadID: 14710 Views:2767 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, We (3 adults and 2 kids) are planning to try the 4WD track from King Canyon to Hermannsburg from south to North via Ernest Rd, Finke Track Thru Boggy Hole in mid/late Sept 04. Our intention is to visit the Boggy Hole as we heard so much about.

According to the road report and the message on the ranger answering machine, the trip to Boggy Hole is OK but you have to turn back as the road THROUGH Boggy Hole is not possible, and according to some of the archived posts, this is done to deter inexperience 4WD driver to drive thru the area and get stuck, the way through is possible if care is taken and stick to the track. Is this possible ?

I am just wondering and really appreciated If anyone has made it through the Boggy hole recently and let me know the recent road condition. I am not a really experience 4WD driver. I have driven through the Tanami track, Gibbs River Track, Odanata Track and Palm valley Track but those track are easy/medium. From What I read so far about Boggy Hole track, It sounds like the road (Finke River track) is much worse. Is this true?

I have a LWB 2002 Pajero, a roof basket, a shovel and a manual pump. I intend to get an electric pump for the trip. Do I need anything else ?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DrewT - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 17:20

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 17:20
Hi.
I have just returned from a trip to the Red centre including a trip from Hermansburg to Ernest Giles via boggy hole. Yes we were told the track was officially closed but thought we'd have a squizz anyway, quite prepared to turn back if it was too dangerous. Got to Boggy Hole which was waist deep & decided not to cross there. backtracked upstream a couple of hundred metres where the track was already on the western? side. A faint bumpy track just continues on down the western side, meets up with where you would have come out of the deep river crossing and then proceeds on to Ernest Giles. The only difficult bit was a section of about 20m just after the deep river crossing where the track winds itself over/between some decent rocks. We just took it very slowly with a guide out front and had no problems (Prado120 with a 50mm lift, & tyres pumped up for extra clearance for that bit). my mate behind in a standard Hilux with tyres deflated for sand had no probs either.

The rest of the drive south of boggy hole was absolutely easy 4WDing.

AnswerID: 68060

Follow Up By: Liam D - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 17:30

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 17:30
Hi Drew, Thank you so much for the valuable information. At least, I feel a bit more confident to give it a go.
FollowupID: 328700

Reply By: Bluegeorge - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 17:36

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 17:36
Hi Liam
if you're going to spend the money anyway, go the extra mile and get a good quality compressor, many a cheap one has failed even before reinflating the first tyre. While you're at it get yourself a recovery kit(snatch straps, shackles etc). The "what if" factor comes in here... If you do end up stuck and someone else happens upon you, they may also not have recovery gear... or you may come across someone else in trouble, at least you can offer assistance if they don't have the gear... Spend the money and cover your own butt. If the budget will stretch far enough get a uhf as well, most people out there will have one. Even if you don't require it for emergency, you may just end up chatting to others in the area and might make some good new friends.

Blue
AnswerID: 68062

Reply By: fourplayfull - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 00:33

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 00:33
Yes Liam,
Boggy Hole is a great place to camp overlooking a 500m water hole amongst ancient red rock formations . I have just returned from said area and can assure you that the water crossing is smooth with only a few random rocks at the southern end - just keep between the sticks and a reasonable pace to keep a bow wave . The southern side is quite smooth if you travel in the water alongside the water hole . I camped for 2 nights watching various vehicles bashing diffs. etc. on the dry line . We ended up doing the water crossing 3 times as camera person did not have movie running .
Would definitely recomend having a snorkel & wave blanket as in a 4" lifted cruiser on 35 muds , the water level was up to the headlights . However by the time you get there the level should be down - have a great trip!- have a go .

AnswerID: 68115

Follow Up By: Liam D - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 13:09

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 13:09
Hi Fourplayfull
Thanks for the info, please tell me if any car without a snorkel crossed the water ? I have a Pajero and donot intend to fit one as I donot cross many creeks in my trips.
FollowupID: 329013

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 13:57

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 13:57
I read somewhere that they are trying to open a track from Wallace rockhole to boggy hole so see if it's been done when you get there as Wallace is a top spot also.
AnswerID: 68142

Reply By: Member - Steve M (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:09

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:09
Liam

I returned from Uluru yesterday and we did the Boggy Hole track from North to South. I wasn't prepared to risk my Cruiser on the water crossing and two of the group had no snorkels fitted so we took the diversion.

Good fun. Slow but challenging. Water crossing woulod have been quicker but placed the vehicle / trip at risk. Plus SWMBO wouldn't let me do it.

Took 6 hours for the 65km from Boogy Hole to Ernest Giles Highway. Lots to look at.
AnswerID: 68342

Reply By: fourplayfull - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:10

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:10
G,Day Liam ,

During my stay at Boggy Hole, the Rangers in a Diesel Troopy mit snorkel crossed twice. Then two Counties and a Defender crossed ( one County without snorkel) but he did use a bull bar blanket. As the other responses in forum have stated, if you are unsure take the rocky road with guidance as the rocks are heavily scared by diffs etc. I would still suggest using the parallel shallow water approach on the southern side even if you intend to by pass the main deep water crossing.

On a lighter note a snorkel would be a plus when travelling the Vic High Country Creeks - if they are dry at least it will keep the mexican dust out.

Ough ough ough !!!!

AnswerID: 68531

Follow Up By: Liam D - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:12

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:12
Thanks for the Info. I think I will try the shallow water approach first then the dry way. I don't have a snorkel fitted on my 4WD So It is quite nervous when the water is quite high as stated in early response. Please tell me If the shallow water pass is a lot longer and rockier at the bottom than the deep water pass?
FollowupID: 329152

Reply By: fourplayfull - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:42

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:42
Liam, the shallow water approach is a 100m track winding along the edge of waterhole through the reeds with an ideal bottom . this saves taking the high dry rock path up to the main xing anyway . After that if the water level in the main xing is no more than your recomended fording depth , then that is the best way. Otherwise , be extremely cautious & try to dodge the boulders as you continue adjacent to the water coming out the other end onto the main track without actually crossing the water. Good luck , the scenery fantastic , very old red rock formations.
AnswerID: 68672

Sponsored Links