aftermarket turbo NissanGQ TD42 Diesel

Submitted: Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1493 Views:3582 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Are their any problems with fitting an after market turbo to the GQ diesel? All the sales people say no there are no problems but like any thing,its only when you experience it youself that the problems show up.

Two concerns are 1. Running hotter and 2. fuel consumption when towing .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
graham ,i have fitted one to my toyota 80 series,,and have found it to be excellent,,, fuel is about the same as before and towing is much more enjoyable also no difference in tempreture,,, just cruises anywhere on the highway at a 100 Ks no probs,,,,i dont think u can go wrong ,,,,,ian
AnswerID: 4858

Reply By: colin - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

hi grahem, i have a 92 patrol 4.2, looked at fitting a turbo and was not impressed, so looked at a supercharger, and fitted one, unreal, like driveing a big petrol, starts working from idle and keeps going to the red line. i tow a 20 ft boat and it makes things so much easier. also they are easier on bottom ends of used motors, unlike turbos, and if they play up just take the belt off and you can keep driveing, and there is no heat like a turbo. the unit is the same as what is fitted to the v6 commodore, so all parts are available from holden. if you live in brisbane i would gladly show you the set up. my e mail is kiwicol@optusnet.com.au regards col
AnswerID: 4859

Reply By: Rob - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Graham, we have had ours for just under 2 years now and it was turbo / intercooled when we got it. Both safari brand. Re your 2 concerns, yes, they do run hotter when on boost and under load but once you understand that, you just need to monitor and adjust your driving to suit. back it off a touch and it soons cools back to normal op temp. I do believe that the intercooler contributes to this due to the restriction in airflow. Air flows through a 2 in intercooler, then the aircon condensor, and finally it reaches the radiator to give some cooling effect to the motor.

Fuel use towing, I don't have a pre-turbo comparison but I would think it may be ever so slightly better, ours is certainly no worse than other GQ 4.2D's of friends. Not towing would be slightly worse because you tend to use the power when it is available.

On the open road there is no comparison, due to the gearing it is constantly on boost and therefore power to burn. On club trips we just cruise up hills without trying and when you check the rearview mirror, the others are way behind and 1 or 2 gears down. Either that or you're constantly backing off if they are in front.

Off road presents a challenge as it took a bit of learning to get the best from it. Ours seems to start boost effect from 1500rpm and feels unstoppable at 2100rpm and up. It will easily pull up steep hills in 1 higher gear than a normally aspirated, but back off a bit due to a bit of rough terrain or whatever and then expect to just power away at loww revs and it is easy to be caught out in too high a gear.

Setting your boost pressure is a variable to consider, ours was set to factory specs by the previous owner, which tends to negate some of the benefits of the intercooler, but he was after longevity of the motor rather than outright performance at all costs. Raising boost pressure to increase performance would naturally increase heat load.

My experiences, Rob
AnswerID: 4877

Reply By: troy - Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00
graham don!t be silly it does not pay to change what the manufactor had intended for the vehilce. sell it and buy a jeep heeps of power good fuel economy happy motoring.
AnswerID: 4984

Sponsored Links