Story for A Current Affair......Fuel Dilution

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:18
ThreadID: 14863 Views:2039 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just thinking about a post that someone added the other day about fuel prices and quality. I think you would have to living under a rock for the last ten years if you thought that all fuel from all bowzers was the same. Some fuel is contaminated unintensionally in a small way, but most dilution is done with the knowledge of the fuel outlet owner. Obviuosly this is done to maximise profit, diluted cheaper products like kerosene , toluene, water and other low grade solvents that do not attract high Govt exise as does Petrol and Diesel. Years ago the Federal Govt had a department of boffins that used to randomly test fuel outlets to ensure that the fuel was 100% what is supposed to be, not from a customer point of view but to make sure that the Govt was getting the full tax from every litre of fuel. Dilution with lower taxed or untaxed solvents would result in lower returns to the Govt coffers. I believe this Department has been disbanded because of the cost of running it some years ago, but i could be wrong. But in any case the motorist seems to be left to fend for himself and complaints about diluted fuel seem to go nowhere. Especially now that the practise is rife.....
Imagine a film crew and reporter and an independant chemist in his white dust coat taking samples of fuel from 3-4 bowsers in some of these dubious discount outlets, The graduated Pyrex glass container for visual inspection and volume. The hostile outlet owner, many of middle eastern appearance...... Would make a great story and the results would welcome. I think we all are aware of one or more outlets like this. A bit different from the crap and sensationalism they dish up now, I'm sick of hearing about how to hipnotise flies and how to make a million dollars whilst you are asleep. Just a thought.... Michael

P,S. Maybe this has already been done....

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:15

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:15
Micheal,

I would take anything you see on the "current affairs" shows with a dose of scepticism.

There is about as much truth in all of their investigative reporting as their is in their stories about 4Wd's and bullbars etc.

Turn it off.

R.
AnswerID: 68793

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:28

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:28
Hiya, i did make that point as well. The local current affairs programs are really tacky and all the same sensationalism,,,
FollowupID: 329298

Reply By: mr diamond - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:25

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:25
i think i remember reading/hearing some where that some of the addatives they used to dodgey up the fuel atracted a higher tax rate so it wasnt worth doing.
unless they have found something else to add.
AnswerID: 68795

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:31

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:31
Thers is still plenty of crap fuel about, how does the average mototist fix it when the proper authorities ignore it?? Modern engines, diesel and petrol requires good fuel or the big repair bills roll in.
FollowupID: 329299

Follow Up By: mr diamond - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:38

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:38
bloody government.
FollowupID: 329301

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:55

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:55
No matter who you vote for, you always end up with a politician.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 68799

Reply By: madcow - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:02

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 13:02
I always fill up where the truckies do. You always get fresh fuel with the knowledge that you get what you pay for. 2c per litre extra is a small price for peace of mind
AnswerID: 68800

Reply By: Member - Mark S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 14:17

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 14:17
Customs used to do this but during a reorg of Federal Govt departments it went to Taxation. There is no longer the need to be as proactive as there are not the complaints from the public as there were 5yrs ago. As for filling up where the truckies do - due to the high miles and cost it is cheaper to pay for a rebuild compared to the price of fuel - be very wary. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68814

Reply By: Rob W. - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 14:41

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 14:41
For what it's worth, I always use the major suppliers for diesel (Mobil, Caltex, Shell etc) I won't go near the indipendant outlets. I regularly take a clean glass jar(jam jar) with me and put a bit of fuel in the jar and have a look to see if it's clean and clear,(about the colour of a glass of wine) before I fill the tank, but even then it would be hard to tell if it had additives in it I suppose.
AnswerID: 68817

Sponsored Links