position of spare tyre

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:08
ThreadID: 14789 Views:1616 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all,

would like to throw open to the forum, the subject of positioning of a spare tyre on a roof rack - front, back,middle. Very well aware of centre of gravity etc, but just looking for everyones thoughts.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:15

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:15
After having unpacked the rest of the rack to get to the tire in 30+ degree heat, then changed the tire, lifting it back up onto the roof, then repackin rack would be a mission.

Does it have to go up top?
AnswerID: 68397

Follow Up By: cazshaz - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:42

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:42
Sorry Truckster this trip it does....

Will be getting a swingaway before next trip, but funds do not allow at the moment. Only other things on roof rack will be very small and light tent and small tarp.

So any advice appreciated
FollowupID: 328993

Reply By: Bros - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:26

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:26
cazshaz,
Getting away from your thread, but for your info.
Talked to the ranger in Cooktown this AM and he said road to Bathurst Bay fairly easy at the moment. Water headlight height crossing Barramundi Creek but firm bottom. Sand starting to break up closer to the Bay.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68422

Follow Up By: cazshaz - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 13:21

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 13:21
Thanks Bros,

was going to ring ranger this weekend myself just to check....1 silly question tho, is Barramundi creek salt or fresh water and sorry another one, about how wide is Barramundi. Sorry we will probably miss you. We wont even be able to let you know conditions, as we will be travelling back to Tweed Coast when you are on your way up.

Keep in touch

Shaz
FollowupID: 329015

Reply By: Bros - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:08

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:08
Shaz,
Barra Creek is fresh water and about 25 ft. wide. (roughly) We have camped o'night on the western bank and seen plenty of "eyes" in the torch light. Salties or freshies i don't know.
The second crossing of Barra Creek on the way in is apparently cut up if you follow the straight ahead road. The ranger said to follow the tracks of all the other vehicles.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68468

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:13

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:13
Place it at the back left hand side [passenger side]. Then if you need to get it off in traffic you can drop it onto the pavement side away from traffic. Lift it back on with a rope while standing on the roof. Holding one of those big suckers above your head is not easy. If it is at the back, you don't accidentally take off a door that might be opened at the wrong time.

See... there was an answer. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 68478

Sponsored Links