Garmin iQue 3600

Submitted: Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:04
ThreadID: 14939 Views:1808 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all I've had a look at the new Garmin iQue PDA/GPS and it looks very good comes with city navigator car kit etc. but I'm not sure if It will run Oziexplorer?
The unit is PALM based with a SD slot can anyone enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 12:25

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 12:25
Just looked at your second rig pic. I always thoughthe was Russell Coight. Does he send out autographed photos of his pootrol.
AnswerID: 69239

Follow Up By: Member - Gerk Yorke Pen (SA) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 15:46

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 15:46
Found out that the iQue won't run on Ozi because they are PALM based but did find out thanks to Brian at www gpsoz.com.au that wwwfugawi.com can supply for the palm system.
Recomended price on the garmin is around $1450
FollowupID: 329608

Reply By: Geoff (SA) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 15:02

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 15:02
How much for the Garmin Paul?
AnswerID: 69254

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 18:45

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 18:45
A friend of mine has one and it has whole areas missing from the map. Good around town but out bush it leaves a bit to be desired.

Make sure the map has the bush on it or if it only works as a city navigator.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 69317

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 19:09

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 19:09
This is the basic difference between raster and vector mapping.

The Magellan DiscoverAus CD (which I have) and the Garmin Mapsource are vector based maps. The computer/PDA reads information from a database to calculate and build the map for display at any scale and the words all stay the same size.

OziExplorer is a raster map program which is basically just a big picture. When you zoom in the features get bigger including the words which are just printed on the map. This is why you can scan maps and aerial photos and calibrate them for use with OziExplorer.

Vector maps take sophisticated software to produce. They mostly show roads and points of interest while raster maps can be quite detailed and show topo lines and other features. To illustrate the different sizes I can fit vector maps of the whole of Australia showing every street in every town and every outback track on a 256Mb SD card and have room to store a few track files. In contrast, I have a raster map for OziExplorer of the Mount Lofty Ranges, Flurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island and it just fit on a 650Mb CD. The difference is that the raster maps has full topo detail while the vector map only shows the roads, outines of water bodies and popints of interest.

To use raster maps on a PDA uses huge amounts of memory which usually means using large expensive memory cards. Also many PDAs only have one slot and if you have to use this for the GPS attachment then you have no storage for the maps.

The new Garmin has an integrated GPS receiver as well as a memory slot.

Then there are the two major breeds of PDA. Windows CE (a PDA cut down version of Windows) and the PALM operating system. Most of the good software seems to be on WinCE but it seems from another reply above that OziExplorer is available for palm. That would be good because I have a Palm Tungsten C.

Hope my outpouring of facts helps some people in thier choice!!!!

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 69322

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:33

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:33
Muddy - good summary - just one or two points - yes raster maps require lots of memory for storage (not neccessarily to actually "run" as, for example OziCE is page only - only that part of map in view is loaded into memory). Memory cards arent that expensive and are getting cheaper every day (I have a 512 Cf card which cost ~$140, 256mb SD - $75)...though I suppose some may think this IS expensive?

It is possible to use maps if you dont have any spare memeory card slots - PDA's generally have 64mb or 128mb of storage space for programs and data so you can easily have maps for specific areas loaded direct onto unit while using CF slot for gps. Your other option is to use a Bluetooth or standard GPS thereby freeing up the memeory card slot if need be. As mentioned in previous posts on this subject dual memory slot PDA's are the go (eg HP 2210).
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 329711

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:17

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:17
I second Greg's comments. I have a 256mb card for my IPAQ and have put 40 maps from the natmap 1:250k series. I did crop and rescale them but got them all into just under 200mb. Our trip is a 6500k trip so I figured this setup was good for any trip we do.

Plus I will take the laptop any way for downdoading photos so will have all the other maps handy incase we detour.

Gaz
FollowupID: 332449

Reply By: Nigel (WA) - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 19:09

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 19:09
Heya Gerk Yorke Pen

Have you tried the Oziexplorer CE Software? OziExplorer CE is GPS Mapping Software allows you to work with maps on a PDA/CE that you create from scanned or purchased digital raster maps.

Have a read about it
AnswerID: 69323

Reply By: Niko - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:59

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:59
I don't know about you but the issue with raster maps is that it becomes pixellated as you zoom in. This sometimes makes it difficult to work out whether it is a map or a work of art. What you could consider is a HP PDA that allows noth options, Raster and or Vector. BT GPS allows the PDA to be anywhere in your vehicle/boat etc and is going cheap at my place.

Nothing outside of Garmin software works on a Garmin, unless you buy the iQue3600/3200. But then again, who wants a Palm?
AnswerID: 72069

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:28

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:28
Using Natmaps 1:250k scale each pixel covers just over 30m. Unless you are looking for buried treasure this is plenty accruate enough. Using a more detailed scale you can achieve even more accuracy. e.g. my melways map is down to 4m per pixel which is about as accurate as the GPS.

I used to think vectors were better beacuse they were infinately scalable but having used raster mapping I wouldn't change.

Gaz
AnswerID: 72243

Sponsored Links