buying used Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 18:48
ThreadID: 14769 Views:4282 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Iam looking for advice on buying a used Caravan. I am looking for 17to 19 ft poptop to sleep 3 .2 adults 1 child. I need the cavaran for 12 months to travel around Australia looking to spend upto $25K with aircon and heating .What make should i look for, what are the common problems with used Caravans any advise would help

Regards

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: schervo - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:12

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:12
gidday bdm. If you walk around some of the busier van parks, particularly now up here in cane toad country there are a heap of southerners vanning. You can really see what are the most popular vans and get to talk to the 'old mates' who normally love to yack your ear off. This site by explorer oz is excelent but when you can also see all the gadgets they have which work and don't work it is really valuable time. But it also depends big time on how much off road you intend to do. Might be a good idea to try it out in places like landcruiser park near Jimmna QLD. best of luck
AnswerID: 68326

Reply By: Salty - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:13

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:13
G`Day bdm,
Go to http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/caravaersforum and ask your questions. You will get better answers there.
Regards Salty.
AnswerID: 68359

Reply By: Mikef_Patrol - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:00

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:00
Hi Peter

Try this link http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum . Great group. Lots of knowledge there.

MikeF
AnswerID: 68380

Reply By: andysgu - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 17:15

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 17:15
Hi Peter,
Evernews are a good van well made , as with all vans look for water leaks in the internal corners Stress fractures in the cladding around the door Check the main chassis rails make sure they are straight not sagging the same goes for the outriggers that come off it .the list goes on and on take a torch and look in the back of the cupboard and beds and look out for things smutherd in silicone or just been repaired.
good luck Andy.
AnswerID: 68457

Reply By: time waster - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:31

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:31
I wouldn't spend too much on a van you only sleep in it .

We went around oz for six months in a 16ft pop top that we paid $5000 for and sold for $7500 on return.

You may need to spend more to allow for kids or kid. Have you looked at the Jayco camper where the beds come out the ends,this could be a good option as it gives the kids there own bedroom when the curtain is pulled across you still have the whole van to do as you please.

Anyhow just another option, remember you will spend alot of time outside so its alot of money to tow!
AnswerID: 68498

Sponsored Links