Is This Trip Safe

Submitted: Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1494 Views:1713 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. I am planning a trip to Central Australia and one of the trips I would like to do is from Kulgera-Finke-Bundooma-Titjikala-Chambers Pillar-Maryvale-Rodinga-Alice Springs following the old Ghan Railway Line and the Old South Road. My question is, can this trip be safely negotiated by a lone traveller (well equpped LandCruiser 100 series, no winch) or is it a convoy type trip? All advise appreciated. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
This, as I found it, is a simple dirt road trip and is not a problem in a decent vehicle. I did the run last year (in an 80 Series) and its a Sunday drive ! .. be careful on the bends before Maryvale (heading North ) as a head on occured on these bends... speed was probably a factor...its generally a single lane road and has a lot of straight bits !!! You will see plenty of old rail spikes littering the surface of the road where the old tracks used to be !! Lone travellers are well advised to have an HF radio and tune in to VHS 737 for all trips in the Outback.. an essential piece of equipment for my monet , and in 5 years of travelling I have never used my winch !

Steve
AnswerID: 4864

Reply By: Wayne - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00
PG
Just got back from a trip which included the above route that we did five / six days ago.

We did solo in a Landcruiser 100 series towing a camper trailer.

No problems but watch the "road" between Finke and Maryvale.

We have just finished a 12,000 km trip including the Gibb river road and this section had the worst corrugations we had driven on.

The track to Chambers Pillar was better than this "road".

Hope this helps
Rgds Wayne
AnswerID: 5013

Sponsored Links