GPS from Singapore?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:15
ThreadID: 14716 Views:2745 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm going to Singapore soon and thought I might while away some of the time by hunting around for a GPS bargain in those huge electronics markets over there. I've never used GPS but have recently read up about it and know roughly what I'm looking for. Question is: assuming I get a reasonable bargain, are there any drawbacks to bringing back a GPS unit from Singapore? Are there any localisation issues (basemaps?) that I may not appreciate and that might make it advisable to buy one here?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:22

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:22
Whoa!!!!

It wasn't that long ago that we witnessed a HUGE thread on your next 4 x 4 prurchase....

What did you buy?

You see, we can't give you advice on accesories until we know the vehicle........

Just taking the plss mate......... I donm't even know where Singapoor is....... maybe i need a GPS...........

Cheers

I'm Lost........ Wolfie
AnswerID: 68089

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:34

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:34
Hi Wolfie, I ended up buying a Suzuki XL-7, but I'm flying to Singapore :-)
I don't really need advice on the accessories but on whether I should buy Australian or take advantage of any bargains I might find over there (apart from everything else, it's fun to go bargain-hunting, if I drop the GPS idea I'll have to think of something else to hunt for...)
FollowupID: 328728

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:39

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:39
Suzuki XL-7....... that's the top of the range Suzuki isn't it?

Good work mate.

Can't help you with the overseas thing, I'm not that erudite or well travelled....... heard both good & bad stories......

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 68091

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:54

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:54
It's certainly the largest Suzuki - XL-7 supposedly stands for "extralarge" and 7 seats...
FollowupID: 328734

Reply By: CruiserHead - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:44

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:44
electronics in singapore are so cheap, becuase if you ourchase duty free, then the seller doe not have to pay and warranty to the manufacturer, because you are never going to go back to the shop and complain (unless travelling to singapore frequently). hence, if nothing does wrong with the GPS, you are a happy camper. but if it breaks, you won't have any warranty here in Oz, so might as well throw it away as it will most likely cost you an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

everytime I pass through singapore, I think of buying something. so far, I have purchased memory for my digital camera, but got the camera here for warranty reasons. you pay more here in Oz, but it could be worth it in the long run. especially if you buy something expensive, ie worth fixing if it breaks.

recently bought an etrex here in adelaide for just over $200 brand new for a discontinued line. so it might be worth shopping around.

good luck. cruiserhead
AnswerID: 68092

Follow Up By: CruiserHead - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:50

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:50
well, it is late, and i should check my spelling before hitting the submit button ... sorry for the mess, hope you can read it!

cheers,
cruiserhead
FollowupID: 328732

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:59

Friday, Jul 16, 2004 at 20:59
Never mind the speeling :-) I'm only thinking of buying a small handheld, something like the Magellan 315 or Sportrak, or one of the small Garmins. Probably wouldn't buy a camera either unless it came with an international warranty, but something in the $2-300 range seems a gamble worth taking. Most electronic gear tends to be alright if it works in the shop.
FollowupID: 328736

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:46

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:46
If you get a Magellan and keep the receipt - Magellan Aus will honor warranty - I think. Do the obvious and get the prices here and compare when you get there - if its cheaper - buy it. The cheaper units generally dont have basemaps anyway 315, yellow sportrack) so that will not be an issue - Map equiped Magellans (Map330, Sportrack Map and Pro, Meridian series) only come standard with US, Europe and Aus basemaps - so what they have in Singapore is a mystery to me. If you get a non Aus unit, basemap change will cost you (if done legally) and would probably negate any savings you made..though a US basemap equiped unit (for example) will work fine in Aus anyway.

Cheap units can be obtained on eBay - so check prices here also.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 68127

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:36

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:36
Thanks Greg, an international warranty would obviously be reassuring. Thought of Ebay, but haggling in the Singapore markets is more fun!
FollowupID: 328793

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:39

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:39
G'day Mungo,

I am in Singapore now, and will be here until the end of July. I had a look around Sim Lim the other day. Singapore is not a cheap as it used to be. Campare your options of getting it from the States at www.mall24-7.com which is where myself and mates get things.

When you do get here, Sim Lim Square is the place you want to go for electronic goodies.

Not sure about the basemap issues here though.

On another note, if you are going to be here soon maybe a beer is in order. Met up with a guy off the 80 series yahoo list last weekend and had a few pints.

Wazza.
AnswerID: 68488

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 18:30

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 18:30
Just talking to the tech here, the best place to go is Sim Lim Tower, not Sim Lim Square as I posted previously. All taxi drivers will know where it is. Or you can walk there from Bugis MRT station.
AnswerID: 69312

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:59

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:59
Hi Wazza, just returned from S'pore and found your message, so too late for the beer unfortunately! Went to both Sim Lims, and you're right it's hard to get a good deal but eventually bought the Garmin GPS-72. Best price I could find for that in Oz was 299 bucks, got it for 290 Singapore dollars (about 250 real bucks) eventually. That was in SL Square by the way, not SLT.
FollowupID: 329797

Reply By: Niko - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:45

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:45
You will find that GME will want to hold the GPS72 until they can determine if it is new enough to be within the 12 months manufacturers warranty. Whilst working for GME a guy came in with a foreigner and as GME held onto it until they could determine the exact date it leftthe factory in Taiwan. If the seller was a geniune Garmin Dealer you mayhave a chance with the receipt if it is older than 12 months. What GME will do if it is less than 12 months is hand you an exchange unit with a possible minimal fee. If it is older than 12 months, hard luck you have to buy a new one. You chose well, bythe way. I love the GPS72 as an all rounder. The size to some is an issue, which I understand. However, the smaller choice is without doubt the Etrex. If I was to buy a non-mapping unit, it's yours. However, I just sell the blighters.
AnswerID: 72065

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 20:10

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 20:10
Hopefully nothing will go wrong with it, they seem quite solidly built. I like the size, the small ones are a bit fiddly and have tiny screens. I just have mine fixed to the windscreen with one of the RAM mounts using a suction cup, rock solid and easy to glance at while driving. I don't need maps, just upload waypoints before a trip using Oziexplorer. Paper maps are much more fun...
FollowupID: 332264

Sponsored Links