Freezing in Alice

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:08
ThreadID: 14842 Views:1829 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just back fom 9 days in the centre. Minus 3 yesterday morning in Alice. Made me feel homesick (minus 4 here today). Flying from Alice to Syd yesterday afternoon with the help of the GPS I could make out the Colson Track, French Line and then Cameron Corner very clearly. I really wanted to be down there and driving.

Very cold at Uluru (13) and too windy to climb the Rock.

Trip took in East Macs. Had a look at John Hayes Rock hole but with several tents/vans already there it might well have been John Hayes freckle. The spot we found was at a gravel scrape on the left just past the Trephina Gorge turnoff.

We then headed up the Sandover to Utopia, and camped on a station between the Sandover and the Plenty. Then out to Yuendumu. South on the road to Nyrrippi, then turning toward Mt Wedge and Papunya. Then to Haasts Bluff, Glen Helen, Kings Canyon and the Rock. All familiar territory but leading a group of novices (and art collectors) who were suitably impressed.

The car is boarding the truck in Alice this morning and should be home in ten days. Time to start planning the next trip :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:21
Bob, you have definitely got these desert trips down to a fine art....pun intended :-)
It probably costs a whole lot less to ship the Landy back than to drive(including the airfare)?
AnswerID: 68639

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:51
Willem,
when you factor in 2 or 3 days lost work, the cost of fuel, and the depreciation of the vehicle/tyres etc the $815 for shipping looks reasonable. I always find the trip home pretty tough going as the holiday is over, you have to meet a deadline etc. So to me personally it is money well spent, but I can see how others might enjoy the drive home and prefer to do it that way. I also looked at the cost of just hiring a vehicle in Alice, but then I would have none of my usual gear, would have to ship the swags etc separately, and it would have cost about the same. The airfairs are pretty cheap now that Virgin also flies to Alice.
FollowupID: 329191

Follow Up By: tcp_ip_boy - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:37
Bob,

What shipping company do you use? I looked into this a while ago, but couldn't find anyone.

I am looking at shipping from Darwin to Sydney.

Chris
FollowupID: 329226

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:29

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:29
Chris,
Auto Trans Express
I have used them several times now and have been very happy. Alice to Queanbeyan twice, QBN to Perth, Broome to QBN.
FollowupID: 329275

Reply By: Seto - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 20:13
Bob,

One of the major companies is Shaws who freight Syd-Dar. We have previously used them to ship a car to Darwin.

David
AnswerID: 68712

Sponsored Links