Found some Blue Mountains tracks

Submitted: Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1492 Views:1735 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thank you to those who responded to my earlier postings. I did actually find 4 short trails that were open to the public in the Blue Mountains area, after talking to the local NPWS office. Out of Blackheath, there is Ridgewell road and Hat Hill Road. Ridgewell Road takes you to a very spectacular, but unprotected lookout called Hanging Rock. If you have kids, be careful, it has to be over 200m to the bottom of this drop. The track is a rutted in places but a well driven normal car can negotiate in to it. During rain it is 4WD only. Hat Hill Road is just an unsealed road that ends at Perrys Lookdown, Anvil Rock and the wind eroded cave. The track is corrugated in places but any car will do it. North of Leura is the Mt Hay Road. 16kms long, it is rutted and corrugated, but not difficult. It had started raining while we were on this track and we witnessed a Camry wheel spinning its way up the track. The driver was adamant that he can make it but we had our doubts. The end of the track is where the Mt Hay walking track starts. It is at the top of a hill with close to 300deg views over the valley and to Mt Hay. I would love to view this region during a full moon. Narrowneck out of Katoomba is a short fire trail with great views into the Jamieson and Megalong valleys.
PS .... The Camry came out about two minutes after us with half his front bumper missing!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Good Onya Savvas, I forgot all about Hat Hill Rd. Glad you found it. I didn't mention Narrowneck 'cause I thought you were after something more difficult, but it is a great spot to take the little ones. There are a few spots you can stop and walk off the track for a while (near the Katoomba Landslide is one; the walk descends into almost rainforest flora). I might get out there this weekend after reading of your exploits! Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 4880

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Ridgewell Road and Mt Hay were easily my favourites of the 4 tracks. The views at the end of both are absolutely spectacular. I reckon the views during a full moon night would be quite awesome.
FollowupID: 2082

Sponsored Links