When trying to conserve fuel when running

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 07:52
ThreadID: 14899 Views:2405 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
a generator for an fridge

a)is it better to charge a battery from gen and let the fridge run off battery
or
b) do you simply forget about it and run fridge directly form 240v off gen?

Is one way very much more fuel efficient than the other?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:26

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:26
a

Baz.
AnswerID: 68970

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:18

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:18
Yes I will go with a) - fridge doesnt run all the time but generator will. If you run off the battery, power consumption stops when fridge stops. The fridge will run better off the generator though, as full power all the time as required.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 69007

Reply By: Well 55 - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:15

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:15
I run the fridge off the Gennie and charge the battery through a charger, best of both in my view.
AnswerID: 69014

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:28

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:28
My idea on this is, which is the way we do it in a long stay camp, is to run the gen. for say a tank of fuel a day, and while the gen is on, charge your battery either direct from gen, 8amps, or if you have a 20 amp 240v charger plug that in as it will charge even more, and switch the fridge to 240v, that way all the 12v charge is going into reserve in the battery and the fridge is running for free, and change back to 12v when gen goes off. A lot of people do it in the late afternoon and run a light or 2 while they are preparing tea and eating etc.and get this added bonus while the gen is going, and less likely to disturb other people in the day time.
Hope I havent confused you give me a call if I have.
Do you have a 2kva honda gen or are you buying one it is excessivly big if you are buying it for this job ?
Did you do anything about your swags?
AnswerID: 69017

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:52

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:52
got the honda eu20 for the business for when i am away from power point etc etc etc hehe accountant believed me hahaha...still trying to get him to allow me to claim a new GPS.... I need it to find the job site??....must speak to him about the sat phone i just got hehehehe

I think your saying: run a 240v -12v 10amp DC charger and fridge off 240volt all at the same time?

swag...what swag...cant find what i want...and at the moment i dont have enough time in the days left before i go away...so am going to borrow one.
FollowupID: 329433

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:03

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:03
That what I do but I have a 20 amp Smart charger (12 volt shop) But I also put the bred maker on charge up Mobile, shaver, use any ting else 240. But use the fridge on 240 whilst charging battery.
FollowupID: 329536

Reply By: greydemon - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:56

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:56
If you are planning to camp within 5 kms of anyone else the best option is always to leave your generator at home. (Please)

8-)
AnswerID: 69022

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:10

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:10
leaving it at home is not the best option if i want to keep my perishables in edible condition...and if I am there first (made camp before others) then they can camp as near or as far away as they like.....
FollowupID: 329436

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:04

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:04
I carnt hear mine from 100m Honda EU10 4 stroke
FollowupID: 329537

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:20

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:20
For my own use, I have top notch overlander batteries in a dual setup with the engel running on 2. I do not need to start the car for 4 days.

If I intend on camping for a lengthy period of time, the shower I have at night using the twine works for two puposes:

1. Heats the water and;
2. Charges both batteries evenly for the 30 or so minutes that the car is running while all people shower.

If 2. is done everyday, you have no need for the genny, and your batteries stay up around 12 volts. Saves on carrying the genny and fuel.

Just my own two bobs worth that works for my fam!
AnswerID: 69026

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:38

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:38
Chris, is the best way to go I agree. Some just like to get on others goat. Why take 240v gear if you don't need it and 12v (well 13.8v anyway) gear does the job?
FollowupID: 329445

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 16:09

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 16:09
JohnR,
what do you mean "Some just like to get on others goat."
FollowupID: 329448

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 18:50

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 18:50
Australian slang term Nudie, to irritate....

Have youy never noticed a nice quiet camp disrupted by a generator or even worse a chainsaw? Well, perhaps you have never noticed.

I guess to some it is part of nature that most like to get to...... even with my level of industrial deafness I find it gets on my goat.

It's alright Nudie I have never camped near you. I was agreeing with Chris above.
FollowupID: 329465

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:09

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:09
I dont understand why people say the gen is noisy and uses too much fuel (2lt for 6hours) then they run a 4wd huge motor to charge the bateries whilst stationary. Same noise to me.
FollowupID: 329539

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 07:37

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 07:37
John R,
i think you mean "goad"? which is not aussie slang

And as Rox says above (as you agree with ChrisM)....it must be alright to run an even NOISIER vehicle engine to top up your batteries.
Eh? double standards???
FollowupID: 329544

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:08

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:08
For Rox's and nudenuts post, I'm neutral here, however I must admit that John and I don't have double standards as running a motor for 30 mins once a day and running a genny for most of the day is completely different.

Whilst I agree that the fuel usage would mostly be equal, the effect on the camping environment is completely different, and the space saving benefits of not carrying a genny and fuel in the vehicle and/or camper works for us.

Not havin' a go, just puttin my two bobs worth out there! Whatever way we choose to go, camping and getting there is the most enjoyable thing you can do(i feel) in this great country!!!

FollowupID: 329547

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:49

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:49
Nudie, guess your interpersonals may seem like goad, but you asked the question at the top and then set up to say why you were right. I have said before that people with trailers always like to take them loaded too and it seems like the bigger Honda is an overkill in relation to Rox, yes even tax payer funded.

I think Chris' and my opinions are aligned. Neither have tried to try to justify another lot of expenditure. We also run the truck for hot water as well as charge the batteies. I will try to encourage others to try to travel light while I can, and I bet an idling Nissan motor is pretty quiet.

Hardly need to run it extra anyway at the end of a travelling day when the water is really hot for that shower anway, and the batteries charged...
FollowupID: 329563

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:30

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:30
well I wont have the luxury of being able to travel to my daily destinations by car...we will be hoofing it all day with packs fro and to camp.
who was talking expediture? and you did not contribute one cent to my benefit!

it is not feasible that your diesel at idle idle can have a lower NR than the honda UE20 unless you put a sound proof enclosure over it. Diesels run very much higher combustion tatios.

Remeber db is not a linear scale so a small increase in noise does not mean a proportional % increase
FollowupID: 329566

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:42

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:42
Wow, now we're getting technical!

I think you may have missed the point.

To charge batteries, and have shower - 30 mins of diesel motor.

To charge batteries and/or power fridge with genny - X amount of hours

All I'm saying is that whilst the diesel motor is a few db's louder, it accounts for 'killing two birds with one stone', that is showering and charging batteries in and perhaps under 30 mins.

Fortunately, this difference in view isn't going to change the world, and we have a beautiful day to enjoy in QLD and is better spent outside rather than inside in front of this ruddy computer! Whatever your choice of power source, enjoy your holiday, and the cold beer.
FollowupID: 329567

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:02

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:02
well we have a beautiful day here also in Adeliade....raining so I am going out to lunch!
FollowupID: 329576

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 23:30

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 23:30
Yes Nudie I am saying run the 2 together when gen. is running, but if you only have 10amp charger you will be better off using the 8 amp dc straight off the gen as the charger will rarely put out more than 7-8 amps.
AnswerID: 69153

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:06

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:06
As you can't use a generator in a national park, and other campers are generally annoyed by the generators un-natural noise in the quiet and serenity of the bush....

best method is to use Solar Power to recharge your battery system, tis free and creates no noise, and your friends in the bush will think you are a realy nice person for not using an annoying generator and reminding them that they are there generally to get away from the noises of the city, not to be reminded of it.

I have seen the drastic results an unhappy camper used on a xxxx generator user, it was an expencive mistake he made by starting his generator, when he had been 'advised' it would be nicer if did not start it in the general area of the people already parked near the river.
Unfortunately his vehicle was damaged, .............. beyond repair.
AnswerID: 70170

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:35

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:35
mmm ...hate to inform you ...but

1. Going to National Park
2. Taking gen to keep battery charged to run fridge and for lights as well
3 Wont disturb any one else except us...i assure you

i may consider solar for future trips for when and if i may need to camp along side others......but if i am there 1st... bad luck!

Am I reading that correctly...they (the f&^%@#$ Vandals) damaged his car beyond repair for running gen.....and they are better persons?????
FollowupID: 330387

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:45

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:45
In West Australia it is illegal to use a generator in any National Park, so if you come here and use a generator and get caught by the Ranger you will get into trouble.
As to damage to the 4x4, he was informed on numerous times by campers to give them some peace and quiet and during the nite his gen & 4x4 burnt out, and yes it my have been an accident :(

As you stated: "3 Wont disturb any one else except us..."
then you won't have a hassle with other campers, only the Ranger.
AnswerID: 70181

Reply By: Member - Tony D (WA) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 17:52

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 17:52
Not strickly true re WA national parks. I was just in two, Karijini and Cape Range both have sections that specifically allow Gens.

The anti Gen group seem to me to have the same logic as the anti 4WD group. Both seem to think that their specific use of technology is justified and others is not. Bottom line is if it is used appropriately and in consideration of others then where is the problem? I ran my gen (at certain appropriate times)with a long ext cord, down wind away from others and I could not hear it so they cerainly could not. The funny thing was, talking to others the next day they said I am glad you didn't have a gen. But if they initialy saw that I had a gen I'm sure they would have said it kept them up all night even if I wasn't running.

Having said that I will also look into solar as an adjunct so that I won't need to run the gen as long, especially for recharging of the batteries whilst at a stationary (more that a day) camp site.

Don't try and grab the moral high ground, there is always someone that thinks they are above you.

AnswerID: 70769

Sponsored Links