Prado Air Flow Sensor Problem

Submitted: Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 18:06
ThreadID: 14714 Views:3707 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My Prado recently almost ground to a halt as result of dust getting into the air flow sensor (located between the air filter and the fuel injection). The dust caused incorrect air flow readings which in turn caused the computer to calculate an incorrect fuel mix. The vehicle lost power, barely able to pull the trailer up hills and max speed of 80 kph on the flat in second gear. No warning lights were activated. Fuel consumption was down to 4 km/litre. The dust apparently got past the air filter or in through the sensor housing.

Cleaning the sensor is apparently simple if you know what the problem is and have the correct cleaner fluid.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 21:02

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 21:02
Mate i'd be more concerned with how the dust is getting in past the air cleaner in the first place, especialy the amount needed to clog a hot wire sensor. there would be considerable damage being done to the engine while this is happening. Easy to clean just give it a squirt with some carby cleaner spray and let dry.
AnswerID: 68096

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 17:13

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 17:13
Gday
Ive heard of people having problems with foam filters getting oil on the sensor (that i think is different to a hot wire). Do u have one of those in the filter box?
Andrew
AnswerID: 68160

Follow Up By: enu - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:47

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:47
i to is interested in how the dirt is getting in
let us know if you find the cause
FollowupID: 329090

Sponsored Links