Snorkels and Foam Type Air Fillters - Are they worth fitting?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 148 Views:3580 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 98 Prado with a V6 petrol engine. Will a snorkel and/or foam type air cleaner improve fuel economy or performance to this type of vehicle? Is the high price justified (quoted about $700.00 fitted for a snorkel, and about $100.00 for a foam filter, in Tasmania). I am planning a very extended trip towing a caravan through Australia. I not planning on taking the Prado swimming or onto dust bowl roads (intentionaly).
Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Monday, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00
Peter,yesterday i was given by A.R.B a new price list for W.A and the Safari snorkel(ss185HF) is quoted at 506-00 incl fitting and GST,tell you suppliers to sharpen the pencil,
foam filters are very good ,but the original is washable and readily avail from 230 dealers Aust wide
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 284

Reply By: Joe McDermott - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00
Peter - you obviously have already realised that the snorkels main use is to source clean(er) air from what is hopefully a less dusty part of the atmosphere. Keeping the air source above water level is normally a lower priority and I suspect that you would not be fording anything much deeper than 30cms with a caravan anyway !

So, if you are never going to be travelling dusty roads or deep fords the snorkel is not needed.

Foam air filters - This is more of an economics choice than anything, although the relative efficiencies are worth looking at.
Efficiency - Oiled foam filters will trap particulate matter as efficiently and a paper filter, but will retain that efficiency level for longer than paper filters and generally will flow more air as well.
Economics - Oiled air filters are re-useable and so save on the costs of replacing the paper filter every service. They are also user serviceable on trips, so if you do come across very dusty conditions, you can keep your filtration system up to spec much more effectively. As they tend to flow more air than a paper filter they can also keep up with engine demands more easily and a marginal improvement in consumption may be the result.
So, are foam filters worth it ? If you keep you 4WD for long enough to make the investment pay for itself in the cost of paper filters not used then Yes. Or if you are prepared to keep an eye on the filter condition and clean and re-oil as necessary then Yes as the engine will be breathing cleaner air and more of it.
Personally, I have fitted the foam Finer Filter to my truck, but I havent (yet) fitted a snorkel. However, with a Cape York trip planned for winter 2002 I will be fitting one.
AnswerID: 291

Follow Up By: Rod - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2001 at 00:00
Joe,
I intend to do Cape York in 2003. I will be intrested in your experiences and comments about your trip. I can be emailed at rodw@telstra.easymail.com.au. thanks
FollowupID: 54

Reply By: William - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:00
IF finer filters are so good... Why dont earth moving machinery use it???
There is a lot more filtering area in a paper filter (once you unfold it) than in a finer filter.....
AnswerID: 293

Reply By: George - Monday, Mar 26, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Mar 26, 2001 at 00:00
Not knowing the setup of a Prado I can only comment on my experience.
My org. Toyota set up was very good with cyclonic spinner built into the guard and with a tarp across the front you could ford quite deep water. (over the bonnet in fact)
I own a 80 series diesel and have fitted a sorkel and what was a quite vehicle is now very noisy, with the roar of intake noise.
As for clean air, it picks up more rubbish and dust than before.
Would I fit one agian ----- No Way.
Spend your money on something practical.
AnswerID: 307

Reply By: Jim Sutton - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2001 at 00:00
Snorkels are worth fitting if you are intending to drive through deep water. Prodos are pretty good waders when compared to other similar vehicals.
You can also fit a precleaner to the top of the snorkel for very dusty conditions, however my experience with precleaners is that they effect your fluel consumption when travelling fast on highways.
DO NOT fit a foam type air filter stay with Mr Toyotas paper element. (when foam filters become ladden with dust they are prone to beeing sucked inwards which creates a gap that uncleaned air can flow straight to your engine.)
AnswerID: 313

Reply By: John Wood - Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00
Peter I have a 1992 3.0 litre petrol GQ Patrol, no power house for sure. I had used a foam air filter for 6 years or so and recently decided to replace it as it was starting to deteriorate. While waiting for new foam elements to arrive I replaced it with the standard Nissan paper filter. Suddenly the Patrol gained a new lease of life, smoother, better performance, cooler running and better fuel consumption. I thought that this was possibly due to the fact that the old foam filters were cactus . When I fitted the new foam elements the performance gains went away. I refitted the paper filter and the gains re-appeared. I now believe that the foam filter was strangling my engine. This may not be true for all engines or air cleaners but it sure was with mine. I now run with the paper filter and would only contemplate using the foam filter for an extremely dusty section of a trip. It is simple to take both filters with you and change in the field.
AnswerID: 321

Reply By: stephen mills - Saturday, May 05, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, May 05, 2001 at 00:00
I have a finer filter fitted and would swear that I use a lot more diesel and no increase in performance. I fitted it because the paper one blocked on a long trip and thought that a re cleanable one would be good- sales pitch and all that!
sorry will be throwing it out before next trip!
I have an 80 series diesel Toyota
steve
AnswerID: 429

Sponsored Links