Oribin 5 Minute Tent

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:55
ThreadID: 14778 Views:7661 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys,
I'm a new chum to the web site but I love it.
What I'm after is any info on a tent brand called Oribin. They made a easy to erect tent called the 5 minute tent. I have one but was wondering if the company still exisists and if the do spares etc. If anybody out there knows anything I would greatly appreciate any help. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:39

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:39
browndog,

You are welcome here as long as you don't mark all the wheels. Our dog tries but runs out after two.

Can't help you on the brand. Do they advocate the 5 minutes as fast and easy? There are many that could take that long and a few that are much shorter. Have an Oztent here which is advertised at a 30 second tent. 5 minutes and we are nearly unpacked and into the first stubbie.
AnswerID: 68348

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:44

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:44
Hi Browndog , my brother has had a 5 minute tent for years , but to the best of my knowledge they are of the market these days, not sure about the company.
AnswerID: 68349

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:57

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:57
Southern Cross Single pole Trekker doesnt take much more than 5 mins, neither does a Normal dome tent. www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au

The issue with these "MAGIC" quick tents, is the space they take up, and the time they take to PACKUP.. yes up in 30 secs, down in 1 hour, and need a roofrack to pack away.
AnswerID: 68352

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 05:15

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 05:15
Have to take you to task there Truckster the Oztent only takes about 30 seconds to download, you send the SWMBO running around picking up the pegs while the MOTH collapses it. The downside is that it takes about 3 minutes to put in the bag if you dont fold it tightly.

Carolyn
AnswerID: 68362

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 06:36

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 06:36
AND......... it fits in the back of a Troopy.
FollowupID: 328954

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:46

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:46
Heer Heer The Oztent has served use well for many years. Fastest tent to up and down that we have ever seen. Most nights on overnighters no pegs are required.
Made my scones last night at around midnight ( unfortuneatly in the kitchen) and they were great supper, thanks for the picture that made me hungry. LOL
FollowupID: 328966

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:12

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:12
Glad you had some comfort food Steve, I cant get over how many of the guys in here cook. I just feel lots are getting the Cobb and it seems a good option but a few tips to get the best from them dont go astray. Mine was a present and I didnt get the extra stir fry thingy but I think the wok we use on a fire or the gas stove should fit ok.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 328970

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:21

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:21
Mrs Pesty (Glenda) has to have special bread as she is a coeliac, and when we have to cook bread and we cant use a camp oven we use a coleman folding oven which we bought long before cobb's were invented and it sits on our fuel stove and works well. Have freinds with cobb's and I think the secret is getting the beads alight. Andrew of Big kidz set me straight when he said to put basket of beads on the fuel stove for a few minutes to get them alight.
FollowupID: 328975

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:32

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:32
Thanks Steve, I didnt have that problem as I was lighting it on the dinning room table and it flared up really well, LOL. I did take fright when I ran outside as we were having gale strength winds here, once I got it into a safe somewhat sheltered spot it was fine. The booklet advises NOT to use no frills beads or starters and I had bought the recommended ones. I think you could also put a 25 cm dutch oven in it, I used to find in the old fuel stove bread didnt burn if I used the thicker iron or steel for bread. Its just all a matter of adjustment I think, I put some water in a small saucepan on after the scones were cooked and although I didnt wait for it to boil it got warm.

I will have some fun experimenting and post photos for anyone who is interested to look at. I bought a leg of lamb and might do that tomorrow evening. Hopefully the camera wont play up on me.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 328978

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:21

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:21
Fastest to pack up?? LMAO You havent seen my 1 man tent.

We had a club member give up trying to pack his away.. he ended up throwin it .. HIs wife went and got it back, and with help of several people they packed it while he had a beer.

YMMV
FollowupID: 328988

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:38

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:38
Packing sleeping bags and tents back into their bags has to be the only thing that give's me the shts about camping...
That's why I don't do it!
I roll the tent and fly up, grab my quick lock strap and rap it around it, then chuck it in the roof rack bag. sleeping bags are then grabbed and squished in over the top.
I don't have the patience for spending 30 minutes swearing and ripping little bleep ant bags! So I don't use them!
Same goes for the collapsable chairs, no bags, collaps, chuck on the roof!
Stop for lunch, grab the chairs out sit down, - finish, chuck'em back up, why the hell use the bags, what just becase they are there?? Chuck'em in the bin!
FollowupID: 329006

Follow Up By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 14:58

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 14:58
Have to agree with you Jeff, roll,strap,hoike, then squelch all the soft stuff around em. The only time I take a bit of time is if I'm not using em the next stop.
FollowupID: 329021

Sponsored Links