Odourless Kero

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 16:35
ThreadID: 14802 Views:6093 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We just got back from our winter trip so I've been off line for a few weeks, although having had a quick look at last few pages it seems like there has been plenty of the usual action.....

You may remember a few weeks ago I was asking about where I could get some decent Kero for the old Pressure Lamps I was resurrecting having discovered some of the dark blue stuff is not up to the job in a lantern of this type. The thread seemed to take off in all directions and ended up covering Carbide, Shellite, how to light a Tilly, Carbide as expanding bait etc tec. All good fun but still no wiser on the Kero.

Anyhow... I tried some "Diggers" brand that you see in Big W and so forth and it worked OK in the Austramax and Tilley. Then when in WA I discovered "Diggers" also make an "Odourless Kerosene", which is clear like shellite. I picked up some at Trailblazers in Albany. What a revelation...absolutely NO SMELL whatsoever and only fractionally more than the regular stuff.

I tried it out in the Austramax and it worked fine. The packaging says it is more highly refined for use in lamps and cookers etc

Diggers is based in WA and I saw it on the shelves over there in a few places, but not since returning, I'll be contacting them to see who stocks it over here in Sydney.

Just for the info of the Kero Lamp fans..

Regds

Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:16

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:16
Billy,
Just happened to dig out my two old kero lanterns the other day and proceded to fire one up. The kero smelt off, but she still went until the "O" ring in the pump bit the dust. Now the decision is whether to spend money on refurbishment or place back in cold storage until a day with nothing better to do.
Have seen the 'Diggers" brand here in CQ in several supermarkets, but don't know if odourless or not.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68470

Follow Up By: Billy - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:35

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:35
Bros,

You definitely want to get your lamp re-furbished, the parts are cheap as chips and readily available. I've not had anything to do with them for many years and was surprised you can still get the stuff. Brandt Bros. in Sydney, Sands in Melbourne and Oil Lamps Australia in Braidwood all do mail order. Probably someone up your way too but I've not checked them out.

Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 329132

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:17

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:17
Billy

I too have been offline for a few weeks. Nothing as much fun as a winter trip just had the head in the books for a while. Now that is out of the way I can get back into the serious stuff.

Anyway didn't see your original post but a couple of things that may help.

Firstly as an alternative to kero I have used citronella in a hurricane lamp. Works a treat and helps to keep the bugs at bay. May not work in the old tilly but.

The other thing that might help you get the kero you are after. The Missus uses a lactose reduced milk that used to be very hard to get. We asked at our local supermarket and they were happy to get it in for us as long as we would buy a whole box. We were and they did. The guy was a bit cunning though and he got a second box that they put on the shelves and it sold like hot cakes. Now since then we have moved and the lactose reduced stuff is like flies on a dead roo but I'm sure you can see where I'm going here. Go to your local IGA or similar the big chains probably won't want to know you.

Good luck
Duncs
AnswerID: 68496

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:16

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:16
Bill
I'm fairly certain that I've seen the odourless kero at Bunnings.
AnswerID: 68638

Reply By: Bros - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 21:14
Bill,
Got the Austramax going okay, but the Handi kero pet needs some TLC. The pricker thingo that runs up the Kero delivery pipe is broken off and the jet is made up.
Saw some Diggers brand kero at the Big W here today and it was branded for "Camping lanterns, stoves and starting of camp fires". Same price as the ordinary Diggers kero.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68725

Follow Up By: Billy - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:03

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:03
Bros,

Which Big W? Down at Macquarie they only have the blue stuff. Moose, which Bunnings?

I've ended up taking Dunc's advice and ordering it in at the local Thrifty Link. (never thought I would teach those old guys up there at Turramurra anything but got them good on this stuff. Mind you they are still waiting for the sniff test!)

Bunnings in this area only seem to stock the dark blue imported C^&P, funny everything else (metho, shellite etc) is Diggers. Mitre 10 is Glendale which is at least good Kero but not odourless.

The Tilley is running in the lounge tonight, could not resist after buring in a new mantle and man does it pump out some HEAT.

Bill
FollowupID: 329373

Reply By: Bros - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:59

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:59
Billy,
The kero was in the variety section of Big W at Gladstone in Central Queensland.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68988

Sponsored Links