Victorian High Country

Submitted: Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 16:42
ThreadID: 147144 Views:1055 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
Friday leave for trip up into the High Country with LROCV (Land Rover club of Victoria). This will be my first trip with ExplorOz, and I can't wait.
I was attracted to this app when I first saw the detail of the 2024 topo map. All of a sudden my old 1:25000 maps we made redundant. I'm slowly transferring the notes I had entered onto these maps into ExplorOz. They will still be carried in case of a technological breakdown ie if my phone fails. I'm also running OziExplorer in parallel to make an accurate comparison for a short article I plan to write up for our club magazine, showing the evolution of navigation aids and tools for 4wd use.
My handheld GPS (Lowrance 100) is connected to my Codan 9323 HF radio, and laptop running OziExplorer. This may seem a bit over the top, but best explained by the fact some people call me Inspector Gadget. My Land Rover Defender has quite a few additions.
I am happy to have made the transfer to ExplorOz, as I see it as the latest evolution in the field of navigation. I like the fact it can all be done through my phone, which is my constant companion, and trip planning done on a laptop. Again something I use a lot. Having used OziExplorer for over 20 years, I have a lot of electronic data (Wpts) and the ability to import this information into ExplorOz, enables me to build on my history, and not simply replace it, and have to start all over again.
I've set my wife's iPad up, and my brother in NZ, so that they can see how my trip progresses, every time I get into an area of mobile coverage. Given that we're mainly in the top half of the High Country, and near the ski resorts, I'm hopeful that there will be good coverage. I was amazed how simple this was to do.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing over Labour Day weekend, and it will all start with a dinner at the Yark Hotel, and a night at the back of the hotel in the Yark Reserve. Does it get any better than that?
Cheers

Phillip Simpson
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 17:10

Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 17:10
Cheers Phillip, and have a great trip. You sound as though you are quite on top of all this electronic wizardry.
ExplorOz has all that I need , and much more.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645426

Follow Up By: Member - Vic4wd - Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 18:31

Monday, Mar 04, 2024 at 18:31
Hi Jim, thanks for your reply. I am a sick man. I have 2 diseases. I love Land Rovers and I love gadgets/technology. Both are made worse by the internet, Facebook MarketPlace, and a general lack of strength on my part.
I do however rationalise this by the fact, I'm a source of info for other people, and I actually put them to good use. I also keep things, so as a result, not only do old Land Rovers appreciate with time, so do technological items if you wait a while. I still have a portable Commodore 64 (SX64) that is now worth more and more each day. I forgot I had it until I did a tidy up of my workshop. What an investment, or so I tried to explain to my dear suffering wife.

Cheers

Phillip
FollowupID: 925720

Reply By: Tim Owen - Thursday, Mar 07, 2024 at 13:22

Thursday, Mar 07, 2024 at 13:22
Maybe I should follow you rather than Zach. I look forward to meeting you in Yarck and perhaps having a look at your tech/ExplorOz setup throughout the weekend - and the Defender of course.
AnswerID: 645440

Follow Up By: Member - Vic4wd - Thursday, Mar 07, 2024 at 14:29

Thursday, Mar 07, 2024 at 14:29
Hi Tim,
I'd suggest you follow Zach, as its 25 years since I've been up in the high country. Can't wait to get up there and have a play with my new software.
As mentioned I'm going to be running OziExplorer in parallel with ExplorOz, which I know is a bit unfair. Clearly ExplorOz is the next generation, and with Michelle and David's experience and vision, not just another new kid on the block.
We are lucky in that these days the technology is so good and useful, especially compared to when I started.
In the old days a trip guide was a series of distances between points that you read off your cars trip meter/odometer, if you were lucky to have one. Then GPS came in and it was purposely made inaccurate by the Americans with a process called dithering. The data streams had errors introduced so the accuracy was +- 30 m. This was due to the Cold War, so the USSR couldn't accurately target US sites. President Clinton cancelled the dithering philosophy during his presidency, and suddenly even more people were able to use GPS. Its now standard in your iPhone (amazing how many people don't know this).
Look forward to meeting you in Yarck, and more than happy to show you some of my gadgets. All have been "bush tested" and not just boys toys. I still have track data, that I made in '98 crossing the Simpson Desert, using a handheld GPS connected to a HP Palmtop 200LX. Boy have we come a long way since then.
FollowupID: 925737

Follow Up By: David I1 - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 15:52

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 15:52
I use oziexplorer and the GetLost maps. They are constantly being updated. Sometimes the changes are not good but in the main they are very useful. I keep a few of the older versions just incase I dont like the new updated ones. They cover all states and are "free" or you can make a small donation. Given Oziexplorer is $25, then the cost for GPS is Very Cheal
FollowupID: 925755

Follow Up By: Member - Vic4wd - Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 11:54

Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 11:54
Hi David. Just got back from High Country trip-absolutely brilliant.
I ran both OziExplorer and ExplorOz in parallel on first day, and after the first day, shutdown the OziExplorer as the ExplorOz maps were just so much better for a whole host of reasons.

Interestingly the trip leader was also using ExplorOz, and he told me that he uses it when competing in navex competitions. He was using an old iPad that occasionally gave a hiccup, but his phone worked perfectly. The iPad was good as it was setup for a wider view.
While I have still a lot to learn about ExplorOz, I have decided without any hesitation, to make the change away from Oziexplorer to ExplorOz.

On first glance OziExplorer might seem a cheaper option, the cost of multiple digital maps, and a GPS connected to a laptop for example, makes ExplorOz a very worthwhile investment. I have in a single map systems, coverage of the whole of Australia, and also data and comments and photos of fellow travellers that I can you in my trip selection. This is something that is special with the ExplorOz system. How well other systems do this I can't comment, as I haven't used them, but my research into 2024 Navigation software for my interest in 4wd application let me to ExplorOz, despite 25 years using OziExplorer.

I respect your choice, as each of us must use what we feel comfortable with.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson
FollowupID: 925770

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 14:03

Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 14:03
ExplorOz Traveller is really the only 4wd map /navigation system that I have used and have been very satisfied with the product. My only concern is that the impressive functionally seems to be forcing users to upgrade hardware to top of the line tablets. Less of an issue with phones whose processors are usually more up to date. I guess each user has there own way of using the software. In my case I plan online create a trek, them really only use the app live as an electronic map, so I don't find the app on a phone terribly practical.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925772

Follow Up By: David I1 - Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 14:46

Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 14:46
Hi Phillip,

I use Get lost maps (look up on google) Obviously if you have old maps you cannot compare each GPS if they are not the same vintage.. The Get lost maps seem to be updated twice a year or thereabouts. Each time with more and more info on them. Ie the latest now has toilets shown on it Very good if you free camp etc or even if out for day trip with females (not being sexist...just practable). So far Victoria is covered at 1:25000 on a single file. Have not looked at the other states, but will when I venture off. A lot of people do not know how to use the features of Oziexplorer. I did a 2 evening course which opened my eyes to a lot of things it can do. And being able to do things on a computer/laptop etc and transfer to a tablet is so much easier to do when trip planning if you know how. Yes it is an issue that it is not Apple supported, But I like using my 10" tablet as it is easier to see when just quick glancing .As you say each to their own . But for other readers there are other options hence my post.
FollowupID: 925773

Sponsored Links