Kimberley

Submitted: Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 17:16
ThreadID: 147593 Views:1003 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
Travelling the Gibb this July with family members. Coming from Mitchell Falls to Mt Barnett then onto Silent Grove, I am wondering if 3 days would be enough time for this amount of travel and to do the 2 gorges?
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 18:37

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 18:37
"2 Gorges"?
Which 2 are you counting? I can think of 6 or 8 along there.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645729

Follow Up By: Lloyd M1 - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 19:58

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 19:58
Gorges. We are doing as many gorges as we can, this question was relating to Manning and Bell gorge.
FollowupID: 926091

Reply By: 3ways - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 20:31

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 20:31
Even if the grader had just finished 3 days is nowhere near enough time to drive from Mitchell Falls to Silent Grove with stopping to see all the gorges.

3 days camped at Mt Barnett would be rushed without doing any driving.
AnswerID: 645732

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 08:40

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 08:40
I think a little more research is required! Enough between Mitchell Falls & Bell Gorge to easily fill 2+ weeks (or much longer if you have the time). I suppose if all you did was to drive you could do it in a probably quite unpleasant 3 days but you would be asking yourself why you had bothered & probably putting yourself, your vehicle & others at risk by driving too fast. If you are going what will be an inevitably long distance to get to the Kimberley it really makes little sense not to do it justice whilst there

FWIW last time we were up that way we spent 4 months between Broome, Kalumburu & Kununurra & will return again to see places we missed.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645735

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 15:02

Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 15:02
Hi Lloyd, it sounds like you are more than likely time poor like many travelers who are not retired or don't have an agenda. Yes, you can do it in 3 days, but you definitely won't be smelling the roses. On my last trip through there I was absolutely knackered after the drive out of the Plateau. the corrugations left me with blisters on my hands, shoulders that felt like I'd done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, and knees that seized up on me, even though I drove to the conditions and had let the tyres down accordingly. We spent the afternoon and night at Drysdale Stn which was a good move. So that is 1 day and night. South/West of the intersection on the GRR, there are a few station stays/ Conservation areas well worth a look at with their stunning gorges, drives and swimming opportunities, where you could easily spend a number of days at each, eg Mt Elizabeth, Charnley River Wilderness camp and Mornington Wilderness Camp.Adcock Gorge and waterhole is only a short drive of the GRR and well worth the 100m walk for the view and swim. Then of course there is Mt Barnett with their famous waterholes and falls, where you could easily while away a few days or more. Also, Mt Barnett Gorge is well worth a look at. A good easy stop for an hour or more is Galvans Gorge. great spot for a swim and look at the art. When you get to Silent Grove/ Bells Gorge that again is easily an overnighter with a day to explore the gorge and have a swim etc.

So yes, you can drive it easily in 3 days but you will miss out on so much and you, your passengers and your car may suffer the consequences of doing so. But if as I surmise you are time poor there is always a next time because that region always draws you back time and time again.

Regardless, enjoy your time and drive safely.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 645754

Follow Up By: Lloyd M1 - Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:06

Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:06
Thank you people for your information. Duncan as you said we are time poor with our family only having 4 weeks to see this magnificent part of the country.
FollowupID: 926151

Sponsored Links