92, 80 series

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:57
ThreadID: 14832 Views:2069 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G,day, im going to look at a 92 cruiser standard diesel, 228,00 km's, power steer, but no air co. apparently reasonable condition $13,000. The person selling is willing to take $11,000. knowing that i would need to spend around $2,000 to install air co. It was mainly used to tow a horse float (also has elec. brakes) has had usual services etc.. What common faults, problems etc. do i need to look at, and do you think this is a good price...

Thank's in advance, Paul.......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:09

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:09
Hi Paul:
I have a 1991 80 Sries (GXL) standard diesel, and have had it for two years. I am completely happy with it, and it now has 250,000 on it. I bought it with 166,000kms.

Common faults - or "things you learn to live with". Standard headlights are pretty ordinary, but there are a range of fixes, covering new wiring looms and a variety of lights. I jsut fitted a pair of driving lights and am happy with that.

Brakes are very "1990's" ... but I just leave extra distance. Again there are a number of fixes, depending on how deep your wallet is.
The engine is not too hard working, but the upside is that you should get the mileage out of it. Not overly expensvie to run, although I have mine serviced every 5,000km. It does not blow any smoke etc etc ......

Gearbox is a bit "notchy", but I have no trouble changing gears now that I have gotten used to it.

Mine seems to have the standard suspension on it, apart from some Firestone air bags in the rear springs (which I like for towing my trailer on trips), and has been able to deal with everything I have dished out to it, and I have not been kind.

Others will tell you of weaknesses in the diff, but I think these problems arise when one is doing serious rock-hopping, and they seem to hold up well on even extreme off-road touring.

The low range capabilites are terrific, esp when descending (or ascending) extremely steep inclines.

Interestingly, with all the windows closed, it still takes most people two (or more)attempts to shut the door due to the good door and window seals. I have done a few deep water crossing and have not any water in the cabin. I have fitted extended diff breathers.

I also like the avaiability of various "add-ons". I have scored things like steel bullbars, a swing away wheel carrier, overhead console, storage drawers etc at incredibly cheap prices from places like eBay. There is no way I could afford to pay full retail for these items. So my beast is pretty well "optioned up" at quite affordable prices.

I love mine and have not even considered a replacement. The price seems good to me. Mine cost a bit more than that 2 years ago, but it was a GXL with a few "bells and whistles". I guess the final decision is all yours.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 68591

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:50

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:50
Hi jack
Im going to be cheaky here and say your motor has not enough power to blow a front diff...lol...thats good in a way.
Your model 80 is the best all rounder made, it sat higher std, and the gearing is excellent aswell as economy on trips
Andrew
94 fzj80 auto
FollowupID: 329357

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 20:11
:)

I think that is the secret, Dozer.

But you are correct in that it runs on almost nothing. On a recent trip when my friend's vehicles were paying $90 or more to fill up, my bill was generally around $60. Soon adds up. Love my Cruiser.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 329364

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:01
Hi Paul,

I had a 1990 std cruiser for ~10 years and it had 300,000kms on it when I sold it 10 months ago. Mine had a lot of extras (2" suspension, 33" tyres, tyre carrier, difflock, cargo barrier, snorkel, extractors + 2 1/2" exhaust, ARB Paratus seat, dual batts etc...) and was in good nick. I got almost $17K for it (cash, not traded).

I reckon they were on of the best 4x4's ever built and would have one again in a flash. Jack has pretty much covered the model well, but one problem I had was the power steering pump and box going. Apparently its common for the box to corrode on the shaft and leak fluid (like mine did). I also had trouble with the alternator, its too low and when it gets mud in it, the brushes don't last long at all (cheap & easy to fix yourselve though).

The only other thing is its S..L..O..W when towing, especially compared to my Dtronic Patrol. I added extractors and a 2 1/2" system and while it made a notable difference, it was still not rocket ship at all.

If Toyota still made the 80, or sold the turbo diesel 100 with a live axle, I may have ended up with that instead of the Patrol. But toyota have gone soft (gee, lets see the response to that) so I now have a live axle Patrol in my driveway. While my Patrol is great, I still miss my 80 (except its lack of power).

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 68608

Follow Up By: paul2.8d - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:49

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:49
Thanks for the info, also i notice in your gear that you have an air jack, i presume exhaust jack, is it bushranger brand? Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 329147

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:31

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:31
Yeah, its an exhaust jack. Not a bushranger, cannot recall the brand at the moment (had it many years, its blue if that helps and I got it from ARB).

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 329154

Follow Up By: paul2.8d - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:48
Just checking, because i have the bushranger 1, which i won off ebay,the actual jack part did not turn up, but thats another story (GGRRRR, but i know where he lives, hahahaha) anyway, i have lots of spare parts...Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 329155

Reply By: tour boy - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:14

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:14
If it is a diesel (early base model you could get a petrol 90- 92) you should change the bearings even in a non turbo as they were a bit soft. These were improved after 92. I had a 91 dx and had the bearings changed by Toyota ($350 supplied and fitted) purely for my own piece of mind at 280km and they were marked but still quiet. Othewise the best Truck I had. Being an ex tour operator I've had 31 cruisers and 3 hiluxes since 1988.
You can probably find one a bit cheaper if you look around even an early GXL for that price. Check out the trading post online www.tradingpost.com.au heaps of them around.
Happy hunting.
AnswerID: 68612

Reply By: Of Mice & Men - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 04:03

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 04:03
Paul,

I bought my 92 model 80 series standard diesel over a year ago now. I paid $15000. It had 225,000km's on clock. It came with a few extras for 4wdriving,bull bar, suspension up-grade, basket for roof etc. I don't disagree with any thing that has been said previously, I use mine for towing camper trailer & it is sluggish etc, but I love it, they are a great vehicle & very strong & reliable.
The only thing that I would have done is before you buy it spend the money & get NRMA (not sure what state you are in) to do a full inspection, just to make sure there are no major problems. Other then that, the price sounds o.k, so happy driveing.

Regards, OM&M.
AnswerID: 69164

Sponsored Links