Gary Junction Road

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:58
ThreadID: 15005 Views:2040 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We had decided to head up to the Kimberly's next year, heading from Alice Springs up the Tanami Track then across to Broome.Now after reading this months(or is that next months or the next?) 4WD monthly I like the look of the Gary Junction Rd and then on up the Wapet Rd.See'ing as two of the vehicles will be ULP it looks as though we will have to pre-order our ULP.I know things change from day to day but has any one had any dramas with fuel deliveries along here or can give advise to help things go smoothly.
Finally, who's done the track and what were your thoughts.
Thanks All Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomad - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 21:45

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 21:45
G'day Nick

Haven't done the track, but every thing I read says that because of the sniffing thing the don't sell ULP, generally. I would make a few phone calls to the known fuel stops along the way and find out. Apparently avgas is available but whilst it will probaly get you out of trouble, it might cause more trouble than it's worth. Mate, get a diesel.
AnswerID: 69624

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 21:55

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 21:55
I have just completed the Gary Hwy from the Tanami turn off to Kiwirrkurra Aboriginal Community and return.

No Petrol. Full Stop due to reason already stated, this you will find is very very common in all areas of Australia.
Kiwirrkurra sell Avgas and Diesel.
I think you will find that you can't even get a Petrol delivery as the communities have banned it in their areas.

As said, buy a Diesel. Sorry.

The Road is pretty good in the area that I did.
Locals drive it in 2wd vehicles on avgas all the time.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 69630

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:44

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:44
Just reading some of these posts and cannot help myself..regarding the English..there is no such place as the Kimberlys..Kimberly , yes...just as similar to the Sunraysia...do hope my spelling is correct...
AnswerID: 69693

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:27

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:27
Kimberley would be correct I believe
FollowupID: 329987

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:22

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:22
Nick,
we drove from Warakurna to Kintore (SBJT), the west to Kiwirrkurra, then on to Well33 and then via Wapet (Kidson) to 80 mile Beach at Easter. Comments about fuel are correct - there is no ULP. You'll need to take enough with you from Alice (or Yuendumu), use Avgas, or trade up to a diesel. ULP at Well 33 is $1.80/L, which is fair enough given the cost of getting it there and the low turnover. Yep, there is only one Kimberley.
The track is easy, provided it hasn't dumped 10 inches in the weeks before you go.
AnswerID: 69729

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:59

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:59
Thanks all for the replies.We already have a Diesel but will be travelling with a 80 Series and Pajero, both ULP's.Will make some phone calls a bit closer to depature time.
Point taken with the Kimberly.
AnswerID: 69734

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:27
Just came back from there,
Gary junction road is BEUATIFUL, but dont tell too many people!!!
I went the sandy bligh to gary junction, to the gary junction, then went out to punmu to try and get through the Telfer mine road, but found out after 300km of backtracking there was an inland sea!!
Kunawaritji ($1.80 per litre- cash for diesel) said we were the 1st tourists through, so we had to go thruogh the Warpet road (or known as the Kidson track) which was fine.
There was a few washaways as we were one of the 1st, so we had t bush bash around some holes.
Recommend going that way, youll just have to carry a LOT of petrol, or get it delivered.
AnswerID: 70052

Sponsored Links