Black Mountain Track

Submitted: Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1474 Views:5115 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On my "Cairns to Cooktown Sunmap Tourist Map" there is a track that runs north from Kuranda to Rex Range Road called
the Black Mountain Track. It is labelled four wheel drive only.

If anybody has anybody travelled down this track recently, I'd appreciate your advice regarding:

What sort of condition is the track in?
Can it be negotiated with a tailer?
Do I need any permits?
How long does it take to travel the full length of the track?

Thanking you in advance,

Gerald.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
I've only been down it as far as you can go without a permit and that was 10 years ago. That section was 2wd capable. I think DNR handles the permits. We've been meaning to arrange a permit and go up there one day soon.
AnswerID: 4820

Reply By: alreadytaken - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
black mountain road is in pretty good condition.I've never towed a trailer along it but I don't think it will be a problem. you do need a permit available from wet tropics I think, via dnr in cairns or atherton. takes about 2 or 3 hrs depending but take it easy cos of cassowary's etc
AnswerID: 4825

Reply By: Member - Keith - Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
Check out the July 2002 edition of the Overlander magazine at page 84 if you want some info on the Black Mt Nat Park.
AnswerID: 4830

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
I went through black mountain road on sat 13\7\02 permit is required from NPWS Macleod st Cairns FOC. Track is in good sound condition and runs from Kuranda to Julaten. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 4848

Follow Up By: Patrick Kearney - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Rob,

Just to go off the subject for a moment, as a Cairns local can you suggest any day trips in the area for my wife and I as we are venturing up your way in October.

Also are you aware of any affordable accommodation that would serve our needs as a base to have a good sticky. We are staying for about 3-4 nights.

Any assistance would be most apreciated.

FollowupID: 2241

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Patrick, the possibilities for day trips are endless, depends what your interests are. Rainforest at Kuranda, Coppelode dam, Cape Trib, Crocs at Daintree, Port Douglas, Chillago caves, Undara lava tubes, white water rafting, Dunk island , Mission beach. Give me a call when you get up this way. Cheers Rob www.4wdtraining.com
FollowupID: 2242

Follow Up By: Gerald Schmidt - Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks to every one who responded. I have just returned from three weeks away - going as far north as Cooktown. Thanks for the advice Rob. I did get the permit in the end. After you had posted your message, the QPWS moved from McLeod Street to Sheridan Street. Unfortunately, they were not able to issue a permit as all their stuff hadn't arrived - they didn't even have a fax machine to send my details to Atherton, so I had to drive to Atherton. Got to Atherton - the officer to issues permits was on training! I was advised to come back that afternoon when the permit was issued. I also got a permit for the Culpa Road but as it was raining quite heavily on the day I planned to travel this road, I decided not to due to the risk of damaging the track.

Gerald.
FollowupID: 2298

Sponsored Links