Jayco Expanda

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:57
ThreadID: 14975 Views:8491 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We are considering a purchase of the Jayco Expanda 16' pop-top caravan (probably the "offroad" version). 2 adults and 2 young kiddies. Has anyone out there got one or knows someone who has one, and can give me a bit of feedback on the van (good points / bad points / likes / dislikes). Its a fairly new van, and the fold-down beds give heaps of internal space, but does that result in somethings that will fall to bits on the Tanami??

Cheers
al_n_ang
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 23:12

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 23:12
Hi,

Do a searsh of the Forum Archives. There are 16 current posts with the word Jayco and 247 archived posts.

Refine the search wording and you will probably get what you are looking for.

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 69468

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 23:22

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 23:22
We had a look at the Jayco while looking for a camper trailer and spoke to people who had them, only bad problem we came across was that they don't seal as well as Jayco claim they do, but none of the people we spoke too seem to mind just learned to except it, the pluses out wayed the minuses. There are some ways of over coming the dust issues, they are sturdy with lots of room and easy to tow that was one of the big pluses we found out about and most off road campers these days are built tough just a matter of what suits your needs. hope this helps.

Baz.
AnswerID: 69470

Follow Up By: al_n_ang - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 23:34

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 23:34
Baz
Thanks - when you say they don't seal as well as Jayco claim, is that seal for dust / water or both?? and presumably this is only a problem around the doors and fold-down beds.

I suppose you can always tape up these seals to minimise bulldust

al_n_ang
FollowupID: 329784

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:20

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:20
Yes just dust, the other place was the vent for the fridge but as i said there is a fix for these, i'm sure you will find a Jayco owner who will give you these remidies.

Baz.
FollowupID: 329810

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 05:28

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 05:28
Hi there,

I have the Windsor Rapid offroad van for me, the Mrs & my 7 & 5 year old. The Jayco Expanda is very similair to the Windsor Rapid, with one of the major exceptions being that the Jayco has a canvas roof section on the foldout. The Windsor is designed such that you have a metal roof section, much better IMHO as it is much warmer and waterproof. I have been in some very cold nights and also torrential rain, very good in both. I am not sure, but believe the Jayco may have "flys" to go over the canvas section for wet weather (I know their campers do)

Also, when you fold up the Jayco, the bedding is in contact with "wet" canvas whereas the Windsor haves the bedding facing into the van and completely untouched by the canvas. This is a major advantage.

I do not know much about the toughness of the Jayco, but I have had my Windsor on some pretty corrugated gravel tracks. It has independednt suspension with shocks and it has come through with flying colours. Only issue being stone dents on the front of the van, even though a full length rear mudflap was in place. With these vans, their sheer size is what limits you offroad on the tighter tracks, but mine has proven to be great on gravel (badly corrugated ). I have lost aerials, indicators and got some dings on the sides from some of the tracks I have taken my van down.

There is a small pic on my rig pic to give you an idea about the Rapid. I could go on for ages here, but if you want any more info just leave an email address.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 69476

Follow Up By: marcus - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:05

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:05
I also did a comparison between the Jayco and the Rapid at a recent Caravan and camping show.Although marginally more expensive the Windsor rapid impressed me with its finish over the Jayco and as captain said a great design with a solid roof over the sleeping areas.I would be cautious taking the Jayco over rough corrugated roads.
cheers mark
FollowupID: 329865

Sponsored Links