base maps on latest hand held GPS

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:04
ThreadID: 14861 Views:1549 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
can any one tell me if they have contour lines for out of the way places and at what scale?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 17:40
I don't think they have any contour lines as far as I know. Maps on the GPS are very simple vector maps. If you want contour lines you'll need to use topo maps with a laptop or PDA.
AnswerID: 68841

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 23:53

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 23:53
Nudenut - keep in mind there are a number of different brands and models of GPS units out there ...which one are you taking about? It is possible to get contour maps for use with Meridians 1. Magellan Worldwide Basemap has wide spaced contours 2. Get hold of the Magellan Mobilemapper Office software and "aftermarket" software (to modify files for use with Meridians) and make your own - time consuming but possible if you have the contour data in the right format ..and a lot of time ....see the Mobilemapper yahoo user group. Some (eg gpsoz) have gone to the trouble of making some contour maps available online for Meridian (color units only) using Geoscience Australia Data (as used by David for his maps on this site). I dont think too many people have gone to the trouble of making Meridian compatible maps ....the other option - raster maps using OziExplorer etc is toooo easy for those in serious mode..though having it on GPS would be nice. Garmin??
Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 68943

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 07:38

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 07:38
mmmm?
looks as though its not economical to upgrade if all i want is to know where exactly i am when i look at a paper map while walking.
AnswerID: 68954

Reply By: Niko - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:31

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:31
95% of people don't want to do anything more than look at a screen, not interested in creating own maps by spending big dollars and find it doesn't work all that well, if at all. Garmin don'thave anything exciting like Topo for Australia, they don't have the maps for central AU like Magellan AU does. Garmin are good in the hardware dept but lacking in software. Magellan are the only ones who have opened the door a little for development. Garmin won't let any of their secrets out because they have massive market share. However, I will sell both on their merits.
AnswerID: 72063

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:05
i want to be able to read/see exactly where i am on a map (via gps) instead of having to look at a topo map to see actual location
FollowupID: 332276

Sponsored Links