Shower water from the creek?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 17:46
ThreadID: 14767 Views:4382 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've read in a previous post about adding aluminium sulphate to muddy creek water to make it suitable for washing up or showering. We'll be camping by the Cooper next month and my questions are these:
1. Where can I buy aluminium sulphate?
2. How much do I add to a bucket of Cooper water?
3. Is this the best method?
(I think Jack Absalom mentioned this in his Outback Survival book, but I've lost my copy.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Poppy - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 18:03

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 18:03
Hi Barry
Try pool flock from any of the pool shops, same thing as aluminium sulphate
Regards Poppy
AnswerID: 68287

Reply By: Dunedigger - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 07:23

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 07:23
Aluminium sulphate will take a few days to settle the muddy water. I would just use it as it is and take extra drinking water. Aluminium sulphate probable does not do much for the enviroment either !

You can also buy it by the bagfull at produce shops.

DuneDigger
AnswerID: 68366

Reply By: The Banjo - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:47

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:47
Been doing it for a few years up at the Cooper. We use it only for washing. Aluminium Sulphate is the go - used to flock pools - get mine from Ace Chemicals in SA - any chemical supplier will have it - possibly a Pharmacy too - pool places also. It looks like sugar - dissolves just as easy - lock it away - special container, unless you want it served up by mistake in your tea ! - YOU NEED VERY LITTLE .... one rounded teaspoon in 20 litres of turbid water is plenty - try a level teaspoon first ! - slosh it around, let it sit still......might only take half an hour and all the mud will be on the floor - just dispense carefully to keep it settled. Probably every state in Oz uses Alum to flock their drinking water at the treatment plants
AnswerID: 68378

Follow Up By: Barry (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:16

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:16
Thanks Banjo (and others),

Yours was just the response I was looking for.
FollowupID: 328984

Reply By: The Banjo - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:57

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:57
Happy with the Tvan ? Had a good look at one while researching campers...we settled on a Campomatic but not sure when it will lob.....interested in stone guarding on the Tvan....have you added to it.?......seemed that chips would have been a problem ...I expect to have to add protection to the Campo.....seen what the Oodnadatta track etc can do to the former camper.
AnswerID: 68408

Follow Up By: Barry (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 13:01

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 13:01
Yes Banjo,
Very happy with the Tvan, although we've only done one short trip so far. In August we head up the Oodnadatta to William Creek, then back to Lyndhurst and up the old Strzelecki to Innamincka, then back to Melbourne via Tibooburra and Broken Hill.
Regarding stone-chip protection, yes I've added some of my own protection. I've added rubberised matting to the most vulnerable areas across the front, full height mud-flaps on the tow vehicle and an acrylic rear-window protector from Obie's Outback.
FollowupID: 329011

Sponsored Links