Avoca trip report - LC100 First Off Road Test

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:23
ThreadID: 14788 Views:2495 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Had heaps of fun on Saturday at Avoca.

We had 4 vehicles - WG Jeep Cherokee V8 Laredo, Prado (Maybe 6 years old??), a 60 series and my 100 Series.

Weather was cold but mostly dry - track conditions were damp.

This was the first time out real 4bying in the LC100 so the first part of the day was just checking how it handled.

A couple of highlights.

The first big grin of the day was when I was travelling up hill (I never go like a bull at a gate unless its the only option left so I was going pretty easy) when I started losing traction - stopped. The usual trick here would be to back down a bit and try again with a bit more momentum but this time I just flicked on the lockers and up she went - This is my 3rd 4b but the first with lockers so it was a very sweet thing.

The second bigger grin was an attempt to go up panel beater track. Next to the LC100 the Prado is next best equipped with suspension and a rear detroit locker. But after 3 goes the Prado wasn't going to get there. This track is complicated by a tree that will have you for dinner on the way back down if you're not careful so momentum is difficult to obtain. Well the LC100 just walked up (lockers engaged) and the driver was very happy indeed.

The 3rd highlight was testing out the downhill driving technique (for autos) where you hold a constant throttle position to apply power to the torque converter and control descent with brake pressure (using left foot on brake). This reduces wheel lockup. Well it works very well - we were going downhill on a pretty slippery slope using this technique and were able to maintain a conrolled descent. Well worth practicing. A word of caution you must practice this in safe conditions before using it where you need to.

Enough said. In short I was very pleased with the performance of the cruiser and came away with the following conclusions.

The Dick Cepek tyres handled very well. We ran pressures of 21PSI all day which seemed ideal - any lower on that type of terrain and the tyres would have copped a caning. They are a great alternative to the Cooper ST's

The Auto is a big advantage in ascents (as are the lockers - obviously) where speed control is important. Although it is a major disadvantage going down hill - the controlled decent technique does work and is a significant mitigating factor. I chose an auto mainly for SWMBC during the week - But in hindsight I would get an auto as my own choice next time anyway.

The Airlockers are fantastic and worth every $ they cost. The bonus of having air on board is also great. For the record my 25ltrs of air was just enough to bring 4 tyres from 21psi to 35psi.

We were not in heavily rutted terrain but we didn't touch the underside once the whole day - every other vehicle hit bottom - the 60 even got hung up once needing to be lightly snatched off. So for all you IFS skeptics out there we were not limited in anyway.

In terms of difficulty - the worst of what we did on Saturday would have stopped most factory vehicles but I wouldn't call it extreme - I didn't use the winch once and we only needed the snatch straps 2-3 times (always for the 60) - So I will conceed we are yet to really test it. - Looking forward to a trip with Eric one day *grin*

I'm not wanting to set off the usual debates by this post. This was our experience and our conclusions - hope some of it is useful.

Gaz

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:16

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:16
Hi Gaz
On Friday I picked up my LC 100 T/D from ARB where it had been getting front and rear diff locks fitted and a heavier duty suspension . I am happy to hear about how well you did , as I have spent heaps of money getting all this work done .
Regards ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 68385

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:19

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:19
You won't be disappointed. I'm obviously very happy with our truck. You should have many days of fun ahead.

Gaz
FollowupID: 328974

Follow Up By: Member - NewMan (VIC) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 15:16

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 15:16
Gaz

You may want to investigate the Auto lock mod that has been mentioned on the forum.

Or speek to Eric, as it looks like it would negate the need to remember which foot you have on the brake and which you have on the go pedal.

Tony.
FollowupID: 329027

Follow Up By: Member - Bear - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:13

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:13
Willie
Did you get the dearer of the 2 ARB OME options with the LTR shocks.
I had these put on my new 100 last week and can't wait to test the outfit...

FollowupID: 329065

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:45

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:45
Hi Bear ,

As a mechanic , I am a good fisherman . With this in mind , tell me what an LTR shock is . I just ran a torch over the shocks they fitted and as a top class mechanic I can report that they are definitely yellow !

I do know that I let him sell me heavy duty replacement torsion bars .

Sorry ,

Willie .

FollowupID: 329074

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:51

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:51
That auto technique work really well hey, I've used it in mud and on sand dunes, bloody great.
AnswerID: 68416

Reply By: pjd - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:33

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:33
Hi garry sounds like you had fun
would it be posible to get the names of the hardest out around avoca as i havent been there yet & when i do i cont want to wast time driving around on 2wd tracks all day any help would be great thankyou
AnswerID: 68487

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:02
I wasn't navigator on the day so I can't give you the track names. I contour map of the area will reveal all. Its a pretty small area.
FollowupID: 329268

Follow Up By: pjd - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:58
thanks
FollowupID: 329362

Reply By: Mike-TS - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 23:35

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 23:35
Gaz,

Do you have 4 or 5 spd LC?

I like the look of the 5 spd box (the zig zag slot!) and it must be better because it gives more ratio spread.

Mike
AnswerID: 68540

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:01

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:01
Its a 5sp - and is very good.

The downside is in low range shifting between 2-3-4 it can't make up its mind. i.e. tends to hold gears too long. The 2nd Start button gets a real work out. You can force 1st & 2nd instantly by selecting either when that button is pressed. But if you are going along the level for any time its better to shift to high range.
FollowupID: 329267

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:40

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:40
sorry i missed ya's i went up for the arvo on sunday and had a great day in wet conditions not a bad area.

near nowhere track was fun and rutted and the one of the helipad tracks at the top was impossible in the wet (ver y steep and slippery i even fell over).

must head back there soon. (with lockers lol)
AnswerID: 71334

Sponsored Links