Snow at Barrington Tops

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 18:40
ThreadID: 14768 Views:2958 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has been up to the Tops this weekend to see if there is any snow. I have Monday off and I thought I might drive up and have a look
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 1 Mark - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:22

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:22
Matt ,
just only hours ago got back from playing in the snow at Grundys fire tower near Nowendoc.Had a ball and it was FREEEZING . I would say it would be worth a look tomorrow .

AnswerID: 68297

Follow Up By: schevchenko - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:35

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 19:35
Is that near niangala? how much snow up there?
FollowupID: 328897

Reply By: hoyks - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:24

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:24
We went up today. LOTS of snow on the Scone side starting about half way up the hill from Moonanne Flat. The Police were up there locking the dingo fence gates as we left due to ice on the road and a pile up on the forest side of the fence. We and some others gave a lift to a couple of families that had their vehicles disabled in the accident a lift to the Moonanne Flat pub so they could organise a ride home.

Take it easy as the road is slipery in spots, but it is the most snow I have seen up there for years.
AnswerID: 68331

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 15:30

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 15:30
Yeah, there is heaps of snow up there, was up there last night. I have never seen so much snow in the last 5 years. I went up from the Gloucester side, it was white before the first snow gates on the main road, the creek at polblue had ice formed over the top of it in parts and there was about 30cm of snow on the ground with snow falling just before nightfall.
The dingo gate was locked as we planned on exiting that way (ten points to the brainiac that did that without advising travellers from the gloiucester side!!!!).
At nighfall the road turned to ice around the polblue area, there were some people up there in 2wd vehicles wondering why they had trouble moving at all in the ice.
Anyway, take it easy it was quite slippery even in a yota but it was unreal to see so much white stuff.
Tim
AnswerID: 68445

Follow Up By: hoyks - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 16:00

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 16:00
The road got closed about lunch time due to the pile up on the Scone side of the gate. Icey road and no room to get past without risking going over the edge.
Last time someone went off there, it was about 6 years before they found him.
FollowupID: 329032

Follow Up By: Tim - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:40

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:40
I understand that the western access road down to Moonan Flat is quite dangerous, my "sore point" is that anyone who had planned on driving east to west (like me) had no idea the gate was closed unitl we got there making us turn around and go back over the tops.
While I had taken precautions knowing this sort of thing could happen others had not including a group which I came across who clearly had NFI.
There was also another 2 vehicles travelling together that had not made it out as planned last night and relatives had contacted the Taree police concerned for their welfare.
While locking the gate may solve one problem I think it creates other problems just as big.
Tim
FollowupID: 329081

Sponsored Links