Patrol Power socket fuse confusion

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:02
ThreadID: 14997 Views:2078 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone else blown the power socket fuse fuse? I did whilst playing around with an inverter as the connections were exposed when I tried to locate it under the seat. No problem I says to myself there are spare fuses and the fuse is marked as in the electrical box next to the battery.

Problem was this fuse was not blown. After checking the 'Cig Lighter' fuse and all of the 'Electrical Equipment' fuses they were all intact!

I noted that the mini blade fuses hav the terminals exposed on the back so I set work with a multimeter to find out what fuse on the Accessories Bus had blown. After a couple of minutes I discovered it was the 'Headlamp Washer' fuse!! After replacement the inverter sprung back to life.

Is this normal? From other peoples experience, what other cooky wiring can I expect as I blow up other fuses?

Jamie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:13

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:13
goodday jamie
dont know about fuses but what size invertor are you running ?to drive what ?
please
steve
AnswerID: 69570

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:15

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:15
Gob&D

its a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter to run a laptop in the back for the kids when we go on long trips. I will wire it in properly when I get it all set up but was just playing around on the weekend with it

Jamie
FollowupID: 329919

Reply By: mr diamond - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:42

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:42
my thinking would be they fuse it there because when the fuse does blow it dosnt really matter if your headlight washes dont work and also saves on them making another fuse holder lol.
AnswerID: 69585

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:03

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:03
That's why they make washer fuses 30amp, don't need it all for the washer but very handy for those of us, (like yourself), who like to add extras. Beware if using an inverter, it may be a power socket but certainly not heavy duty. Check wiring thickness
rolande
AnswerID: 69593

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:17

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:17
Rolande and Mr Diamond

The odd thing I thought is that there is a power socket fuse in the main electrical box near the battery. It makes me wonder what runs through that fuse!

Jamie
FollowupID: 329920

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:08

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:08
Jamie,
Not the same vehicle but on my NM Pajero in Dubbo last year, hooked up the trailer in the morning and had the brake warning, battery warning and Auto transmission temp warning lights on and no indicators working. This was after quite a viscious thunder storm the night before. Thought lightning may have spiked the computer :-(( Called the local NRMA guy, he scratched his head for a while and then started to work his way through the fuse box checking fuses. Would you believe, it was the hazard light fuse blown.
Go figure.......

John
AnswerID: 69679

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:27

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:27
John

That is as bizzare as could be expected from the white man magic called electricity. Fortunately a lot of people are endowed with a good level of investigative ability and after a little frustraion get the machine sorted out. I wonder why the manufactures don't do it in a more logical way so us mere customers can figure it out easier. Then again there are different levels of logic I suppose.

Jamie
FollowupID: 329927

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:25

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:25
Jamie,
The NRMA guy said that this sort of thing is common these days and the combination of lights is usually an error code that ponts to the problem. Only thing is you need to be a Mutsubishi tech to have access to the manuals and codes! Not much use when your in the bush.
Can't even get a service manual yet for the NM and it was released 4 years ago. Could maybe get one from Mitsibishi but we mere mortals don't have that much money :-(
John
FollowupID: 329928

Sponsored Links