BFG AT's sidewall delamination

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:34
ThreadID: 14910 Views:2492 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just acquired some 265x16 ATs with KO markings on 100 series rims on a 78 series troopcarrier. Performance on sand great with lowered tyre pressures. I just a bit worried that there were reports of tyre sidewall damage after running low pressures, is this the case with this brand??
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:59

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:59
I have heard of it on this forum, however I know a lot of people with them running with very heavy 4bies, some have even gone as low as 5psi. Have not heard any problems from these guys...
Apparantly there are some made in USA and some made in Asia, this is rumoured to me the difference between problems and no problems...
IMO You've got to let your tyres down anyway, so just keep an eye on them for cracks.
AnswerID: 69049

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 16:25

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 16:25
Hi Ian,

I had 33x10.5R15 BFG T/A KO's on my 80 series. I was disappointed with the KO range life due to damage to the tread area. It was like the tyre had been puntured internally, right at the edge of the tread, in 2 or 3 places. There were steel strands sticking out of the tyre, between the tread lugs. I had previously run 31x10.5R15 BFG T/A's for ~8 years and they were great.

When asking the retailer, he said it was caused by running too low air pressure for too long and the steel belts had "flexed" internally and pierced the tread area. Now on this particular set of tyres, I never went below 20 psi and even then, not for any great distance (but I did run long distances at 45 psi with a full load + 1.6T offroad van).

So when I got my GU I decided to try the Cooper ST's and after nearly 20,000kms I am very happy. I have found them equivalent on-road (except they are noiser), but MUCH better offroad (only have to look at the tread patern to see why). Tread wear is minimal, only 1.5mm on average when I rotated them at 15,000kms (about to rotate again and will measure tread wear).

I still think the BFG is a good tyre, but that the KO range didn't live up to my expectations based on the old T/A. Whether my problem was a one-off I don't know, but it was enough to prompt me to try a change after so many years with one brand. Not knocking the brand, just my experience with them.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 69056

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 17:40

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 17:40
I have had my KOs down to 12psi with no problems (245/70R16 on a Jackaroo, US made KOs).

But I have heard of other's that get cracking along the tread shoulder and it is said to be brought on by running pressures too low.

AnswerID: 69062

Sponsored Links