First Trip

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:45
ThreadID: 14811 Views:1944 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We are about to embark on our first holiday in our Disco and Aussie Swag Camper. Weare heading out of Coomba to Gloucester, Inverell, Goondiwindi, Roma, Carnarvon Gorge, Longreach, Rockhamption, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island and then to Brisbane to see freinds then home. Any tips on where to stay and what to see would be great. Your thoughts especially on Fraser Is on which camping grounds to stay at would be great.
Doug
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:05

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:05
Doug,

I am convinced that people are putting stuff like this up here to make me jealous cause your travelling and I'm stuck at home.

In Longreach we stayed at the C'Van park closest to the Stcokmans Hall Of Fame they had a guy called Mark Kleinschmidt come in and recite bush poetry around a campfire. He writes the stuff and is great, he also did a couple of the Banjo Patterson calssics. We visited the RFDS, and the Pastoral College as well as the HoF. On Fraser we stayed at Dundubarra but that was a long time ago and things could well have changed. It was nice and quiet when we were there. Just one thing to watch out for, the showers were free unless you wanted hot water in which case you put a coin in the slot. When the coin runs oput so does the hor water but it doesn't gradually fade. One moment hot and steamy the next you're getting stabbed in the back by iceicles (is that how you spell it) coming from the shower rose.

Have a great trip.
Duncs
AnswerID: 68510

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:43

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:43
You're right Duncs. It's done deliberately and maybe I should really stop reading this at work, then I won't get as jealous!
Those showers sound just the thing for masochists like us Land Rover drivers!
FollowupID: 329146

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:13

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:13
Doug,
Approximately 30km from Longreach is the little town of Ilfracombe. The town is one side of the road and there must be nearly a kilometer of historic machinery and a museum on the other.
Take note of the Pub as it has a small caravan park attached and was very cheap a couple of years back. They serve a good countermeal and there is plenty to see.
Previous owner had a rodeo background but it is now owned by a TV Celeb. who's name escapes me (Bridget ? )

A good place to stay and close enough to Longreach to get to the Hall of Fame (plenty of parking) at opening time.Allow a few hours to take it all in.

Have fun
Bob L

AnswerID: 68534

Follow Up By: DougLD - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:21
Hi All
Thanks for your inputBobL & Duncs the advice will be very helpful.Duncs I don't get a chance to read these at work as we are both retired. This is just the first of many trips over the next few years so we can see the rest of Australia.
Doug
FollowupID: 329223

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:47
Hey Doug

I am jealous too - we are just trading in our Aussie Swag after 100,000 kliks - had a ball all round everywhere including Tassie and a few repeat trips including the Kimberley. Will be more sedate now with a caravan. :-(

One tip is to buy one or two of the "Around OZ by 4WD" type books - and read up the treks and ideas in them. We found our only problem was you can't do them all!

Make sure you get your access permit for Fraser Island before you get there as its cheaper - I think the Qld National Parks Web Site sells it. While on the site, see if you can book yourself into Blackdown Tableland National Park for a night or two - its inland from Rocky, and not too far off the road from Longreach.

The Aussie Swag is magic - hope you have as much fun as we have in the past 6 years.

Max
AnswerID: 68718

Sponsored Links